I don't get Eurostar, enlighten me

ilovethisplace

Mouseketeer
Let me preface this by saying I’m an American and in the US train travel isn’t that popular. I can’t figure out the target audience for a train that takes 3 hours (express) that costs $175 return vs a plane that takes closer to 1 hour for $102 return ($135 if you need to check a bag). I know once you get to CDG you still need to get to Disneyland but the TGV takes 10 minutes and you’re still cheaper. I know there are people that refuse to fly and I understand that, but for everyone else wouldn’t you rather get there faster for less money? What am I missing?

I'm not very keen on flying but there are other factors too. Overall I just find the whole process a lot less hassle than flying and I'm really not sure it takes a lot longer. If I was catching an 11am flight to Paris for example I would need to be at the airport at least two hours before departure to allow time to park up, get to the terminal, drop off bags and get through security. After an hour on the plane it would then take at least half an hour to get off the plane and collect my bags. Then allow another hour to get to DLP (the TGV takes 10 minutes but I don't think they go very often). That's four and a half hours in total. If catching the Eurostar I could arrive at the station 45 minutes beforehand and at the other end I just get off the train and walk out of the train station. So potentially less time taken and a lot less time trekking through airports.

I also try to get the cheapest fares for the Eurostar where possible which are around £72 return ($100 or so?) with no additional cost for transfers. Leaving my car at the train station is also cheaper than the airport, plus there are no charges for bags, selecting seats etc.

For me it's the Eurostar every time!

you're not missing much, however, for example (from my home I have to travel to either catch the Eurostar or a decently-priced flight into CDG, neither options are local to me) -

flight into CDG - can be £60 each return at its cheapest price. Flight time just over one hour, then another half hour or so at CDG getting through passport control, then quickest transfer from CDG to my DLP-area hotel 40 minutes and around £25 each return (this is by road - the TGV is not the quickest transfer as its a scheduled service and you really need to book your tickets in advance to get the best price, and leave around one hour between your plane landing time and TGV departure time to ensure you get on your train (tickets are not transferrable at their cheapest prices). So plane plus CDG time plus road transfer time = 2hrs 15 minutes and a cost of around £85 each return.

Eurostar direct into DLP - can be £72 per adult at cheapest price, and is significantly cheaper than that for children. Total journey time once on the train = around 2hrs 30 minutes. no transfer required at the other end, as the train station is literally next to the onsite hotels and park entrances.

I don't get Eurostar as well. I am French, and I believe the cultural difference is key here: for most people in France, train is the absolute fastest and cheapest way to travel. I am always impressed about how people never check airfares for domestic journey and always book train tickets being sure this is the least expensive option.

I have been to London exclusively by flying until I met my wife, who is a “train” person. Since we live 10 minutes to Gare du Nord (and, I love her) I agreed taking Eurostar for a first time last year.
I must say Eurostar is fine in first class if you can afford it, though flying is much more convenient and relaxing. Key downsides for Eurostar include the terminals (outdated, uninspiring), the trains (old trains are so vintage and dull, and reception of newer trains have been poor so far) and the fact that if something goes wrong, there is no plan B (if your train needs to be canceled, you won't be offered an alternative way of transportation).

I'm too far away from the Eurostar for it to be worth it for me to take it, but the prices are considerably better than the flights from my airport - £180rt is the average price, and theres only Air France that fly that route.

I live in North London, so short cab ride to the entrance of St Pancras, two minute walk to the train, sit on train, arrive at Disney, short shuttle to NPB. Easy. But I also agree that flying is such a kerfuffle with all the extra hassle at the airport particularly with young kids. Moving around on a cramped plane isn't much fun either even if the flight isn't that long. Train is much freer.

If we lived closer to Eurostar we'd use it every time - no question. No fussing about hand luggage, cases, liquids in bags etc. Can get up and walk around on the train and most importantly, once you're there, you are actually there! I hate hanging about airports for 2 hours before, then the waiting around at the other end if you have a bag in the hold. Then you have the transfer. As already said, the TGV may take only 9 minutes but CDG Airport is huge and you need to navigate to the platform, making sure you get through security, baggage claim etc to get your train. If you are going to be near a Eurostar station then it makes no sense to travel to an airport and go through all that carry on when you can be there so easily.

I much prefer taking the Eurostar than flying. I love the fact you get out at Marne la Valle and you're THERE! No having to travel from CDG or Orly.

My local airport does not fly to Paris, so for me it would be about 2 hours driving to get to an airport that flies there, then airport parking/shuttle service, having to arrive two hours before the flight for check-in and security, then the flight itself, then getting through baggage claim and passport control, then having to get to Disneyland Paris from the airport. I always find airports very stressful and not at all relaxing, where as I always find the Eurostar a lot more chilled. If my local airport started to fly to Paris I would consider it, but at the moment Eurostar is much easier and more convenient for me.

Well, it seems I represent the minority side here. :)
I never thought specifically about the Eurostar as a way to travel to Disneyland (to me, Eurostar is “that train from London to Paris”) though I see why you guys prefer this train over flying to CDG/ORY. To all who traveled to the Eurostar station at Marne-la-Vallée (which I did not), how is the terminal compared to Paris Nord? Have you tried the lounge (if there is one?) How does it compare to Paris? Thanks for your feedback!

I don't know really about the terminal. Normally we are heading back there about 40 minutes before departure to pick up luggage from the Disney express counter and then just get on the train so have never had any need to wait around. Every time we've used the Eurostar the train has been waiting on the platform for a good 30 minutes or so before departure time so it's just a case of jumping on and flaking out after a few days in Disney!

I've never used the station in Paris Nord so can't compare.

HTH.

Same here, the train's always been waiting for us so we've always got straight on and have only ever been on the direct DLP service so can't compare either.

Well, it seems I represent the minority side here. :)
I never thought specifically about the Eurostar as a way to travel to Disneyland (to me, Eurostar is “that train from London to Paris”) though I see why you guys prefer this train over flying to CDG/ORY. To all who traveled to the Eurostar station at Marne-la-Vallée (which I did not), how is the terminal compared to Paris Nord? Have you tried the lounge (if there is one?) How does it compare to Paris? Thanks for your feedback!

i also have nothing to compare Marne-la-Vallee to in France, have only used the Eurostar for that journey, no others. I don't use lounges in any terminal, whether thats an airport or train station. I recall there not being much room at all in the area just after you go through security at Marne-la-Vallee, but you can go to your platform pretty much straightaway (our direct train from Marne-la-vallee to the UK was available to board about an hour before the scheduled departure time).

I don't know if the procedure for 1st class or premier is any different, we used standard class.

The departure lounge at Marne la Vallee is almost non-existent. I think there might be a handful chairs after security but nowhere enough to cater for all of the passengers. It's not ideal but as others have said you don't have to wait too long before you can get on the train and wait there. Gare du Nord has a proper departure lounge with coffee shops/newsagent etc but much less convenient when returning from DLP as you have to allow so much extra time to catch the RER.

If I was catching an 11am flight to Paris for example I would need to be at the airport at least two hours before departure to allow time to park up, get to the terminal, drop off bags and get through security. After an hour on the plane it would then take at least half an hour to get off the plane and collect my bags. Then allow another hour to get to DLP (the TGV takes 10 minutes but I don't think they go very often). That's four and a half hours in total. If catching the Eurostar I could arrive at the station 45 minutes beforehand and at the other end I just get off the train and walk out of the train station. So potentially less time taken and a lot less time trekking through airports.

This.

I go to London a lot, and the airport that flies to London is "right around the corner" for me, but it's not worth it.
You're restricted in luggage, and like you say, you have to be there a lot longer in advance then when you take the Eurostar, and after you get off the plane you have to wait for your luggage, while with the Eurostar, you take it out the train and off you go.

We live about 25 minute drive from Heathrow, but always travel by Eurostar. It is so easy to use Eurostar and taking into account the amount of time we have to spend at the airport checking in, getting through security, collecting baggage at the other end and then getting from CDG to DLP probably does not take us too much longer than flying. You also have added bonus of the Disney Express if you use the Direct train so can go straight into the park when you get there and do not need to spend time going to your hotel first to drop of bags and checking in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter