I am depressed

goofydad621

DIS Veteran
Sorry this is just a rant.

Right now this should be morning 2 waking up at the SSR, then tomorrow morning we should be checking in for 5 nights at Villas @WL for another 5 nights as new owners, But last Oct. my wife got laid off and we had to cancel everything. To keep things in proper perspective, our kids are healthy, we need to be concerned with being able to pay the mortgage first. But I can't help sitting here looking out my window at the snow, 18° temperature and still wanting to be on vacation. I love Disney and am beginning to HATE winter....lol

Okay rant switch turned off, time to get off my pity pot and get on with life.

Thank you everybody here on these boards I figured there were people here that could understand.

I'm so sorry. I know I would be really upset too, if that happened to me. I hope things turn around for you soon, and you are able to reschedule. Even if you have to downsize the trip a little, (we've had to do that before) it'll still be a Disney trip!

Have a magical day!:wizard:

Crazy Kanga said:
I'm so sorry. I know I would be really upset too, if that happened to me. I hope things turn around for you soon, and you are able to reschedule. Even if you have to downsize the trip a little, (we've had to do that before) it'll still be a Disney trip!

Have a magical day!:wizard:

Thanks Kanga

As soon as my wife gets a job we are gone, may have to put off buying inot he DVC but that is fine.
It won't take much to go, Our airfare is paid for, my wife and I each have 8 days left on a park ticket Sooooooo hotel, ticket for 8 year old and food and we are gone

I feel for you goofydad621. When life gets in the way of our plans it is ok to be depressed over it even when we are still relatively lucky in life.(as far as kids, home, health and safety)

Maybe you could plan a cheaper trip; watch the airfares and get a room at one of the value resorts. Go for a couple of days rather than a week and go during value season. Or start planning that same trip in the future ~ maybe next summer. At least some of the disapointment will be gone knowing that you will get there eventually.

Chin up ~ we all understand here. :flower3:

We're in exactly the same boat! Good luck to your wife that she finds another job easily! What helped me cope when my DH got laid off and we had to cancel, was I tried to think of all of the "downsides" of a Disney trip. We had scheduled for December, and I kept telling myself how expensive the airline tickets were, how crowded it would be, how the weather would be bad, etc. I don't know if any of these things were true for the people who went in December; it was just to help me feel better about it. In the end, my 18 year old Ds ended up with a huge group project research paper and presentation to do over the break, we were able to have my in-laws come and visit for what ended up being the best visit ever with them, my husband got to enjoy the bowl games with his Dad, and take him to the NFL Football Hall of Fame in Akron, which they had been unable to do on a previous trip. Anyway, try my technique, instead of thinking of how wonderful it would have been. It worked for me, and I'm a total Disneyphile! :flower:

I'm sorry about your trip and your wife's job :hug:

I'd be disappointed too, but it's only a temporary setback. She'll have another job soon and then your trip will seem all the sweeter.

Sending some pixie dust your way in hopes that things turn around very soon for you and your family :wizard:

I am so sorry. I know how I would feel. Even if you have to stay offsite and pay a lower hotel rate like Howard Johnson Maingate East or something like that maybe you could go soon. I've done that. It's not that bad. It beats not going at all. Good luck to you!!

Noticed you are in NH, so we are both looking out the window at miserably cold temps (it was a mere 5 degrees when I got up, but at least that was ABOVE zero :eek: ).

So sorry to hear of your situation, but you seem to have it in perspective. Money is very tight for us right now, too, but we are all healthy and I really have nothing to complain about. :goodvibes We are planning a trip to WDW in the fall, but in all honesty it may or may not happen! Depends on jobs, money, and paying that pesky mortgage!! lol!! So, you are not alone. In the meantime, keep your chin up, pore over some guide books and visit the DIS boards often (for a real boost, I find the picture and video boards - link at the very top - are great to put you "there!").

LegoMom3 said:
Noticed you are in NH, so we are both looking out the window at miserably cold temps (it was a mere 5 degrees when I got up, but at least that was ABOVE zero :eek: ).

Hey me too. I feel your pain as we usually go away somewhere warm every January and this year we are not. It is hard and you are ok in feeling the way you do. Things will turn around for you and you will get that trip. Good luck and just think we won't have to shovel until at least Monday. :cool2:

goofydad621 said:
Sorry this is just a rant.

Right now this should be morning 2 waking up at the SSR, then tomorrow morning we should be checking in for 5 nights at Villas @WL for another 5 nights as new owners, But last Oct. my wife got laid off and we had to cancel everything. To keep things in proper perspective, our kids are healthy, we need to be concerned with being able to pay the mortgage first. But I can't help sitting here looking out my window at the snow, 18° temperature and still wanting to be on vacation. I love Disney and am beginning to HATE winter....lol

Okay rant switch turned off, time to get off my pity pot and get on with life.

Thank you everybody here on these boards I figured there were people here that could understand.

Try to keep your chin up. I know that is hard. I felt so bad for you when I read your post that if I were rich (not even close though lol) I probably would have paid for it myself. Remember though going through stuff like this is all what makes us who we are and better people (I know, sorry; I hate hearing stuff like that when I am depressed, but it is true)

A good friend of mine told me when my hubby got laid off "Don't spend so much time staring at the closed door in front of you that you neglect to see the open window behind you." That is so true. Try to hang tough and next time you can make it to Disney you can know you are there a stronger person and you will probably get more out of it.

An idea for you too that may get you there; there is always the combination of yard sales, thrift stores and a very popular auction site we all know about. That is quite a money maker. That is how my parents were able to give us our upcoming trip in June for Christmas this year. :flower3:

I feel your pain. We ar just trying to cut down our debt and logically I know we should not go this year. But then DH says but the kids are only this age once....blah blah blah.... I don't know what to do. I think I will end up not doing the trip either even though I am the disney freak in my family. I know I can get us a vacation at a beach for about 1/3 the price we would end up spending in Disney and I think once we are there the kids would love it anyway. Oh I don't know what to do. :confused3 Your strength in being financially logical is helping me. Big hug :hug:

I am sorry to hear about your situation but dont think you are alone lone. Just a brief statement about my life. In 2003 dh and i lost our house and i was laid off with only one income. Last summer had a brief health scare which turned out to be nothing. Later last year i got a job in oct 2005 and two things kept me hoping one was prayer and the other was staying in hope that one day we were taking our kids to WDW. We are working on doing that this summer. Keep your wife motivated that everything is going to be ok and PRAY PRAY PRAY. Everything will work out for you just hang in there. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter