I give up - going to pack it in for now

Sadly I feel stuck with our trip after Thanksgiving. We rented DVC points back in Jan for our trip and since thing should be "mostly" open by then I don't see how we could even entertain the idea being able to get a refund on our room because of how the rentals work. And of course we also purchased park tickets (with PH) back in Feb before the price increases kicked in. And before all of this new nonsense came raining down last night we literally just booked our airfare yesterday for our travel dates. The only thing we aren't out for is that we were not doing the DDP this trip but still were about to make a handful of ADRs on Sunday (5/31) and now that is delayed 120 days for now. And our trip is a combo trip to USO as well so suddenly we are in for a LOT of money for a lot of unknowns.

I'm trying to be patient and think that surely more level-headed decisions will be made between now and then but with last night's announcements it seems to be going the OTHER direction and I'm at a total loss as to what Disney is possibly thinking. They might as well just announce to the public: "We're open, but we really don't want anyone to come." Frustrated and I can't imagine those that had late summer trips planned, they have been completely steam-rolled by all of this. Very sad all the way around.

Does the airline you booked with allow you to cancel within 24hrs. That might be an option to get something back. The value of your tickets will remain after they expire. So there's that.

Does the airline you booked with allow you to cancel within 24hrs. That might be an option to get something back. The value of your tickets will remain after they expire. So there's that.

At this point we just have to be patient. A lot can change in 6 months, the question is will Disney change for the better between now and then. Just don't know.

With the newly announced changes, I am going to call Disney to cancel our trip. My daughter will be heartbroken, but with all of the unknowns and the drastic reductions they just announced I cannot rationalize spending the amount of money our trip would cost without everything she loves (castle shows, parades, meeting the characters, character meals, park hopping, fireworks). Maybe things will change but, maybe they won't. I don't want her to continue to get her hopes up for them to close the parks if there is a spike in cases, or have it be nowhere close to the experiences we have had in the past and leave her disappointed. Hopefully everything is back to normal by the end of 2021.

Disregard the footer; I haven't been on these boards for a while and the countdown is from a few years back. I need to remember how to go in and change it

You forgot , no meet and greets. This is probably our deal breaker. It's our 3 year old's 4th birthday when we were going to go. She wanted to do BBB, eat at CRT and see Elsa and Ana. I'm not spending $350 to eat at CRT if the princesses have masks on. We are booked for November and I'm sure some restrictions will be lifted but it's too much of a gamble. We Just booked another vacation for that week and will be cancelling Disney and going back in a couple years.

I was so gung ho and let me get my Disney on anyway I can. But we were bringing my DD 17 best friend who hasn't been to Disney since she was little. They wanted to Princess Bon Voyage Breakfast and 'Ohana. But my wife is the realist and said, the big reason was the character meals. That was the final nail.

At this point we just have to be patient. A lot can change in 6 months, the question is will Disney change for the better between now and then. Just don't know.

I feel bad as you do seem to be stuck in a wait and see mode. I am sure Disney wants to ramp up as soon as possible, but nobody wants to be first and seen as being "unsafe". So using a term I hate, we have to wait and see what the new normal is and what we may be able to get back. Getting back to the old normal is going to be years off.

Honestly, my family would still go if we could. We had a spring break trip planned which would have been our last family vacation with my high school senior. We rescheduled from late March to first week of July...which is of course the week BEFORE they open. I've been looking forward to this one last family vacation before he goes off to college. I know we will still potentially have summer & winter breaks to vacation together. I don't know how to explain it...our last family trip before he becomes an adult? So I'm disappointed that we probably won't be able to reschedule for this summer and not sure with the crowd restrictions if we will be able to snag a Thanksgiving or Christmas reservation. All of that to say that we would not have canceled even with all of the park changes.

I cannot rationalize spending the amount of money our trip would cost without everything she loves (castle shows, parades, meeting the characters, character meals, park hopping, fireworks).

Sadly, this is such a big part of the experience that is just no longer viable. Some people would love just being able to walk into the parks again. I see this being doable for locals, but people dumping thousands of dollars to come for half the experience is just not justifiable.

I am thankful my only investment for this July trip is SouthWest points which I will get back and park tickets which will retain their cash value towards future tickets. I can't get a refund and I purchased them with Disney Gift Cards anyway.

So I am taking a turn and looking to rent a house on the Florida Gulf with a pool and a hot tub. Going to chill by the pool and day trips to the beach. A chill relaxed vacation with my feet up and a drink in my hand away from people.

At this point I think they are just trying to get locals to go, this is not a Disney World vacation I would pay for, but I would be there in a heartbeat if I was a local.

I agree. If you are a local and go a few times a month this is the opening for you. If you have been planning and prepping for over a year then this is NOT the opening you were looking for.

Why is the free dining gone?
i thought I read....but you can't quote me....that they were offering 35% off rake rate. Not saying it's ok then ....just reporting what I think I read.

At this point I think they are just trying to get locals to go, this is not a Disney World vacation I would pay for, but I would be there in a heartbeat if I was a local.
Exactly. This is most definitely NOT the year for a WDW bucket trip, a big family vacation or heaven forbid - someone's first time. All the unknowns and the new restrictions destroy most of the value. There will be frustration and disappointment.

But I do think it's a decent opportunity for locals to pop in for a few hours- or like us, drive up for a night or two and stay offsite during weekdays - just to get a quick fix. With the social distancing, all the new rules plus a struggling economy and high unemployment, it may be a somewhat laid back, relaxing time, akin to the parks in 09/10. For most of us who have been often, there's no huge disappointment in a missed ride or attraction.

We didn't renew passes last Dec for the first time in many years - which I'm now grateful for. I'm about 3-4 hours away by car and am hoping to go for a single MK night around halloween or the holidays, (either a party night if they're doing those or a regular night) and just call it a day vs getting multi-park passes and doing a 4-5 day all parks trip several times a year the way we normally do.

We're UO passholders though - so probably more time in those parks and especially HHN if they offer it.

Don't people realize that the entire point of Disney's decisions and safeguards is so that fewer people show up to the parks and resorts? It's purposely designed to deter a large portion of people who would generally come to the parks. Disney isn't going to give deals or discounts or be overly accommodating (at least, to show up during this time period) because it is limiting capacity. The worst thing that could happen is having another breakout, which would cause everything to close down again.

I can’t blame Disney and I’m far from a Disney apologist but they are trying to skirt the line on being safe and yet opening a bit to stop the hemorrhage of dollars. If after a slow opening (and it could last a while) the virus numbers stay down we will probably see more guests allowed and a couple more activities. They can’t honor packages and free dining when they can’t offer character dining, buffets, or even many reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter