I could really use some advice for a client (wheelchair/scooter related)

antkim

<font color=teal>"Easy to love"<br><font color=dee
Hi Guys,

I will just say thanks in advance because I know you will be helpful!!

Here's the situation. I have clients who will be traveling in August to WDW from Newark N.J. Mom and Dad are both hanicapped...Mom needing a wheelchair and Dad needing a scooter. Now, they really would like to bring their own equipment however, they are having a hard time finding a limo/transportation company in N.J. that can accommodate them...meaning geting themselves and their equpment to the airport. Can anyone give me some advice as to where we can look for such a service? I know we can arrange for assistance at the airport and then rent the equipment in WDW but I would rather them have their own if that is their wish.

Thanks again!

kim

The only thing I can say is that they should NOT be having problems. The ADA guarantees equal access and as such the transportation companies are required to have accessible vehicles.

antkim said:
Hi Guys,

I will just say thanks in advance because I know you will be helpful!!

Here's the situation. I have clients who will be traveling in August to WDW from Newark N.J. Mom and Dad are both hanicapped...Mom needing a wheelchair and Dad needing a scooter. Now, they really would like to bring their own equipment however, they are having a hard time finding a limo/transportation company in N.J. that can accommodate them...meaning geting themselves and their equpment to the airport. Can anyone give me some advice as to where we can look for such a service? I know we can arrange for assistance at the airport and then rent the equipment in WDW but I would rather them have their own if that is their wish.

Thanks again!

kim
I have traveled in and out of airports all over the country. The shuttles affiliated with the airport is where I usually start. Do a search on Yahoo under shuttle and the name of the airport to see if you get a hit. Call or e-mail Supershuttle or Prime Time. I know that these shuttle services have lift-equipped vans. You should really not be having a problem. Call the airport and get the name of the shuttle service that works out of there. I do not recommend renting a Disney scooter if you own your own....The ones Disney has have 4 wheels and are murder to steer. Very hard on the shoulders. Have a great trip!

Thank you SO much.....I will look into it today for them! I really want to make this as easy as possbile for them.

Kim

O.K. I am really baffled here! I finally found a service that can accommodate them and it is going to cost them over $500 round trip? How can this be?

Are there shuttles at MCO that can take a scooter? Will the new Disney transportation be able to take one? We had planned to leave DGF at home and rent one but if he could have his own that would be better.

$500 seems like a lot of money, couldn't they park their own car at the airport for less? Or offer to pay a friend for the drop-off and pick-up? I don't know much about these things though!

Apparently wheelchair/ECV transport is not as good at Newark as in Orlando.

Mears shuttle service at MCO has wheelchair vans with a rear lift that can take one (or possibly two at a squeeze) seated wheelchair or ECV passenger, plus around fourersons in regular seats plus their luggage.

Disney's Magic Express service used buses between MCO and Disney, of which around half have wheelchair spaces.

As long as Mears, or Disney know in advance you have a wheelchair or ECV, you will be OK.

Andrew

antkim said:
O.K. I am really baffled here! I finally found a service that can accommodate them and it is going to cost them over $500 round trip? How can this be?
It sounds like you have gotten a medical shuttle company rather than a general company that has wheelchair accessible vehicles.
If they provide the service to the general public, that same company can't charge more to provide the transportation to someone using a wheelchair (that is against the ADA).
For once they get to WDW, Mears has accessible shuttles at the same price as their bus service.
The new Magical Express (or whatever Disney's new transportation is called) has ordered wheelchair accessible buses.

It was a regular company not a medical one. I think I will call back and mention the ADA regulations! :wink: Thanks!

I really hope that we figure out a way for them to take their own because the company that rents them out in WDW says it will be VERY expensive to have them delivered to the airport!

Thanks!

Kim

I think I would find a couple of strong friends with a pickup truck to just drop them off at the airport.

My hubby has his own ECV and we don't own any special equipment. Just two teenagers that lift it into the truck for us.

I have even lifted it by myself if I take off the batteries.

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter