• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I get nice letters, too... great info about sailing at St. John

Dave_from_Marietta

DIS Veteran
Yes, folks, I get nice letters as well (<i>if you don't understand the reference, click <a href="">here</a></i>).

I got this great recommendation for chartering a boat and crew at St. Thomas...

<i>The best part of the entire trip - Day Charter to St. John!!!!!!!!!!!!

We rented a day charter 38 foot sailboat named Jester and Capt'n Jim, a laid back Californian with amazing coast guard experience, chef experience and a person who truly epitomizes the Caribbean and kind hospitality! His email is jester@islands.vi I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM!!! He made us feel at home instantly. We sailed from St. Thomas (left from the beach by Point Pleasant Resort/Grand Renaissance) and went out from 9am to 3pm to St. John.

His price was $100 pp or $450 to rent the boat for the day - which we opted to do since... we wanted to ensure that our daughter's needs would be met. He takes a maximum of 6 people out - so I think if one had a slightly larger family they would definitely get there money's worth and then some versus a pricey shore excursion! To note - He also tailors the sail to St. John to your request (we asked for 1 stop instead of 2 and for easy waters for our 5 year old). He also sails to the BVIs and does other special charter sails like half days, weddings, sunset cruises.

He and I had emailed and planned all of the foods that my daughter loves from kids yogurts, plain chicken to black olives! He has open bar, plenty of comfortable places to relax on board and makes a delicious very fresh special grilled chicken, Caribbean corn on the cob and Rosti Pasta. He serves Jester Juice - his own rum drink (like a Painkiller), which was somewhat sweet but smooth with grated nutmeg on top!

At St. John we anchored off Honeymoon Cove and enjoyed the gentle waters - swam, snorkeled, relaxed - our daughter did the same - he provided a life vest for her and swim noodle along with floatation mats for us! He even sat with our daughter and let her feed the fishes so she would have fun and my husband and I could relax in the water!

At lunch time he blew a conch shell to signal lunch was ready and then we snorkeled so more after lunch by a nice reef. He also plays a great mix of Jimmy Buffet, Loggins & Messina, Bob Marley type tunes... We had such an amazing day that we think we might rent a barefoot charter boat and cruise around the BVIs next time!

He truly is the best idea and much more a one-of-a-kind experience then getting herded in a shore excursion group. He was also easy going about payment - we just told him we were coming and then paid him in travelers checks. We did give him a $50 tip for the excellent day.</i>

Wow, that sounds awesome! If you haven't given up your hobby, perhaps you can have a section including non-disney excursion things that people like to do at the various ports. I notice the question gets asked around here, what are your choices besides what disney offers... things like captain marvin's at grand cayman, getting a room at the comfort suites to visit atlantis etc. They could just be in the form of reviews like that one from people who have done it with appropriate disclaimers that you are not endorsing any of those places. I'm not trying to make extra work for you, it's just a thought!

Lisa

This sounds great! I see that he provided flotaion devices. I wonder if he provides that snorkling equipment? Maybe I am going to have to contact this guy to find out some more details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter