I Can't, I'm Not Wearing a Princess Dress! - New TR link!!!!

I forget the exact dates, but Wishes runs until sometime in May and the new show debuts either the very next night or a couple of nights later. So there are still fireworks and will be with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 nights.
Ohh... okay. That makes sense. I couldn't see being in MK at night and... no fireworks.

Andy!

First, I'm thrilled to hear that your little one is making progress! He is absolutely ADORABLE in his nine month photos (and Grant would LOVE the onesie - he has a thing for tractors!). I look forward to hearing more positive updates! :goodvibes

I really enjoyed the rest of your January trip! I'm glad your daughter was able to have such a good time with you and your wife, and thrilled she enjoyed the rides!

I'm also SO EXCITED about you upgrading to Animal Kingdom Lodge! Anika and I stayed there during our 2012 trip and we LOVED it! I know your ADRs have probably been set for months, but all three restaurants at AKL are WONDERFUL and I HIGHLY recommend them! We ate at Jiko in 2012 (and you can read my review in my TR link), Anika and I tried Sanaa in 2015 (the bread service is AWESOME and I highly recommend it!) and Mom and I finally tried Boma in 2016 (and it was well worth the wait - so delicious and I can't wait to go back!). If you can only pick one I would go with Boma - it has a huge variety of choices, including more "American" food for picky eaters. If you can squeeze in a second I would go with Sanaa, get the full bread service, and split some entrees. I would recommend lunch or an early dinner at Sanaa so you have a good view of the animals - they walk right up to the windows!

For the lodge itself, it's so fun to wander around and watch the animals. My personal favorite is the flamingos (located near the pool) - I could watch them for an hour! There are guides throughout the lodge and outside that are thrilled to talk about the animals or their experiences at home. AKL also has a fantastic zero-entry pool with a fun slide - Anika and I loved it!

I look forward to hearing all about your trip! (And also look forward to more updates on your little guy!)

I can't show the photo cause my tablet is being a jerk, but the pic of all your kiddos in the gym is adorable; you got a good looking bunch there!

Hi everyone. I've abandoned the Dis again for about the past week. Life has been in overdrive. We've been busy on the farm as the weather has been great and we've been able to get into the fields to start planting. On top of that, both of the older kids are now starting baseball and I'm helping coach both teams and we just had a busy Easter weekend...

Ok, I'll quit making excuses, the little dude was 10 months old on Sunday, within the last couple of weeks he's started crawling and he has quickly mastered the mobility thing. He stands up whenever he can get his hands on something to pull him up and he will even let go and stand for a few seconds without support. He's going to be walking soon.

Anyway, I'll catch up with everyone later, but I just wanted to share this with everyone. Today, April 19 is CDH Awareness Day. I remember last year when this day rolled around. We'd found out about the diagnosis about 3 months prior and we were about 2 months away from delivery. We were in a whirlwind of taking care of what we could ahead of time and praying for the best while preparing for the worst. This birth defect that we'd never heard of was now having a huge impact on our lives. We're grateful that we weren't one of the 50% that don't make it, but we certainly feel the pain and the fear that those families have gone through.

upload_2017-4-19_14-35-29.png

Life has been in overdrive. We've been busy on the farm as the weather has been great and we've been able to get into the fields to start planting. On top of that, both of the older kids are now starting baseball and I'm helping coach both teams and we just had a busy Easter weekend...

Totally understand how busy you must be. Don't worry about us, Andy.
I for one am just happy the little guy seems to be doing well. :)

the little dude was 10 months old on Sunday, within the last couple of weeks he's started crawling and he has quickly mastered the mobility thing.

good!

He stands up whenever he can get his hands on something to pull him up and he will even let go and stand for a few seconds without support. He's going to be walking soon.

Translation: Parents will be running soon.

Today, April 19 is CDH Awareness Day. I remember last year when this day rolled around. We'd found out about the diagnosis about 3 months prior and we were about 2 months away from delivery. We were in a whirlwind of taking care of what we could ahead of time and praying for the best while preparing for the worst. This birth defect that we'd never heard of was now having a huge impact on our lives. We're grateful that we weren't one of the 50% that don't make it, but we certainly feel the pain and the fear that those families have gone through.

:hug:

We're grateful that we weren't one of the 50% that don't make it

Those certainly aren't the most encouraging odds! But I too am so happy you and little Ryder made it through what was, I'm sure, a terrifying time.

Glad the farming is going well and the weather is cooperating. :D

Hi everyone. I've abandoned the Dis again for about the past week. Life has been in overdrive. We've been busy on the farm as the weather has been great and we've been able to get into the fields to start planting. On top of that, both of the older kids are now starting baseball and I'm helping coach both teams and we just had a busy Easter weekend...
Eh, life happens. Especially with three little ones! We will still be here whenever you have the time to visit.

Ok, I'll quit making excuses, the little dude was 10 months old on Sunday, within the last couple of weeks he's started crawling and he has quickly mastered the mobility thing. He stands up whenever he can get his hands on something to pull him up and he will even let go and stand for a few seconds without support. He's going to be walking soon.
With all that he has gone through in just a short 10 months I'm sure it makes these normal baby milestones that much more incredible. I'm glad he's doing so well. Enjoy the last few months of not having to chase after him constantly :)

Anyway, I'll catch up with everyone later, but I just wanted to share this with everyone. Today, April 19 is CDH Awareness Day. I remember last year when this day rolled around. We'd found out about the diagnosis about 3 months prior and we were about 2 months away from delivery. We were in a whirlwind of taking care of what we could ahead of time and praying for the best while preparing for the worst. This birth defect that we'd never heard of was now having a huge impact on our lives. We're grateful that we weren't one of the 50% that don't make it, but we certainly feel the pain and the fear that those families have gone through.
That is a terrifying statistic, but I'm so happy you guys ended up on the upside. I continue to pray for your family and little one that he continues to make the great progress he has!!

We all have busy times, and totally understand. Glad to hear that Ryder is doing well and things are moving forward with a nice amount of normalcy in your life. While the planting season is hectic for you, at least it's something you can ground yourself in (no pun intended), year after year and gives you the stability that life goes on, even after a stressful year.

10 months old?! Yeah, he sure sounds like he'll be walking and running soon. When the baby become mobile...that's when the kiddos become really fun.

Good morning... is this thing on?

I'll be back to reply to everyone. I'm currently trying to catch up on the other TR's that I've neglected over the past couple of weeks. We've been busy working on the farm as well as running the kids to baseball practices. They've yet to play a game despite having about 5 or 6 scheduled already between the 2 teams our kids are on. The rain won't stop...

We finished planting corn on April 26 and beans on April 27. Conditions for planting were perfect. Literally never seen better soil conditions. Even the wet spots in fields were perfectly dry. In fact it was way too dry. We needed rain bad. We were way behind on our usual spring rainfall. All the storms that were coming through the area were missing us. We hadn't had a significant rain event in weeks.

So on April 28 we got a rain. And by rain, I mean 2 inches in about 30 minutes. Which is exactly what you don't want to see happen on fields that were just planted. That much rain coming that fast just pounds the ground and leaves a very hard crust that the plants have a hard time breaking through when they sprout.

But that's not all... it proceeded to rain all weekend.

And temperatures dropped from the 80's to the 40's.

Corn should germinate within 10 days of planting and it takes soil temps in the upper 50's to make that happen.

Basically, right now what has come up looks very yellow and sick. It should come out of it, but we will likely have to replant some where there just weren't enough seeds that sprouted. Anything that hasn't sprouted yet... well, it probably won't. So we'll get to replant some of our crop.

And other fields look like this.

20170505_073526.jpg

This is a 60 acre field with about 15 - 20 acres that has been under 8 - 12" of water in the low spots for over a week. And this is 2+ miles from the nearest river... Any of that seed has likely rotted and will need to be replanted eventually when the swamp drains so we can drive across it.

The temperatures are starting to warm up and we were just starting to dry up yesterday. But then it rained again last night...

One extreme to the other. Weather can never make farmers happy. It's a proven fact.

Anyway, excuses, excuses, I know. It's been a trying spring, but I wanted to get caught back up here again. The family is doing well and there's not much to say there. I'll be back as soon as I can to reply to everyone and share an update of our latest changes/news for our trip and the FP's that we just made this morning!

So happy to hear about the family doing well. It is so exciting when they gain mobility... and then completely terrifying when they are into everything. :-)

I feel you on the corn planting. We have been very wet and cold here. We finally finished calving last week and I would like to turn the cows out to fresh pasture but they will destroy it with all the rain we have had. Hopefully this weekend. Oh well there is plenty of baleage left from last year. My FIL has to be chomping at the bit to get his first cutting in though. He likes it done prior to memorial day.

looking forward to updates when you have time

Sorry to hear about your planting woes, hopefully everything comes around. Besides the "swamp" you pictured, are you guys in an area that has been hit hard by the floods and storms.

All of the publicity that Jimmy Kimmel has been getting made me think of your family and I wondered how you were doing. I'm glad to hear things are going smoothly for the most part.

That weather / planting intersection sounds....challenging. I hope you can salvage the season with your second planting!

We've been busy working on the farm as well as running the kids to baseball practices.

I can only imagine! But welcome back!

Conditions for planting were perfect.

Who are you? I thought you were a farmer. No farmer ever admits to conditions being perfect.

In fact it was way too dry. We needed rain bad.

There it is.

Basically, right now what has come up looks very yellow and sick. It should come out of it, but we will likely have to replant some where there just weren't enough seeds that sprouted.

Not good news then...

This is a 60 acre field with about 15 - 20 acres that has been under 8 - 12" of water in the low spots for over a week. And this is 2+ miles from the nearest river... Any of that seed has likely rotted and will need to be replanted eventually when the swamp drains so we can drive across it.

So how bad is it that you have to replant? Is it a major expense compared to a crop that is blighted somehow later on?

One extreme to the other. Weather can never make farmers happy. It's a proven fact.

::yes::

The family is doing well and there's not much to say there.

Not much to say is infinitely better than too much to say... of negatives.

We finished planting corn on April 26 and beans on April 27. Conditions for planting were perfect. Literally never seen better soil conditions.

GREAT!

But that's not all... it proceeded to rain all weekend.

And temperatures dropped from the 80's to the 40's.

Corn should germinate within 10 days of planting and it takes soil temps in the upper 50's to make that happen.

Basically, right now what has come up looks very yellow and sick. It should come out of it, but we will likely have to replant some where there just weren't enough seeds that sprouted. Anything that hasn't sprouted yet... well, it probably won't. So we'll get to replant some of our crop.

... or not. Sounds like a really trying Spring, Andy. Such a shame that a lot of hard word (and $$) was wrecked with whacky weather. Hopefully, things are going to turn around now and be more even-keeled.

Anyway, excuses, excuses, I know. It's been a trying spring, but I wanted to get caught back up here again. The family is doing well and there's not much to say there. I'll be back as soon as I can to reply to everyone and share an update of our latest changes/news for our trip and the FP's that we just made this morning!

Glad to hear the family is doing well, though. Sounds like the trip is still moving forward with planning. FP day is always a big deal; anxious to hear about what you got!

Wow, that rain situation sounds brutal. I hope you can get some decent crops from what you already planted and I hope the second planting goes well!

I'm so sorry for the rain hurting the crops. I have to say I learned a lot about farming from your post. Rain and flooding has done a lot of damage in the last year. We live in Baton Rouge, LA and just had the Great Flood of 2016. I personally didn't flood this time around but we did in 1983. I work for an insurance agency and we're still dealing with lost of claims. I'm hoping you get dried out just enough and have a good second planting.

I'm happy the family is doing great. We just welcomed our first grandchild on Monday. Babies are so special. Enjoy your little ones.

They've yet to play a game despite having about 5 or 6 scheduled already between the 2 teams our kids are on. The rain won't stop...
Ugh, I know the feeling!! Although, I feel its much worse in your case it effects your livelihood.

And by rain, I mean 2 inches in about 30 minutes. Which is exactly what you don't want to see happen on fields that were just planted. That much rain coming that fast just pounds the ground and leaves a very hard crust that the plants have a hard time breaking through when they sprout.
SO much for the rain reversing all the hard work put in thus far.

The family is doing well and there's not much to say there.
No news is good news sometimes!

I'll be back as soon as I can to reply to everyone and share an update of our latest changes/news for our trip and the FP's that we just made this morning!
Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter