I am liking the combo of FP+ and the DAS!

amzking

DIS Veteran
Just went to MK yesterday. Previously we had used the DAS a couple of times and found it difficult to deal with all the backtracking, plus both my spouse gets migraines and does not tolerate more than a few hours in a park, so unless we went early fast passes were somewhat useless for us.

Well, we arrived at MK shortly after opening (8am) yesterday, and had made our FP+ reservations and were walking down Main Street by 830. We had a blast! It did not click with me that if the posted time was 10 minutes or less then you went through the FP line without getting your card signed. The combo of that, FP+, and low crowds made it a dream, 12 rides in 21/2 hours, my son was in heaven, and we headed for the gate by a little after 11.

I was considering going on Friday night, but I was concerned about what fast pass times we would get and I didn't want to take any chances. This is still my biggest issue with FP+ - you REALLY need to use the DAS together with FP+ to maximize your experience and I have no way of knowing what times I may get after driving 1.5 hours to a park. Before we could check the MDE app or Touring Plans and see what Fps were left, not any more. When we can make our reservations in advance it will really be a help.

AND I just saw that we can schedule Fantasmic as a FP+ selection. I have always been hesitant to use the GAC at Fantasmic because it seemed to me I would still have to arrive super early and wait in the huge crowd. Scheduling it in advance means that I WILL be able to finally see it before our passes expire in September.

Now I am hoping that they don't change the DAS any more - LOL!

Just went to MK yesterday. Previously we had used the DAS a couple of times and found it difficult to deal with all the backtracking, plus both my spouse gets migraines and does not tolerate more than a few hours in a park, so unless we went early fast passes were somewhat useless for us.

Well, we arrived at MK shortly after opening (8am) yesterday, and had made our FP+ reservations and were walking down Main Street by 830. We had a blast! It did not click with me that if the posted time was 10 minutes or less then you went through the FP line without getting your card signed. The combo of that, FP+, and low crowds made it a dream, 12 rides in 21/2 hours, my son was in heaven, and we headed for the gate by a little after 11.

I was considering going on Friday night, but I was concerned about what fast pass times we would get and I didn't want to take any chances. This is still my biggest issue with FP+ - you REALLY need to use the DAS together with FP+ to maximize your experience and I have no way of knowing what times I may get after driving 1.5 hours to a park. Before we could check the MDE app or Touring Plans and see what Fps were left, not any more. When we can make our reservations in advance it will really be a help.

AND I just saw that we can schedule Fantasmic as a FP+ selection. I have always been hesitant to use the GAC at Fantasmic because it seemed to me I would still have to arrive super early and wait in the huge crowd. Scheduling it in advance means that I WILL be able to finally see it before our passes expire in September.

Now I am hoping that they don't change the DAS any more - LOL!
Just to clarify, if the posted wait is 10 minutes or less, you may be sent thru the Fastpass or Standby line.
We found Fastpass Plus worked well for us; we scheduled those times and then worked around/filled around them with using DAS and attractions with short waits.

I don't know how Fantasmic is working now for Fastpass Plus. When we went in November, we went thru a separate Fastpass Plus/dinner package entrance which was much less congested than going in the 'regular' way.
The path we followed had very few people in it and we came into the theater area using a different entrance than the crowd. A large area of the theater was roped off for those guests.

Other people have mentioned that there was no special seating when they used Fastpass plus.

Low crowds means great time w dac or no dac. You mention less that 10 min waits for standby. The real test I'd for high summer season when even the people mover is 30 min wait.

We were just there and There were long lines for things and the DAS and FP+ a great combo.. I totally agree... You have to plan a little bit more but you can get way more accomplished. I truly believe that the new system has reduced the standby and fp lines that the whole process will be so much better as people become more familiar with it. I was skeptical but so happy with the new system.

Low crowds means great time w dac or no dac. You mention less that 10 min waits for standby. The real test I'd for high summer season when even the people mover is 30 min wait.

Or days like yesterday when FP+ lines were very long in some cases. I'm concerned that we"ll have to wait twice as long as everyone else when the FP+ line is as long as the standby line. Once outside the line and then going to the end of the FP+ line to wait.

I have seen video of people returning to the "alternate entrance" just to go straight to the scan point and cut in front of the whole line. I don't think we"d be comfortable doing that though.

I am happy to hear that people are having some very positive experiences!

I have seen video of people returning to the "alternate entrance" just to go straight to the scan point and cut in front of the whole line. I don't think we"d be comfortable doing that though.

I'm guessing that won't be happening much longer - once it has been made public that people can cut a queue, and more people try to do it, Disney will be quick to fix that.

We never did 12 attractions in 2.5 hours, not even with the GAC. Crowds would have to be extremely low, so low that you wouldn't even need the DAS. Let's see what happens with spring break and summer crowds.

Since the DAS works like a fast pass, it won't be long before people without disabilities will see it as a way to get more return times in addition to their three fastpasses. I'm sure it's happening already.

We never did 12 attractions in 2.5 hours, not even with the GAC. Crowds would have to be extremely low, so low that you wouldn't even need the DAS. Let's see what happens with spring break and summer crowds. Since the DAS works like a fast pass, it won't be long before people without disabilities will see it as a way to get more return times in addition to their three fastpasses. I'm sure it's happening already.

I've already seen it "innocently" mentioned in the "Tell us how to beat FP+" thread on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board.

I don't think the GAC to DAS changes had anything whatsoever to do with preventing abuse or "overuse". It has to do with the FP+ changes and getting everyone into that system. It's about Disney's best interests. If there were no laws in place, there would be no accommodations whatsoever.

And now, even if we're there during a non-busy time, we'll have to wait longer than everyone else if there's some unexpected busy day.

:confused3 Are you saying that if the regular line is under 10min you can go through FP lane without having DAS card signed - almost like the way the GAC worked?
Sorry just trying to plan so I can cut down wait times......DS9 tends to melt down in long lines and small crowded places.

:confused3 Are you saying that if the regular line is under 10min you can go through FP lane without having DAS card signed - almost like the way the GAC worked?
Sorry just trying to plan so I can cut down wait times......DS9 tends to melt down in long lines and small crowded places.

Yes, in most cases you can use the FP line if under 10 minutes. Your DAS return time is the current wait time - 10 minutes so if it is less than 10 you can go with no card signing.

The card works and the new system is much more 'stringent' in the rules. I found the lines even with 90 minute waits very manageable. For example. The Story Time With Bell had a 65 minute wait. We got our return time and then we went and visited a character that had a short line, rode the Carousel , and went on It's a Small World. She was having a pretty difficult time so we rested in the shade and had a Dole Whip break :) It was about 90 minutes or more before we got back to the attraction. I didn't feel any rushing around - you can come back ANYTIME after the return time..

I personally feel that this new system has leveled the playing field for everyone. Everyone waits, and everyone pays the same and everyones needs are met = Happy for all!

In response to the Video mentioned. Sometimes what people SEE isn't really what they see. Who is to say why those people were in that , or needed that, access.. Case in point. My daughter , after the above scenario got in to the attraction for Belle, the first part TOTALLY freaked her out - she was so upset and could not calm down - almost to the point of triggering a seizure. I didn't expect that reaction since she was chomping at the bit to go in there.. Anyway, we had to walk out - however, a KIND CM pulled us aside and asked us what was wrong and we explained. He had a good idea - he wrote the current return time down and gave us a little credit since we had only gotten in for a few minutes. Told us to come back and see him. So we walked until she calmed down and came back - he walked us to another entrance and told us to wait - of course to the LOOKS of the people in both lines. We sat and waited as if we were in the FP line - when the group we would have been in went inside he came and got us and told us we would Join the group AFTER they clear the first part of the attraction. So for anyone else watching or wondering it looked like we were getting express access when in fact he was trying to address her needs and STILL treat us as a typically abled guest. So what people see sometimes is only 1/2 the story. so I hope people and videos don't start causing issues and that they system can remain protected for the people is it meant to serve. I do however like the new process of getting one - I think it weeds out a lot of issues and fraud.

Just to clarify, if the posted wait is 10 minutes or less, you may be sent thru the Fastpass or Standby line.
We found Fastpass Plus worked well for us; we scheduled those times and then worked around/filled around them with using DAS and attractions with short waits.

I don't know how Fantasmic is working now for Fastpass Plus. When we went in November, we went thru a separate Fastpass Plus/dinner package entrance which was much less congested than going in the 'regular' way.
The path we followed had very few people in it and we came into the theater area using a different entrance than the crowd. A large area of the theater was roped off for those guests.

Other people have mentioned that there was no special seating when they used Fastpass plus.

OT sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but...

We haven't been able to work in Fantasmic since using the DAS twice since last October, but after reading this thread wonder if they are they no longer accommodating those who can't do steps in the upper rows of the theater? If they still are, do you have to wait in the 'regular' line now?

Yes, in most cases you can use the FP line if under 10 minutes. Your DAS return time is the current wait time - 10 minutes so if it is less than 10 you can go with no card signing.

The card works and the new system is much more 'stringent' in the rules. I found the lines even with 90 minute waits very manageable. For example. The Story Time With Bell had a 65 minute wait. We got our return time and then we went and visited a character that had a short line, rode the Carousel , and went on It's a Small World. She was having a pretty difficult time so we rested in the shade and had a Dole Whip break :) It was about 90 minutes or more before we got back to the attraction. I didn't feel any rushing around - you can come back ANYTIME after the return time..

I personally feel that this new system has leveled the playing field for everyone. Everyone waits, and everyone pays the same and everyones needs are met = Happy for all!

In response to the Video mentioned. Sometimes what people SEE isn't really what they see. Who is to say why those people were in that , or needed that, access..Case in point. My daughter , after the above scenario got in to the attraction for Belle, the first part TOTALLY freaked her out - she was so upset and could not calm down - almost to the point of triggering a seizure. I didn't expect that reaction since she was chomping at the bit to go in there.. Anyway, we had to walk out - however, a KIND CM pulled us aside and asked us what was wrong and we explained. He had a good idea - he wrote the current return time down and gave us a little credit since we had only gotten in for a few minutes. Told us to come back and see him. So we walked until she calmed down and came back - he walked us to another entrance and told us to wait - of course to the LOOKS of the people in both lines. We sat and waited as if we were in the FP line - when the group we would have been in went inside he came and got us and told us we would Join the group AFTER they clear the first part of the attraction. So for anyone else watching or wondering it looked like we were getting express access when in fact he was trying to address her needs and STILL treat us as a typically abled guest. So what people see sometimes is only 1/2 the story. so I hope people and videos don't start causing issues and that they system can remain protected for the people is it meant to serve. I do however like the new process of getting one - I think it weeds out a lot of issues and fraud.

Bolding is mine.

I agree completely. We don't know what anyone else's circumstances are.

I'm not sure if it's okay to post video links here so maybe it will be deleted if not: http://youtu.be/gnutHcc8tbk

It was originally posted on another board to show the FP+ line at Space Mountain on a particular day. I asked the poster if he/she knew the reason that the group was allowed to go ahead of everyone else in line but he/she declined to answer. You can see them cross in front of the camera using ECV's before they went up to the first scan point so I don't know if they had a DAS card or not.

This line, though long, looks like it was moving quickly. My concern is some of the lines that were talked about from yesterday - long, slow lines. Either way I can't imagine that we'd ever go right up to the scanner ahead of other people. I'm not saying that they didn't have a valid reason.

Bolding is mine.

I'm not sure if it's okay to post video links here so maybe it will be deleted if not: http://youtu.be/gnutHcc8tbk

It was originally posted on another board to show the FP+ line at Space Mountain on a particular day. I asked the poster if he/she knew the reason that the group was allowed to go ahead of everyone else in line but he/she declined to answer. You can see them cross in front of the camera using ECV's before they went up to the first scan point so I don't know if they had a DAS card or not.

This line, though long, looks like it was moving quickly. My concern is some of the lines that were talked about from yesterday - long, slow lines. Either way I can't imagine that we'd ever go right up to the scanner ahead of other people. I'm not saying that they didn't have a valid reason.

:goodvibes

I think part of the whole problem is that the cards *GAC* prior to this were very 'loose' in terms of how the CM's handled it. We had a full stamped card, but, others not , but all got pretty much the same - in Alternate or FP and on the ride quickly. I think the sheer number of cards overwhelmed the CM's and then the fraud caused so many issues. There are people who don't need nearly that level of help and then there were those who were affected by the problems caused by the number of people using the cards. I really hope this new system continues to evolve. I truly believe that this is a very fair system. To be honest , yes, we got faster access to rides before - but we are getting on just as fast w/ the wait time now. We are using that wait time to address our needs - we have been looking for hidden mickey's , seeing some of the performers , characters etc.. Things we'd never have time to do . We don't need faster access to the rides we just need to have a way to keep her out of the longer lines due to her medical issues. We did experience long FP lines in a few instances - but that happens.. we could have chosen to come back later too.. The FP line got backed on Test Track due to weather, the FP line to Pooh due to ride outage issue. We had a back up at Toy Story but that is to be expected as it is a newer attraction and is a slow load.. we just prepare for that one. I think Disney is one of the few places that truly tries to level the playing field. I love the handicapped areas in the QS locations - makes it so much easier than trying to navigate a line with a Post Ictal child in a wheelchair and getting lunch .. I just hope that the sick people in this world who think that being medically fragile or differently abled a 'perk' - I'd give anything to cure my child and be able to be a typical person in a line - but to be able to bring my child to Disney safely and with her needs being met to enjoy her time = to those of he peers time and money well spent.

:goodvibes I truly believe that this is a very fair system. To be honest , yes, we got faster access to rides before - but we are getting on just as fast w/ the wait time now. We are using that wait time to address our needs - we have been looking for hidden mickey's , seeing some of the performers , characters etc.. Things we'd never have time to do . We don't need faster access to the rides we just need to have a way to keep her out of the longer lines due to her medical issues. We did experience long FP lines in a few instances - but that happens.. we could have chosen to come back later too.. The FP line got backed on Test Track due to weather, the FP line to Pooh due to ride outage issue. We had a back up at Toy Story but that is to be expected as it is a newer attraction and is a slow load.. we just prepare for that one. I think Disney is one of the few places that truly tries to level the playing field. I love the handicapped areas in the QS locations - makes it so much easier than trying to navigate a line with a Post Ictal child in a wheelchair and getting lunch .. I just hope that the sick people in this world who think that being medically fragile or differently abled a 'perk' - I'd give anything to cure my child and be able to be a typical person in a line - but to be able to bring my child to Disney safely and with her needs being met to enjoy her time = to those of he peers time and money well spent.

I totally agree, after reading more of the posts I think the ride lines will be fine. I, like anyone, hate long lines especially with kids and I like that I don't have to deal with that in Disney BUT that said Disney is a Magical Place and if a reduced line or alternate option for waiting will help reduce the odds of behavioral issues so that we can enjoy our vacation than I will use every 'perk' I can get. Otherwise we would probably not be able to enjoy a vacation there. I am getting really excited for our upcoming trip and am counting down the 82 days til we leave!

:goodvibes

I think part of the whole problem is that the cards *GAC* prior to this were very 'loose' in terms of how the CM's handled it. We had a full stamped card, but, others not , but all got pretty much the same - in Alternate or FP and on the ride quickly. I think the sheer number of cards overwhelmed the CM's and then the fraud caused so many issues. There are people who don't need nearly that level of help and then there were those who were affected by the problems caused by the number of people using the cards. I really hope this new system continues to evolve. I truly believe that this is a very fair system. To be honest , yes, we got faster access to rides before - but we are getting on just as fast w/ the wait time now. We are using that wait time to address our needs - we have been looking for hidden mickey's , seeing some of the performers , characters etc.. Things we'd never have time to do . We don't need faster access to the rides we just need to have a way to keep her out of the longer lines due to her medical issues. We did experience long FP lines in a few instances - but that happens.. we could have chosen to come back later too.. The FP line got backed on Test Track due to weather, the FP line to Pooh due to ride outage issue. We had a back up at Toy Story but that is to be expected as it is a newer attraction and is a slow load.. we just prepare for that one. I think Disney is one of the few places that truly tries to level the playing field. I love the handicapped areas in the QS locations - makes it so much easier than trying to navigate a line with a Post Ictal child in a wheelchair and getting lunch .. I just hope that the sick people in this world who think that being medically fragile or differently abled a 'perk' - I'd give anything to cure my child and be able to be a typical person in a line - but to be able to bring my child to Disney safely and with her needs being met to enjoy her time = to those of he peers time and money well spent.

My questions regarding the video had nothing to do with whether or not the new system was adequate for our needs. I don't think I communicated very well what my questions were which had more to do with how to handle the situation of a very long, slow moving FP+ line after returning from waiting outside the line with a DAS return time.

At any rate I found my answers in another thread in this post: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50754724&postcount=2

I guess we can't know what reason the party in the video had for going straight to the front of the line.

Sorry to OP as this isn't really relevant to your post. :guilty:

We have used FP+ and the DAS together and it worked really well,

However and this is referring to the video, we actually have gone straight up to the scanner when it was our time as this is what we have been told to do by the CMs after getting our time!
So maybe this is why those people did it? Because that's what they had been told...

I felt uncomfortable doing it and we luckily only came across 2 lines and they was way smaller then what the line in the video was like, the rest of the time there was nobody in the line when entering,
So it comes Down to what your told by different CMs I mean would you wait in that long line to collect your time from the CM? Because if you would then your actually doing that twice, or do you skip in front to get the time from the CM?

We have used FP+ and the DAS together and it worked really well,

However and this is referring to the video, we actually have gone straight up to the scanner when it was our time as this is what we have been told to do by the CMs after getting our time!
So maybe this is why those people did it? Because that's what they had been told...

I felt uncomfortable doing it and we luckily only came across 2 lines and they was way smaller then what the line in the video was like, the rest of the time there was nobody in the line when entering,
So it comes Down to what your told by different CMs I mean would you wait in that long line to collect your time from the CM? Because if you would then your actually doing that twice, or do you skip in front to get the time from the CM?

Good point! Maybe the party in the video was instructed to return to the scanner. Also, I totally forgot that we would have to wait in that long line to get a return time or else go straight up and get it. It's definitely not fair to wait twice and I'm sure we'd go up to get the return time for sure. It did look like there were people who'd waited in the line who were showing their return card so I think this is just another case in which Disney should have a consistent policy and let us know what it is.

Bolding is mine.

My guess is that they already had gotten wheelchair access return time cards and were arriving back to use them after parking their ECVs. You can see the man at the front of the group show something to the CM. I'm guessing it is the wheelchair return time tickets for the group.

Since the CM can repeatedly be heard to tell people to come forward, they may have actually been entering (what they thought was) between parties.
And, I think most people would come back to where they got the cards instead of the back of the line, especially if they were told to return to the podium or Fastpass Plus return..

My guess is that they already had gotten wheelchair access return time cards and were arriving back to use them after parking their ECVs. You can see the man at the front of the group show something to the CM. I'm guessing it is the wheelchair return time tickets for the group. Since the CM can repeatedly be heard to tell people to come forward, they may have actually been entering (what they thought was) between parties. And, I think most people would come back to where they got the cards instead of the back of the line, especially if they were told to return to the podium or Fastpass Plus return..

Thanks for clearing that up! So would people with a DAS return time return to the podium as well?

Thanks for clearing that up! So would people with a DAS return time return to the podium as well?

I think the intent with both is yo return to the Fastpass Return, but that the expectation is the line won't be long waiting to get in.

The part you can't tell from the video is how many of the people in that 'line' actually are at the right time yo go in. Our experience with Fastpass (old Fastpass) and with Fastpass Plus is that a lot of people sort of camp out in the area while waiting for their time to arrive.
We've already joined the 'line' and then realized that the people ahead of us in line still have 10 minutes or more before they can get in. That can be a major problem since they actually block access for people whose time has come.
You can hear the CM tell one man "2 more hours" in the video.

I've heard CMs tell people "the current time is xxxxx. Please move away from the entrance if your time is after that," and more than half of the line backs off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter