I am going to apologize now.... TRIP REPORT OKW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the way I see it. If Douglass says he had a bad stay at OKW then I believe that he had a bad stay.
That was his experience and I don't think there is any need for character assasination just because he expressed his experience on the board.
If he says that is what happened then I have no reason not to believe him.
Theo

I don't think starbox meant that was the only reason to chose OKW over other resorts, just that was one of the main amenities you get at OKW which you can't get at others.

Thanks. That's just what I meant - that telling someone that they should choose OKW for the space was really a non-issue if they were not planning a vacation where extra space was a big ++. In the same way, telling someone to choose BWV for the location if they want to spend most of their time at AK or MK is sort of a non-issue because it's not always an ideal location. Yes, the space at OKW is great and being close to EPCOT is great - but, depending on the situation of the travelling party, those things alone may not be a good reason to choose a resort.

It was not meant to be a comment on any resort - but simply an observation that there is not a one-size-fits-all reason to pick a given resort. I think there are lots of desirable things about OKW besides the size of the rooms, and we liked BWV in spite of and not because of it being next to EPCOT.

Well the way I see it. If Douglass says he had a bad stay at OKW then I believe that he had a bad stay.
That was his experience and I don't think there is any need for character assasination just because he expressed his experience on the board.
Theo

Well said Theoarn! I cannot believe Douglass is still being ridiculed. Some people only get one vacation year and having one bad experience is bad enough. I would of imagined every DVC members wants and expects every experience to be magical. Everyone has there own idea of a dream vacation. Somethings are very important to others and others roll with it. Every family is different and have different wants and needs.

I also do not believe you need to go more than one time to have the privilege of noting a negative experience. Putting DVC asside would you back to any vacation spot if you had a negative experience there? I know I wouldn't. I am self employed and many of times I am not able to get away.I have not been to OKW yet and I am not saying I would not go, but I will be certainly looking to see how many negative experiences folks are writing in about. Perhaps it was the time of year etc. Whatever the case is Douglass did not have a good experience. I cannot believe this thread is still going.

Theo

If OP had simply started a thread indicating his trip wasn't all he'd hoped for due to problems on the bus and a less than friendly CM, we all would have commiserated with him and wished in a better stay in the future. But his opening post was extremely inflammatory towards OKW for situations that the resort had no control over. When questioned as to why he felt OKW was to blame, he just kept repeating the incident on the bus. All we really wanted was clarification as to why OKW was the reason for such a horrible visit. Instead we got terse replies indicating we just "didn't get it" and a multitude of contradictory statements. I do apologize for getting a little carried away with some of my replies and I hope we haven't scared OP away forever...but when you start a thread out with "I am going to apologize now" you know you're asking for trouble!

We will be staying at SSR this October. I promise if we don't have a wonderful time, I will not come on these boards and slam the resort. Why? Because a resort cannot be judged by just one visit.

We have had not so great visits at our beloved Villas of Wilderness Lodge. But we have had many wonderful ones. I think you need to stay at a place more than once before you throw the baby out with the bath water.:thumbsup2

So your saying," Try try again and then you will hopefully succeed?"

So your saying," Try try again and then you will hopefully succeed?"

I'm sure a visit to OKW during the 4th of July holiday would be a lot different than staying there during a less busy season with more pleasant temperatures (especially if your traveling party consists of three todlers and a pregnant wife).

If OP had simply started a thread indicating his trip wasn't all he'd hoped for due to problems on the bus and a less than friendly CM, we all would have commiserated with him and wished in a better stay in the future. But his opening post was extremely inflammatory towards OKW for situations that the resort had no control over. When questioned as to why he felt OKW was to blame, he just kept repeating the incident on the bus. All we really wanted was clarification as to why OKW was the reason for such a horrible visit. Instead we got terse replies in all caps indicating we were stupid because we "didn't get it" and a multitude of contradictory statements. I do apologize for getting a little carried away with some of my replies and I hope we haven't scared OP away forever...but when you start a thread out with "I am going to apologize now" you know you're asking for trouble!

Maybe but to me it has gotten out of hand. His trip was not what he wanted, he went a bit overboard in descriptions but you would have thought he marched up to Mickey and kicked him in the but then stormed up to Cinderella and stomped on her crown.

I had a less than spectacular trip to VWL but have chosen not to go into detail because I am sure that my every move will be rehashed by the hindsight is 20/20 club and by the time the thread is over I too will be disected like a frog in Biology class.

Things happen, people over react when a trip they were so excited about goes bad.

Like maybe when you decide to wash ALL of your clothes in the VWL laundry and there is something wrong with the dryers that is not posted and your families entire wardrobe is soaking wet. 4+ hours into a simple trip to the laundry and you finally give up and go to the Conceirge to see if they can point you to the regular dryers and to let them know of the issue. The Conceirge realizes it is 9:57 pm and tells you they will be right back then come back AFTER 10pm and inform you they are closed and to go to the registration desk which has a line of over 10 people and you are standing in your pajama bottoms and your pool cover up.

Things like that can take the wind out of the pixie dust.

I'm sure a visit to OKW during the 4th of July holiday would be a lot different than staying there during a less busy season with more pleasant temperatures (especially if your traveling party consists of three todlers and a pregnant wife).

Maybe it would have maybe it wouldn't have. Who is to speculate. The point is there experience was not magical. I came back on the 4th. I have a four year old and an Autistic 9 year old. I had some set backs at the SSR. Maid service issues and a 6pm check in. It was tough and very stressful to have a late check in but we rolled with it. Other than that we had a great time but if I didn't would you come back and say that I did not have a good time because I have a special needs child and a toddler traveling on the 4th was not a good idea. July 4th is one of the most vacationed days of the year. Bottom line again his vacation was not magical whether it is the 4th or any other day of the year!!!! The 4th should be no exception.

As you can see I don't post very much on these boards, but do a lot of lurking and all I can think is What would Richyams say?

Maybe but to me it has gotten out of hand. His trip was not what he wanted, he went a bit overboard in descriptions but you would have thought he marched up to Mickey and kicked him in the but then stormed up to Cinderella and stomped on her crown.

I had a less than spectacular trip to VWL but have chosen not to go into detail because I am sure that my every move will be rehashed by the hindsight is 20/20 club and by the time the thread is over I too will be disected like a frog in Biology class.

Things happen, people over react when a trip they were so excited about goes bad.

:surfweb: Most true statement I've seen on this thread to date. Thank you Slakk.

And as another PP stated in this same thread , some of us aren't on the approved negative opinion list as of to date.

:confused3 Guess that comes when you get over 5,000 posts.....

JMHO
~DW:3dglasses

Well said Theoarn! I cannot believe Douglass is still being ridiculed. Some people only get one vacation year and having one bad experience is bad enough. I would of imagined every DVC members wants and expects every experience to be magical. Everyone has there own idea of a dream vacation. Somethings are very important to others and others roll with it. Every family is different and have different wants and needs.

I also do not believe you need to go more than one time to have the privilege of noting a negative experience. Putting DVC asside would you back to any vacation spot if you had a negative experience there? I know I wouldn't. I am self employed and many of times I am not able to get away.I have not been to OKW yet and I am not saying I would not go, but I will be certainly looking to see how many negative experiences folks are writing in about. Perhaps it was the time of year etc. Whatever the case is Douglass did not have a good experience. I cannot believe this thread is still going.

Well said PC and THEO!! I do agree with you both.. If I was to be able to go on vacation just 1 time a year then the neg factors also play into the all over experience. I would just choose better the next time around and when I felt as thou the positive feed back was coming:love: around again I may consider this resort in the distant future and not to say "I may never stay there." I do think that OKW is in need of some future updates and more reliable bus transportation hopefully we can expect that and look foward to some postitve changes in the near future.:cool2: :cheer2:

Maybe it would have maybe it wouldn't have. Who is to speculate. The point is there experience was not magical. I came back on the 4th. I have a four year old and an Autistic 9 year old. I had some set backs at the SSR. Maid service issues and a 6pm check in. It was tough and very stressful to have a late check in but we rolled with it. Other than that we had a great time but if I didn't would you come back and say that I did not have a good time because I have a special needs child and a toddler traveling on the 4th was not a good idea. July 4th is one of the most vacationed days of the year. Bottom line again his vacation was not magical whether it is the 4th or any other day of the year!!!! The 4th should be no exception.

Well said!! Kodos to you and your family for braving the July 4th holiday at WDW!! I also have autistic family member and I do know how stressful it can be for you.. I hope you were treated well and your 9yr old and 4 yr old had a good time considering the set backs with the check in and the room.:rolleyes:

snip....

Bottom line again his vacation was not magical whether it is the 4th or any other day of the year!!!! The 4th should be no exception.

As I said in one of my previous posts (one that perhaps you consider to be one of the character assisination posts), I have NO PROBLEM understanding and accepting that the OP had a less than pleasant stay at OKW. I don't think anyone here does...as Calypso said, if he came and expressed his opinions in a different way, I think many would have said, "Gee, sorry to hear that happened...but don't give up on DVC."

However, he came here ranting and raving and made his focus not that he had a horrible time, but that "OKW is a horrible resort". This statement was considered incredibly rude by many here.

Obviously I can't and won't speak for everyone here, however many on the DVC boards post here because DVC is our hobby--we are not just timeshare owners, but we love discussing and debating every possible in and out of our DVC ownership. So when someone comes here and very rudely dumps on something that we love, there is going to be backlash.

I hope this helps explain why the OP received the comments he did. He began with a flame...a massive one...and he received some in return. Is it childish? Perhaps. But again, he was very rude about something that many people here love dearly. As is human nature, people got defensive.

Respectfully, I assume that you have gotten defensive yourself over and issue or two...right? We ALL have. Again, it is human nature when something we love gets trashed or debased.

Peace. :goodvibes

:surfweb: Most true statement I've seen on this thread to date. Thank you Slakk.

And as another PP stated in this same thread , some of us aren't on the approved negative opinion list as of to date.

:confused3 Guess that comes when you get over 5,000 posts.....

JMHO
~DW:3dglasses

Your quote should end all discussions! Hands down Slakk!!! I agree the most true statement I have heard since I started with these boards!!

Well said!! Kodos to you and your family for braving the July 4th holiday at WDW!! I also have autistic family member and I do know how stressful it can be for you.. I hope you were treated well and your 9yr old and 4 yr old had a good time considering the set backs with the check in and the room.:rolleyes:

Thank you for your kind words. WE had a great time with those two exceptions and an incident at the pool. (not worth mentioning, ignorance by others and nothing to do with SSR). I did not mention anything about my situation or experiences until now. I was more taken back by people that slammed poor Douglas for only telling his story. I only hope I can continue to use these disboards as a tool. After seeing some of these threads, I wonder how many people are worried about how they will be ridiculed if they post. I promise I will not!

As I said in one of my previous posts (one that perhaps you consider to be one of the character assisination posts), I have NO PROBLEM understanding and accepting that the OP had a less than pleasant stay at OKW. I don't think anyone here does...as Calypso said, if he came and expressed his opinions in a different way, I think many would have said, "Gee, sorry to hear that happened...but don't give up on DVC."

However, he came here ranting and raving and made his focus not that he had a horrible time, but that "OKW is a horrible resort". This statement was considered incredibly rude by many here.

Obviously I can't and won't speak for everyone here, however many on the DVC boards post here because DVC is our hobby--we are not just timeshare owners, but we love discussing and debating every possible in and out of our DVC ownership. So when someone comes here and very rudely dumps on something that we love, there is going to be backlash.

I hope this helps explain why the OP received the comments he did. He began with a flame...a massive one...and he received some in return. Is it childish? Perhaps. But again, he was very rude about something that many people here love dearly. As is human nature, people got defensive.

Respectfully, I assume that you have gotten defensive yourself over and issue or two...right? We ALL have. Again, it is human nature when something we love gets trashed or debased.

Peace. :goodvibes

Well again we are all here just to voice our thoughts.. The OP was just venting and offering a voice to all that have not been to OKW so I am just taking it all in. PC I agree with you hands down on every great and well thought out opinion you have stated as well as others. Lets just remember we are all just here to take in the info and form our own judgment call as we all can take the info that has been provided and make a well informed decision about our future plans for vacations.:cool2:

Peace. :goodvibes[/QUOT
Thanks for your reply. I agree. But he was extremely upset. We do not know his circumstances. I believe more diplomacy needs to be used on these boards. As you know I am new and I cannot understand why there is so much anger and aggression. It is embarrassing! We would all love to hear that all the experiences were stellar, but when there not people do not want to hear them. I wonder why? It will only make Disney that much more magical.
When I was checking out at SSR a CM was talking to another member and I heard her reply if you do not tell us we can't change it! Am I out of th box hear? Thanks again!:

Well again we are all here just to voice our thoughts.. snip

Absolutely...that is exactly what these forums are about. However, there is a difference between voicing a thought and yelling and screaming (as in all caps and all of the exclamation points, etc.) and flaming. The OP knew that this was an inflammatory post...the title alone shows that. Why he needed to begin on a hostile note is beyond me.

I will totally defend anyone's right to post an opinion--good or bad. In fact, I like reading the less-than-rave reviews so that I can really learn things from both perspectives. But again, it is not difficult to post a negative opinion about something without being hostile, but the OP chose another route.

Though it seems that, finally, this thread is coming to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter