I am not smarter than a 5th grader

dez1978

DIS Veteran
I swear I used to be smart before I had kids. I did. But my 5th graders homework lately is kicking my butt and making me thank god for google. And then he asked the other day if you had a cup of ice water and filled it up all the way to the brim would it overflow as the ice melted and added more water to the glass. I said yes, DH says no bc the extra water would take up the space that the ice cubes did, which makes perfect sense. Someone please tell me you've had something dumb happen to you like that lately so I feel better about myself.

I swear I used to be smart before I had kids. I did. But my 5th graders homework lately is kicking my butt and making me thank god for google. And then he asked the other day if you had a cup of ice water and filled it up all the way to the brim would it overflow as the ice melted and added more water to the glass. I said yes, DH says no bc the extra water would take up the space that the ice cubes did, which makes perfect sense. Someone please tell me you've had something dumb happen to you like that lately so I feel better about myself.
Also, ice takes up more room than water, so as the ice melted, the level of water would actually go down a bit.

Also, ice takes up more room than water, so as the ice melted, the level of water would actually go down a bit.
Way to make her feel dumber, Dan! She said she’s trying to feel better about herself, not worse. :rotfl:

Don’t worry about it, OP. My brain turned to mush after I had kids. I swear I’m in an extended state of pregnancy brain. I haven’t been smarter than a 5th grader in a long time.

Sometimes the kids in my class come up with questions where I just say, “Wow. Good question!” Although today a 4th grader told me her parents are buying a new house and it’s costing a lot of money. I asked her how much she thinks a house in our area would cost. She said, “A lot! Like about $600. Wait, maybe not that much. But a lot!”

Way to make her feel dumber, Dan! She said she’s trying to feel better about herself, not worse. :rotfl:

Don’t worry about it, OP. My brain turned to mush after I had kids. I swear I’m in an extended state of pregnancy brain. I haven’t been smarter than a 5th grader in a long time.
Yeah thanks Dan! lol.

Sometimes I just have these moments of utter stupidity where I can't help but laugh at myself.

Don't feel bad, OP, our education system in the US has been terrible in math and science generally. Personally I am bad with geography, those European lakes and rivers question on jeopardy always throw me!

My 8th grader is in algebra 1 and there have been a few assignments where I punted homework help to DD20, despite a three-hour time difference and the need to do it via video chat and messenger. Math was my weakest subject when I was in school and it has been 25 years since then, so I try to be gentle with myself when I can't figure out some horrific slope equation.

I ruled the world in my twenties. I knew everything. Today, if technology is involved, I will always need a 12 year old to manage it for me. I liked math, but my brain is post-pregnancy and it no worky no more much good.
PS: Pro-parenting tip of 2022: look it up on YouTube.

It's OK I was never strong at math, thankfully my wife was, but when the kids came home in some class called Discrete Math I nearly lost it with the dad jokes. I got my revenge when they actually had to apply their studies in college using Excel then my wife stepped aside and I helped out. ;)

I swear I used to be smart before I had kids
My brain turned to mush after I had kids.

I blame it on lack of an uninterrupted night's sleep since, well, before they were born - first they sit on your bladder, then they wake you up every two hours to eat, then for nightmares or bathroom trips or whatever (then maybe, if you're lucky, you get a short break) and then they become teenage night owls...and find whole new ways to keep you up. 😆

What in the fresh HE double hockey sticks is this????
Lol, I'm not sure if you want an actual answer or not (my guess is no) but the math nerd in me says I need to answer (sorry 😇)

Discrete math/data involves countable quantities (there can be 1000 people in MK today and 1001 people in MK tomorrow but not 1000.5 people). This is compared to Continuous math/data which can be any value in a set range (the time a person spends at MK could be 302.47658 minutes)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter