I am renting my first scooter to use at WDW, and guess what I am going to do?

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
I will be renting a heavy duty mobility scooter or ECV (Electric Convenience Vehicle) for the very first time from an outside rental company to use for my whole trip.

I will call Randy's Mobility today to place my order to use in about three weeks.

I am 55 years old, an overweight pooh size person that has difficulty walking long distances. Long distances for me is from the WDW Magic Kingdom bus to the front gate to rent a WDW ECV. So I can walk, but getting from one place to another causes great pain and discomfort. The past year, I am also getting very out of breath with some chest pain when walking.

When I used a ECV at the WDW parks, I felt so much better and free to go just about anywhere without thinking about the distance and whether I would be able to make it without falling to the ground.

I have not seen many Mobility DISers post on the Disability Board that can't walk long distances. Almost everyone has a valid reason to use a wheelchair or mobility scooter.

There must be others like me out there that are stubborn and refuse to get a handicap sticker, because we can walk, but cannot walk long distances.

Over the years, I have missed out on so many chances to visit different parts of the WDW resorts and other areas because of the fear of walking long distances and the need to request help.

After all I can walk.

I have started getting excited about the rental and I am starting to think of the million of places that I can go every day using the rental mobility scooter.

I'll be staying in a Studio at the Disney Old Key West Resort. I had not planned to go to WDW until December, when I usually go. But I was able to trade a studio timeshare on the Interval International site for this Studio and the DVC (Disney Vacation Club) Old Key West Resort.

I can't believe that I got this lucky, because I usually never see an exchange into Disney property, so I jumped on this. What a great deal.

Well, having and using a mobility scooter for my entire trip, I will be able to leave my OKW studio room to have meals at the OKW Olivia's restaurant. Not a big deal to many, but I would not think about eating at Olivia's restaurant unless I was also going to a park or checking out.

More importantly, I will be able to stroll around the property.

I plan on riding around the golf course path, if it is allowed, to see all the beautiful scenery.

I also plan to drive to the OKW marina, and hop on the boat launch to Sarasota Springs Resort and tour the area. Or take the same boat launch to Downtown Disney for the day, and visit all the stores at Downtown Market Place. Then scoot over and stroll through Pleasure Island and then on over to West Side, and maybe see a movie.

During the evening, Downtown Disney West End seems to have beautiful walk next to the lake which is very pretty at night. As a matter of fact all of Downtown Disney looks so different lighted up at night. I could visit the Jazz Club at Pleasure Island at night and maybe other clubs if it is not too crowded. And, of course, Downtown Market Place is beautiful at night.

Oh, I almost forgot. I would love to take the path from Old Key West Resort to Downtown Disney West Side. This sounds like a beautiful walk.

And a trip to Disney's Wilderness Camp Ground to tour the area and trails and have dinner at Trail's End restaurant and then scoot over to visit the nightly, outdoor marshmallow roast and outdoor movie.

And maybe use the trail from Wilderness Lodge Resort to the Wilderness Campground. This should be a beautiful walk.

Epcot will be a main attraction for me this time of year with all the blooming flowers. I can take my time and visit and enjoy every single area at Epcot.

And at the Epcot International Gateway scoot around the lake to see all of the resorts. Especially at night. I've always wanted to walk around the lake without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. Now I will be able to for the very first time. I can plan on eating at the Yachtsman Steakhouse or the Beach Club Ice Cream Place. And visit Boardwalk Resorts ESPN's restaurant and maybe watch some baseball.

Oh and maybe use the trail from the Boardwalk and MGM.

And scooting around the lakes at the Coronado Springs Resort and the Caribbean Resort. This must be a beautiful area, too.

Oh, and scooting around the Port Orleans Riverside Resort walkways and river over to the Port Orleans French Quarter Resort. And, of course, a boat launch to the Downtown Disney area.

Maybe even to the WDW All-Star Resorts and POP Century Resort to take my time and see all of the large icons of the resorts.

And maybe tour the sidewalk that I have seen from the monorail around the lake from the transportation center to Magic Kingdom. And visit the Polynesian Resort and Grand Floridian Resort and Contemporary Resort pool area and marinas and grounds.

And to visit the AKL resorts outside area. I actually have never done this because of the walking thing. Now, I will.

And visiting the All Star Sports Complex to look around and see what is there.

And, of course, all of the parks, lol.

And I will be able to take the WDW Bus transportation, boat launches, monorail, ferryboat and sidewalks and trails everywhere.

Have I left out anything?

I am getting so excited.

Is there anything that I can look up for you while I am there? Are there any pictures that I can take while I am down there that you might be interested to see?

I'll try to make a trip report when I get back with all of my experiences.

Sincerely, Ray

Ray,

Enjoy your 'walks'.

A few comments:

I have seen signs posted on some of the paths near OKW 'golfers only'. I don't know how strongly this rule is enforced.

Double-check the OKW boat dock for access. Something in my mind says it has steps and no ramp.

The boat Downtown Disney to Port Orleans is definitely accessible, and a great ride. Riding around the lake at Port Orleans Riverside is also pleasant.

One other 'walk' you might also try out is from the Transport & Ticket Centre (TTC), through the Polynesian stopping off at their shops, then past their marina and the Luau theatre, then continue on the path past the Wedding Pavillion, the health club and on to the Grand Floridian. This is the walkway that you see from the Monorail. Unfortunately it doesn't make a complete circle of the lake. You can't get from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom, nor from TTC to the Contemporary.

Andrew

RaySharpton said:
There must be others like me out there that are stubborn and refuse to get a handicap sticker, because we can walk, but cannot walk long distances.
I know when I asked my doctor several years ago about a handicap tag, his reaction was: "Why did you wait so long to ask me?"

Enjoy your new freedom I know it took me a long time to give in and use a scooter. It makes my trips to Disney World so much more enjoyable. If it wasn't for my family I would still be walking and missing so much because of pain and mobility. When we go for walks my husband just walks beside the scooter and holds my hand so nice to go for walks again.

Ray you are going to have a blast. One warning. The paths in Ft Wilderness are poorly lit at night so be careful you don't right off the sidewalk.

We are going to the parks this June and for the first time, will be needing a wheelchair for my father. He has just learned that he has virtually no cartiledge left in his knees and needs knee replacement for both, but the surgery is scheduled for after our trip. He still plans on coming with us but we feel that he might be in too much pain to walk around, so we will be using a wheelchair or scooter for his trip. I think we would prefer the ECV since it will aford him some freedom and he won't have to rely on others to push him around.

Are there places near the park that we can rent them for our stay? I hear that at the parks it is first come first serve and I don't think my dad can get up early enough or walk fast enough to get the vehicle. Also, there is no guarantee that if we change parks, he would get one at the next park. Do they go fast?

I really would rather he use the ECV for his trip.

I hope you have a wonderful trip with your scooter.
My FIL finally rented one at Epcot the last day of our trip last year. This year, he rented one at Epcot and MGM. We have been working on him to rent one from one of the off-site rental places. Maybe next year, he'll work up to that!
Anyway, the link that pugdog posted has information about transportation with wheelchairs/ecvs, inlcluding bus transportation.
Andrew Bichard said:
I have seen signs posted on some of the paths near OKW 'golfers only'. I don't know how strongly this rule is enforced.

Double-check the OKW boat dock for access. Something in my mind says it has steps and no ramp.
My DH has walked on the golf course paths in the late evening and no one said anything. But, if you walk on them while the golfers are out, you will be told to leave. Another thing is that there are not paths that lead from the OKW villas to the golf course paths (since they want to encourage non-golfers to stay off of them).
If you go to Hank's Rent (I forgot the exact name, but it's the place you rent boats at OKW), they should be able to give you a good idea of which paths you can explore.

The OKW boat dock accessible by ramp. Go past the steps (toward the pool) and you will find a ramp on the same side that goes down to the dock. The boats to DD are accessible. Also, one of our traditions is to rent a pontoon boat. We can drive DD's wheelchair right on or you could park your scooter on the dock (she gets out and transfers to a seat).
Sometimes the ramps are not really visible and you have to look a bit, but we have not found anyplace at WDW that doesn't have a ramp somewhere near when you find steps.

Thank you everyone for all of you good wishes and information. I can't wait.

Ray

SueM in MN said:
I hope you have a wonderful trip with your scooter.
My FIL finally rented one at Epcot the last day of our trip last year. This year, he rented one at Epcot and MGM. We have been working on him to rent one from one of the off-site rental places. Maybe next year, he'll work up to that!

Thank you, Sue. All of your information in the sticky is so very helpful.

And thank you for your advice about the golf paths and ramps.

I have been very stubborn when it comes to renting an outside agency for a scooter. I just could not justify it since I can walk. It has taken years for me to finally break down and rent one and now I am very happy and excited about my decision. What can I say? I am a man...lol.

Ray

Andrew Bichard said:
Ray,

Enjoy your 'walks'.

One other 'walk' you might also try out is from the Transport & Ticket Centre (TTC), through the Polynesian stopping off at their shops, then past their marina and the Luau theatre, then continue on the path past the Wedding Pavillion, the health club and on to the Grand Floridian. This is the walkway that you see from the Monorail. Unfortunately it doesn't make a complete circle of the lake. You can't get from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom, nor from TTC to the Contemporary.

Andrew

Thank you for all of your advice and well wishes, Andrew.

That is exactly the walkway that I saw from the monorail. I'll definitely try that path.

Ray

Cheshire Figment said:
I know when I asked my doctor several years ago about a handicap tag, his reaction was: "Why did you wait so long to ask me?"

Thank you Cheshire Figment. I know some day, as I get much older, I will need one, but I will never ask for a handicap tag as long as I can park near by and still walk. I would feel too embarrassed. But that is just me. As I said, I know that some day in the future, as I get older, it may be necessary. I am a stubborn old goat of a man...lol.

poohbear7 said:
Enjoy your new freedom I know it took me a long time to give in and use a scooter. It makes my trips to Disney World so much more enjoyable. If it wasn't for my family I would still be walking and missing so much because of pain and mobility. When we go for walks my husband just walks beside the scooter and holds my hand so nice to go for walks again.

I have seen this before at WDW, and it is so sweet to see. That is wonderful.

Talking Hands said:
Ray you are going to have a blast. One warning. The paths in Ft Wilderness are poorly lit at night so be careful you don't right off the sidewalk.

Thank you, Talking Hands for the well wishes. I guess that I better take my small pocket flashlight with me and make sure that it has fresh batteries and bulb. Maybe my scooter will have a light, too.

I was going to try one of those multi color margaritas in Epcot's Mexican pavilion that I have heard so much about. I'll try to stay on the sidewalk...lol.

Ray

Iris said:
We are going to the parks this June and for the first time, will be needing a wheelchair for my father. He has just learned that he has virtually no cartiledge left in his knees and needs knee replacement for both, but the surgery is scheduled for after our trip. He still plans on coming with us but we feel that he might be in too much pain to walk around, so we will be using a wheelchair or scooter for his trip. I think we would prefer the ECV since it will aford him some freedom and he won't have to rely on others to push him around.

Are there places near the park that we can rent them for our stay? I hear that at the parks it is first come first serve and I don't think my dad can get up early enough or walk fast enough to get the vehicle. Also, there is no guarantee that if we change parks, he would get one at the next park. Do they go fast?

I really would rather he use the ECV for his trip.

Hi, Iris. I know what you mean about all the ECV's being rented out early. It was very frustrating to walk all the way and then find out there were no ECV's available because they were all rented out. Especially at Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

I've usually rented the Walt Disney World Electric Convenience Vehicle scooters at the parks for $30.00, plus a refundable $10.00 key charge for a total of $40.00 per day.

Sometimes they have rented all of the E.C.V. Scooters out to customers at Epcot for the evening. I can either wait for someone to return one, or try and walk the fairly long distance for me.

I am using Randy's Mobility because of the price. But they will only deliver the scooter if you are there to accept it. I am going to arrive early Saturday before my room is ready. They told me to call ahead of time around 7:30 A.M. and for me to tell them when I will arrive. They would meet me in the lobby, and I could use the scooter early, before my room is ready. They are also only going to charge me for seven days instead of eight or more days.

Other DISere like Medical rental company and others because they do not have to be present to accept the scooter. The rental company will deliver the scooter the resort for you to pick up at any time. It's up to you.

Sue and pugdog and others are right. That sticky at the top of the disability board is very helpful.

Here is a list that I used to compare prices and scooters:

ºoº Care Medical: www.caremedicalequipment.com
Phone (407) 856-2273
Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

ºoº Colonial Medical
www.colonialmed.com
(800)747-0246

ºoº Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

ºoº RANDY'S Mobility in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com

ºoº www.scootarama.com

ºoº www.scootaround.com

RaySharpton said:
Thank you, Talking Hands for the well wishes. I guess that I better take my small pocket flashlight with me and make sure that it has fresh batteries and bulb. Maybe my scooter will have a light, too.
Another thing I've seen and meant to do (but always forgot about it until too late) are small flashlights called Snakelights. They are a medium size flashlight with a flexible body. You can bend them to fit around your wrist, part of the scooter, etc.

You will have a great time. you sound very much like my FIL. He finally rented an ecv at Epcot the last day of our trip last year. This year, he rented twice, at Epcot and MGM. Maybe next year, he will rent from one of the off-site places (I've printed out all the contact info for him several times). He did say he felt silly for having been so stubborn to not rent one for so many years.

RaySharpton said:
but I will never ask for a handicap tag as long as I can park near by and still walk.

please don't "feel embarassed." i think each state has it's own guideines as to what abilities (or lack of abilities) a person must have in order to qualify for tags. you may or may not quailfy now, but you'd need to check your state's rules/regs to know. if you do qualify, it doesn't mean you HAVE to park in an accessible spot. -dj

RaySharpton said:
Hi, Ray. I am 65, and I have CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue Immunice Deficiency Syndrome), Fibromyalgia, and Arthritis. Some days I can walk pretty well - other days are not so good. My doc and I agreed that when I have the energy, I won't use my handicap parking tag. However, if not using it means that I exhaust all of my energy getting from the parking lot into the store, that's a good day to use it to park closer. There is one thing I am very conscientious about, though. I try to pick a single slot handicap parking place - leaving the van-accessible spaces open for those who need to extend a ramp out in order to get their wheelchair or scooter out of their van.

:grouphug:

Sounds like you are going to have a great time! We met some friends from the UK....the male half had a scooter for the first time...he was quite crippled from different ailments. It was wonderful to watch him have mobility...although his wife had a hard time keeping up with him!

Don't you think if you have the scooter you ought to carry all the park supplies? I keep threatening my Mom that I am gonna get one for her so she can carry the backpack :)

I agree about the paths at Ft. Wilderness. For my December camping trips, I take hubby's ECV with me (I go solo for this trip) and use it as a golf cart around Ft. Wilderness. It is an older model without a light. I bought one of those headlamps and strapped it to the center tiller above the basket. It makes a big difference having that light shining while your'e riding around Ft. Wilderness.

Hubby has the same problems you do as far as walking. He can walk short distances, but can't walk all day around WDW. Having the scooter has meant that he can really enjoy the parks with us!!

He has finally had his knee replacement surgery and is doing wonderful!! However, I suspect that for our next few trips in July and November, he will still bring the scooter with him. Maybe by next October's trip he'll be able to go without it!!!

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter