"I don't know"

PineapplePrincessCA

Mouseketeer
I didn't think the Cast Members were allowed to say "I don't know" in response to a question from a guest. If they didn't know the answer they were supposed to direct you to somebody who could tell you the answer. Was this just a rumor or outdated info?

I'm asking because during our trip this week, I had several questions along the way which were met with a "I don't know" and a shoulder shrug from the CM and I was surprised.

Just curious.

I'd rather hear "I don't know" than have them make something up. That being said, I haven't run into this. I've always been giving suggestions as to where else I can look for the answer.

Its possible to hear that, people are still people. Depends largely on the situation.
More often than not, you will have Disney CMs go above and beyond.

Of course I wouldn't want somebody to lie to me rather than tell me they didn't know. I'm asking if it's their policy, or didn't I just pick up on a rumor that is was. No big deal either way. Just curious.

I don't have any problem with a person being honest and saying they don't know something. I think it shows character. :sunny:
I'd never heard that they weren't allowed to say they didn't know something.

Of course I wouldn't want somebody to lie to me rather than tell me they didn't know. I'm asking if it's their policy, or didn't I just pick up on a rumor that is was. No big deal either way. Just curious.
I apologize! I didn't intend to sound like I was thinking you wanted to hear lies. I was just thinking about how often it happens that someone just makes up an answer to avoid admitting that they don't know, and that drives me crazy! o_O

I'm asking if is a policy for CM's to not respond with simply "I don't know" when asked a question from a guest. :) Sorry. I wasn't clear, I guess. I thought it was their policy, but I could be mistaken. I can't say I was overtaken by the "character" by the lack of help I received! LOL But yes, I'm glad I wasn't lied to at least.

I'm just not sure that they are given the leeway to go off and find the info for you all the time. So if you're asking a CM without the ability to go off and get info, they'll get in trouble to take the time to find out.

Now, not being able to tell you where to go or who to ask to get the info is obnoxious. A shoulder shrug is always annoying.

But when we were looking for Android phone cases and got absolutely zero info from the CMs in July, it did get frustrating!

I'm asking if is a policy for CM's to not respond with simply "I don't know" when asked a question from a guest. :) Sorry. I wasn't clear, I guess. I thought it was their policy, but I could be mistaken. I can't say I was overtaken by the "character" by the lack of help I received! LOL But yes, I'm glad I wasn't lied to at least.

I would guess they are not actually supposed to say "I don't know" but something along the lines of "why don't you go ask at such and such they may be able to better answer your questions. " Directing you where you could get your answers.

I would guess they are not actually supposed to say "I don't know" but something along the lines of "why don't you go ask at such and such they may be able to better answer your questions. " Directing you where you could get your answers.

This morning I was looking through a Disney book and this was one of the facts I read in the book it states cast members are not allowed to say "I don't know" That there are cast member operators they can call for help with the question.

I personally wound not have a problem with a cast member honestly telling me they were unsure of the answer, the amount and type of random questions they must hear each day would be plenty. As long as they are friendly and pass me on to where I can find the information I think that is more than enough.

Like any company, employee training and policies are internal. Disney's been around a long time and has high turnover, so many people have shared things. But also keep in mind that there usually isn't any central training. Most people have a trainer and/or are trained for a few positions. As a customer you are not entitled to know Disney's internal rules for their employees, nor is any answer you read on the internet going to apply to every front line position and should not be considered reliable.

I didn't think the Cast Members were allowed to say "I don't know" in response to a question from a guest. If they didn't know the answer they were supposed to direct you to somebody who could tell you the answer. Was this just a rumor or outdated info?

I'm asking because during our trip this week, I had several questions along the way which were met with a "I don't know" and a shoulder shrug from the CM and I was surprised.

Just curious.

Can you give us a question you asked and where?

I read in the book it states cast members are not allowed to say "I don't know" That there are cast member operators they can call for help with the question.
So a Cast Member working an ODV cart gets asked a question and they have a operator they can call?

I can tell you a couple of times I had questions this last weekend where the CM I asked didn't know the answer. Their response each time was something along the lines of "You know, I don't know the answer to that, but I will find someone that does."

I can tell you a couple of times I had questions this last weekend where the CM I asked didn't know the answer. Their response each time was something along the lines of "You know, I don't know the answer to that, but I will find someone that does."

As a former Disney Store CM (not in the parks, sadly),what you posted is what you'd hear if one of us did not know the answer to something. However, this would be a RARE occurrence, usually only given by a brand new CM or right after a stage set (when we'd rearrange things). *Technically* were weren't supposed to say "I don't know", we were just supposed to say, "I will find the answer for you" or something similar. It was never a hard and fast rule that you could not say the words, "I don't know", it was more how you worked to find a solution to a problem that was important.

As much as things change in the STORE, I can't imagine how hard it must be to keep up in the parks.

OP, I hope you were able to find answers to your questions from different CMs after the first ones were not able to assist you :):)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter