I can't stop thinking about this

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
Now that things are starting to re-open (slowly, at least in Texas - which is how it should happen), people are going to need childcare again. I got a call today that my daycare is opening again on May 4th. Daycare (any daycare) is one of the most germ filled places I can think of. No matter how much the workers clean, kids are little walking petri dishes. And at least with the younger kids, social distancing is not going to be possible. Babies have to be fed, babies and toddlers have to be changed. Of course workers will wear masks and gloves, but masks aren't recommended for little kids.. Unless there are literally one or two kids per room, I don't see anyway to keep the kids from flocking to each other.So the kids are going to be carrying any germs back to their parents and families. But unless people have childcare, nothing is going to be able to start back up. And I don't have a choice because once my center opens back up, I have to work. I just keep going in circles in my head thinking about how we can make sure no one gets sick but the reality is that all we can do is minimize the risk. I don't even know why I'm posting really - but maybe if I see it in black and white, I can stop stressing so much. I will be glad to get back to my toddlers - I've really missed those kiddos.

Will definitely be a scary time when things start opening up. At least you are more informed now than say even a couple of weeks ago. You will wear masks and gloves, hand wash a thousand times a day. Also, you may want to ask parents not to bring their child in if they are sick, even if it's just the sniffles. Parents really need to step up and not send their sick kids to school or daycare. Yeah, it sucks to have to miss work for your child who just has a cold, but in this day and age you don't know if it's just a cold.

I feel for you! I personally feel it's way too soon to even open slowly. That would be a hard thing to have to go back to because you know parents send sick kids all the dang time.

Interestingly, day care is one of the things that hasn't closed here - in fact, the government has made it free. They have said though that children of essential workers get priority and other parents who can keep their children home are being urged to do so.

The program I oversee has been open this entire time, but we moved to only providing for parents who are essential staff and our regulations have been very strict. So far, the families have been overjoyed to have care and our staff have been overjoyed to have a paycheck. It's been a win-win for us. Our attendance, due to the requirements, has been 1/3 our norm which has made it much easier to adhere to the additional regulations.

My child's program has been open, too, but we opted to keep him home and just pay for his spot. I had the ability to work from home with him, which is a luxury that not everyone has.

It's not best case scenario but the fact is that people in essential fields have to work - we need and rely them. And if they are parents, they need a place for their child to be.

So all that to say, centers have continued to stay open in many, many places across the country and so far it has not (appeared to be) detrimental. Parents need to be wise - though I think those working in essential businesses are probably already taking extra precautions - and be mindful to not visit grandparents or at-risk family members. Shouldn't be happening anyways but would be even more important if your child is in a child care setting.

Now that things are starting to re-open (slowly, at least in Texas - which is how it should happen), people are going to need childcare again. I got a call today that my daycare is opening again on May 4th. Daycare (any daycare) is one of the most germ filled places I can think of. No matter how much the workers clean, kids are little walking petri dishes. And at least with the younger kids, social distancing is not going to be possible. Babies have to be fed, babies and toddlers have to be changed. Of course workers will wear masks and gloves, but masks aren't recommended for little kids.. Unless there are literally one or two kids per room, I don't see anyway to keep the kids from flocking to each other.So the kids are going to be carrying any germs back to their parents and families. But unless people have childcare, nothing is going to be able to start back up. And I don't have a choice because once my center opens back up, I have to work. I just keep going in circles in my head thinking about how we can make sure no one gets sick but the reality is that all we can do is minimize the risk. I don't even know why I'm posting really - but maybe if I see it in black and white, I can stop stressing so much. I will be glad to get back to my toddlers - I've really missed those kiddos.
Bingo. I'm an elementary school teacher & this is similar to a point I've made elsewhere: social distancing as we know it is not going to happen at public schools. The space isn't there, first and foremost, to physically space the kids out. The staff isn't there, and no, the class sizes of public schools, which are funded by states, are not going to get smaller in the middle of a severe economic recession.

The economy can't get back to normal (and children can't fully resume their very important social and academic learning), until schools reopen. And social distancing isn't possible in that environment. So social distancing will have to end within a few months.

I agree that the big issue is parents sending sick kids in. That happens constantly at schools and has to stop.

my daughter works in a daycare. they have been open this entire time. I have worried about her, but agree, she is needed. her schedule is a day by day basis now since the number of kids has significantly gone down. they have always had the rule, no fevers can come in. I think all daycares should take temps at the door. I know it would be very intensive, but it's best to be safe. this is a new world, we have to adapt.

my daughter works in a daycare. they have been open this entire time. I have worried about her, but agree, she is needed. her schedule is a day by day basis now since the number of kids has significantly gone down. they have always had the rule, no fevers can come in. I think all daycares should take temps at the door. I know it would be very intensive, but it's best to be safe. this is a new world, we have to adapt.

I dont see this working parents are known to give medication before hand

they have always had the rule, no fevers can come in. I think all daycares should take temps at the door. I know it would be very intensive, but it's best to be safe. this is a new world, we have to adapt.
I dont see this working parents are known to give medication before hand

Checking for fevers would definitely be a good thing, but it's not going to prevent Covid-19 since that is contagious before symptoms develop, and there are also asymptomatic carriers.

It’s good and you are fortunate to get back to work. We can’t stay in forever. There’s always something to catch. If you are prone to catching things It would probably be a cold that you will catch.

My SIL runs a home daycare, and she's been open this whole time for children of essential workers, of which several of her regular clients were. I don't think she's experienced any issues outside of the normal day to day daycare stuff. Hope all goes well for your reopening.

I feel the same way. I work for Early Intervention and I provide all of my services in day cares and preschools. Our governor has closed us until the end of the school year, so more than likely I will have to go back right after July 4th. I have no solution to this issue, but all I know is that I really don't want to go back into that environment until there is a better treatment or a vaccine. My whole family is higher risk due to asthma. I am exposed to so many kids in a day, I spend my day traveling from school to school. it also concerns me that all of the people like myself who provide these services are just spreading the germs from location to location. Again, I don't have a solution but just posting to say that I understand how you feel.

This is exactly why a second wave is predicted. I feel sorry for everyone who’s against opening up again. I hope we keep the border closed for a long, long time.
Keeping borders closed to protect the rest of the world from Americans- who have the highest numbers / death rates right now. Keeping borders closed will not mitigate the risk anymore. That train left the station a long time ago.

It’s good and you are fortunate to get back to work. We can’t stay in forever. There’s always something to catch. If you are prone to catching things It would probably be a cold that you will catch.

I'm not prone to getting sick much at all. I was more concerned about the kids carrying germs from other kids to their families. But you are right - we have to find a way to deal with this as it isn't going anywhere.

Keeping borders closed to protect the rest of the world from Americans- who have the highest numbers / death rates right now. Keeping borders closed will not mitigate the risk anymore. That train left the station a long time ago.
Please. The US does NOT have the highest death rate. This is sorted by deaths/1M (as of 9:50A ET 4/21)

Bingo. I'm an elementary school teacher & this is similar to a point I've made elsewhere: social distancing as we know it is not going to happen at public schools. The space isn't there, first and foremost, to physically space the kids out. The staff isn't there, and no, the class sizes of public schools, which are funded by states, are not going to get smaller in the middle of a severe economic recession.

The economy can't get back to normal (and children can't fully resume their very important social and academic learning), until schools reopen. And social distancing isn't possible in that environment. So social distancing will have to end within a few months.

I agree that the big issue is parents sending sick kids in. That happens constantly at schools and has to stop.
yes. I agree with this wholeheartedly. I work in an elementary school and we see lots of sick kids that clearly don't meet the previous criterion for keeping them home. Parents give them ibuprofen to bring down the fever and send them in. But the kids come in and tell us they threw up at home, or they had a fever, etc. and I think parents don't realize how much kids say to the trusted adults at school. I understand why the parents send them--parents have to work to support the household and not everyone has access to safe backup childcare. But when we go back to school in the fall, some things are going to have to change to keep everyone safe, otherwise our schools will be virus incubators and there will be an explosion of infections. Any kid with any signs of illness will have to be kept home--even a runny nose or sneezing. But for this to feasibly happen the government is going to have to waive the previous restrictions regarding attendance. Many kids would easily surpass the allowed 20 days absence for the year if they stayed home when ill. Then the parents will end up in truancy court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter