I could use some advice and support please

valpss

Earning My Ears
I dislocated my patella on may 6th. It wasn't too bad, as I don't need surgery. But still now I'm not walking without crutches. The most disappointing thing is we leave for the World in 2 weeks- June 4th! I was sure in the beginning that I would totally be fine for our trip but reality has now set in. I have gone ahead and reserved a scooter from Apple scooters. I figure even if I'm walking by then, it would be a lot of stress I shouldn't put on my knee.

My only big concern now is on one of the mornings I will be on my own with my two kids ages 5 & 3. I had planned to take the kids to animal kingdom and Hubby would meet up with us later. But now I don't know if I can handle them on my own. We are getting a double stroller for the kids so obviously I can't push that or even take it if I've got a scooter. The only thing I can think of is to stay at the hotel & swim until Hubby gets back from his thing. I'm sure the kids won't mind but this was the only time we had to get to AK. :/

If anyone has any experience and advice I would sooooo appreciate! I'm struggling so hard with my knee situation and to have it effect our trip makes it even harder. :sad:

You don't mention how long your trip is and whether you have other "down time" scheduled - but we always plan at least a partial day hanging at the resort. The kids will love it. If they haven't been to WDW before, they really won't know what might be missed, and even if they have (or have watched videos) that can be a reason to return another time. I wouldn't feel bad about a day at the pool/playground/resort; I'm sure there's plenty of other park-time you'll be doing.

Enjoy your vacation!

Also, AK is the most demanding on the legs as far as walking. Len Testa from the Unofficial Guide says they found out that they had to give their researchers the day off after they spent a day at AK. It is not level sidewalks, but a lot of trails with hills and uneven terrain. I would think that would be tough on your knee.

Let the kids swim. You can look forward to AK on your next trip'

Honestly, other than the safari & animals, there is not a whole lot at AK for kids of that age. The shows are good, but not worth hurting yourself over.

The only ride I can think of that the little ones really enjoy is Triceratop Spin, which is exactly the same as Dumbo and Aladdin's Flying Carpets at MK.

If I were in your situation, I would skip AK all together and spend that time at the pool.

I would say take time to relax, I recently just returned from my holiday in WDW and I had a scooter rented. Aside from AK being uneven with a 3 and a 5 year old you have to think about loading onto and off of the bus (If you are loading yourself then your kids wouldn't have anyone to wait with whilst you are being loaded) Also having a 3 year old myself I know I wouldn't have been able to cope in AK in a scooter alone with just her, let alone 2 kids.

Trust me rest days on my holiday were welcomed when they came round, take the morning off and relax and rest rather than stressing about how you'll manage it alone :)

If you are really set on going...the stroller can actually be your walker. Put your weight on it and push. You might also think of bringing an ace bandage or other knee brace to help stabilize the knee. I find that on days I feel well enough to walk a bit, I wrap my knee which I had surgery on in advance for the extra support and reduce the swelling( I have no cartilage in my knee ) . This actually can mean the difference...for me anyway..of going another hour or not. :goodvibes

Have a great trip!

As others have said, it would probably be best to hold off on AK for now. I have severe arthritis in both knees (have dislocated my right patella several times as well) and there's no sense in making yourself miserable. If you're feeling guilty about not doing AK...don't. In years past, I pushed myself to do more than I should have and now I'm to the point where very little walking or standing is horribly painful. I felt very self-conscious when I first started using a scooter at WDW and felt bad cause my DH and kids had to slow down just because of me. Your family will still have a great time and might even enjoy taking a slower pace and taking in all the details we have a tendency to miss while we're rushing from one ride to another.

Lana

I don't have experience with the kid situation, but the one thing I always wish I'd been able to do is fit in more resort/pool time.

Thank you for the responses. I didn't even think about the uneven crazy sidewalks of AK! I think right now I'm going to plan on staying at the hotel for the kids. Actually out of the blue yesterday my 5 year old asked if one of the mornings we're at Disney if we can go swimming and then go to the parks later?! Hahaha I hadn't even mentioned this situation to anyone let alone to the kids! Talk about a sign! This will be our 4th day down there so I'm sure my knee will be ready for a little rest by then anyway.
Thank you all for your help!

you are making the right choice. To a kid, a pool is a big attraction too!
You and they will need a rest. Although you know you are missing AK, they probably have no idea.

The pool is the right choice. I have difficulty walking, bad knees. scoliosis and a month ago I broke my ankle. Right now I won't be able to go to AK for a long, long while and maybe never under my own steam. The ground is uneven and often uphill, it really takes a toll on your knees.

The kids will love a day at the resort.

I've dislocated my right knee. Twice. The second time, my daughter was 6 months old. Carrying her around for weeks while in a knee immobilizer was not easy.

Even without crutches, walking for a long period of time with that kind of injury is difficult.

Spend the day at the resort. The kids will love it. Best not to push yourself too much on your own and risk further injury that could affect the rest of your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter