I Can Do Whatever I Want! My First Solo Disney Trip- March 2019 Updated 7/11

disneyfan314

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! Welcome to my First Solo Trip Report!

First things first, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm Kesha and I'm a Disney-a-holic! After we made our first family trip in 2005, I was hooked. Fortunately, we were able to finally buy DVC in 2016 and it has been the best investment I have ever made! My family has had the opportunity to take so many Disney World and a couple of Disneyland trips since we bought DVC.

IMG_6351.JPG

This solo trip came about when I got an email in the fall of 2018 about a simulation conference that was going to be held at UCF in March 2019. I decided to submit an abstract to see if I would get chosen to present at this conference knowing that 1) having a abstract accepted to present at a major conference was a resume builder and 2)
being in Orlando was a great way to take a quick trip to my happy place! I was notified on December 14th, that my abstract had been accepted for a poster presentation. I was very excited, as it was going to be my first professional poster presentation and I was going to Disney! Now, this conference was March 7-8, so we were less than 3 months out to plan a trip. I was excited, but nervous, as I had never been to Disney World solo before.

First I had to approve the conference part of the trip with my employer, as they were paying for travel to the conference, so I was staying off-site for the days of the conference. I then booked a 1 bedroom standard view March 8-10 at Animal Kingdom Lodge with some DVC points I had in holding and needed to use before May 31. I then decided since it was kinda last minute and since I was going solo I wasn't gonna do a whole bunch of planning. I would just let my mood dictate where I went. I did purchase an annual pass because I knew that my daughter and I were planning a trip this summer, so I would get two trips out of the AP. I think at some point I did play around with fastpasses, but it was within the 30 day window and I couldn't get the ones that go quickly. I honestly don't even remember what I got now, I just know that Slinky Dog, FoP, and 7DMT were unavailable.

My other planning thoughts were that I wanted to visit Epcot since my arrival coincided with the start of the Flower and Garden, I wanted to ride SD since that had opened since my last visit, and I wanted to see Pandora at night (on our previous trip we only visited during the day).

Up next: Arrival day! Flower and Garden Festival Here I Come!

Travel day arrived and I got up early to make the 2.5 hour drive to the Houston International Airport. My flight was scheduled to depart at 9:35. I don't remember anything about the flight there, so I think it was smooth sailing. I did some reading for grad school assignments on the plane and tried to take a nap. I'm usually not very successful napping on planes and this was no exception. We arrived safely to the Orlando International Airport. I took this picture at 12:55p

IMG_6182.jpg
Since I was staying off-site for the first 2 nights, I was renting a car. So after picking up my bag at baggage claim, I headed across the way to the Enterprise car rental pickup. It was a pretty quick process and I was in my rental in no time and headed to my hotel. I made a stop at a Publix to pick up some bottled water, snacks, and a few things to keep in the fridge at the hotel. I then arrived at the Doubletree by Hilton Orlando East. Here is my room
IMG_6183.jpg

I began unpacking my groceries and realized that my room didn't have a mini fridge. I was very surprised! Isn't it standard now that all hotel rooms have a fridge. So, I decided to eat some of the cold things I bought for lunch and pulled out my laptop to get a grad school assignment submitted. After getting that done, I decided I would spend my evening in Epcot! I arrived at about 4:15ish and after parking I was on my way in.

Now remember that this was the first day of Flower and Garden Festival. I remember reading later how packed it was earlier that day. While I thought it was crowded, I didn't think it was too bad. I took my time taking some pictures in future world and riding a few attractions. (I'm fairly sure I was refreshing the app and getting fastpasses). Here's a few of my pictures.

Not a great selfie, but I love this fountain!

As you can tell by these pictures, it was getting late and I hadn't even stepped foot in the World Showcase yet! I guess I got a little carried away in Future World. I rode everything in Future World except for Test Track (line was too long and never had a fastpass pop up) and Mission Space (I didn't want to be in an enclosed space with people I didn't know!) Plus, I was getting hungry so I decided I needed to head over to World Showcase.

Up next: What do I eat?

So, it was already after 7p and I hadn't even made it to World Showcase yet despite the fact that I wanted to check out Flower and Garden Festival for the first time. I cut across the walkway leading to the Odyssey to check out the merchandise. While there I got the fried green tomatoes with blue crab fennel salad, remoulade, and smoked paprika oil. It was a tasty little treat though I was so hungry at that point I would have eaten anything!
IMG_6208.jpg

After eating this I headed in the direction of Mexico and took a ride to see the Three
Caballeros. Always a fun time with Donald! After that it really was getting late and I was still hungry and wanted to find a spot to watch Illuminations so I headed back the other way to look at some of the food booths. I love corn on the cob so I decided to try the Grilled Street Corn on the Cob with Savory Garlic Spread. It was good, but messy. I also a dessert from this booth, the Chocolate Pudding Terranium with Avocado Cream, Matcha Crumb, Pomegranate, and Baby Herbs. It was really pretty and I wish I would have taken a picture but my hands were full with the corn on the cob. I liked the pudding, but didn't care much for the crumb or pomegranate on top. By this point, it was getting close to time for Illuminations to start so I didn't want to venture much further so I found a spot right behind the special party they do with reserved seating and waited for the show to begin.
IMG_6212.jpg

Not the best picture, but you get an idea of how good my spot was. After Illuminations was over, I was enjoying my way out of Epcot and decided to stop off in Mouse Gears to get my AP magnet and do a little shopping. It really was a good idea because I was able to enjoy my way out of Epcot after my shopping without being in a crowded stampede. I strolled my way back to the parking lot and was surprised in how little traffic was left leaving. The time spent in Mouse Gears really allowed for the crowd to exit the park. Soon enough I was back at my hotel and getting ready for the conference which started the next morning.

Overall, I had a great evening in Epcot. I wish I would have focused more on Flower and Garden since I really didn't make it very far around the lagoon but I guess that gives me a good reason to try to go back during that time another year. And, it being the first time I was solo in a Disney park was a bit concerning to me leading into the trip, but it didn't take me long to appreciate the fact that I could do what I wanted when I wanted to do it. No one made me feel weird or out of place for being alone. And I learned that I really like myself!

Up next: This conference is over, on to AKL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter