I booked for December! And I may not go...

benjyt

Mouseketeer
It’s the time of year. Happens every time.

We visited WDW last December. After our return home, my DW declared that 2018 would be a Disney-free vacation year. The kids and I have accepted our fate, so far. But, with school starting back next week, and thoughts drifting to calendar plans for the rest of the year, and wondering what would be better than visiting WDW at Christmas, I came to the most reasonable conclusion that nothing is better than visiting WDW at Christmas!

So, with my resolve weakened and my spirits high, I casually began trying to book a FW camp site. We love FW, although we’ve only stayed there twice - both times in rented RVs. Last December, I made plans for a visit to tent camp, probably only my son and me, and do a quick weekend trip for a MVMCP and/or Candlelight Processional. Drive the (relatively) short 5+ hours to the Fort, put up the tent, and enjoy a low maintenance and wonderful long weekend! When my family found out my plans, the long weekend morphed into a week at OKW and SSR. Oh, well.

I still like the December, long weekend, tent camping plan. Therefore, I’ve booked three nights for a tent/pop-up site in mid-December. I don’t think my DW or DD will buy into it, but I don’t think they’ll work against me this time. It may be, just possibly, that my DS and I will enjoy a few days at the great Fort Wilderness!

Or not.

But, in the meantime, I can plan and daydream about the fun we could have.

Yep, you got a campsite on the books, benjyt. So let the daydreaming begin! Congrats.

Bama Ed

PS - you can look at the trip dates in my sig and see we have a hard time skipping a year at the Fort (lol)

Well, we are booked for December (and January) and we are planning on going.

Call me crazy, but it's on MY bucket list to do Disney on New Years. I know it will be crazy crowded and this will probably be our only trip during this time of the year.Wife thinks I'm nuts but since she is the Disney Fanatic, she is okay with it.

So our planning is well on it's way.

We are also going to be there in just over 2 weeks. (We depart 2 weeks tomorrow) Long drive from PA but it's still nicer with the camper then paying for Air Fare, Hotel, rental cars and ALL meals.

I am a little stressed out, but It's still nice to have the family going and having a nice time. (We are planning on getting an AP as well)

So plan and dream on and enjoy.

Peg110 if possible we need pictures! Safe travels
Oh, no doubt there will be pictures.

Right now our plan is to be in MK on NYE. (I know... were crazy:crazy:).
From what I have read and heard, this is one of the few days where the park gets filled to capacity and they start refusing entry. So our plan is to be there ALL DAY. Go real early and stay until midnight. Not sure how it's going to work out though. Time will tell.
:jumping1:

the last time we were at MK on NYE was 2015>2016... We got there at rope drop and crowds were manageable until 11ish or so when it got crazy crowded but by 7 or 8pm it was stupid crazy.. unbearable to the point were we left before the fireworks... We rode the tram to the parking lot and watched the fireworks from there... not ideal but my wife simply could not deal with elbow to elbow crowds. On NYE 2016>2017 we had dinner at Park Fare and watched the fireworks from there... much better than the tram parking area or MK IMO... BTW, we were not at WDW for NYE 2017>2018... i think we are done with WDW at NYE for a while... maybe forever... been there, done that..

i think we are done with WDW at NYE for a while... maybe forever...
Yeah, I am thinking this trip will be a One and Done. Somehow, I have a feeling that my experience may be the same as yours... Leaving before the fireworks, and leaving well before Midnight. I hope not, but I am preparing for it anyway.

Peg I'll be waiting for you at the dock
I'll be looking for you. I still haven't reserved my GC for the December trip yet. :(

i think we are done with WDW at NYE for a while... maybe forever... been there, done that.

Yeah, I am thinking this trip will be a One and Done.

I have done Disney at Day after Christmas to a day or two after New Years a few times. It is something that everyone who enjoys Disney should do at least once, any maybe only once.

One year we did Epcot on NYE one time and would not do it again (2009->2010). It was insane. 30 minute wait to get into the restroom. The MENS restroom that is. No fast passes where available for that line.

And we did wind up leaving a bit early, and watched the fireworks from the exit turnstiles. Which actually was a lot of fun. The cast members there were playing and having fun. It was much better than the chaos that was around the lake.

We have also done Downtown Disney (before it was Disney Springs). I think there were actually fewer drunk people there than at Epcot. Leaving was a different story. We sat in the parking lot until after 2:00 am trying to get out.

We've done 2 NYE at the Fort and it's GREAT. The beach has a great vibe - we set up chairs, bring some refreshments and make a night of it. There is music, games for the kids, lots of people but not suffocatingly crowded. And you can hear the MK DJ and see the fireworks. I don't think I will ever be in a park for NYE (did it once in my 20s at Epcot) but absolutely love that season at the Fort. Can't wait for this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter