Husband's employee fell for an online scam - is there anything she can do?

jaybirdsmommy

DIS Veteran
So, for some reason whenever my husband's employees get into trouble they run to him for help. I have no idea what to do with this one.

This woman fell for a Facebook romance scam. Scammer said he was depositing $2000 into her bank account, could she send him $1700 bitcoin via Cashapp to help with some emergency. Of course, there was no $2000 and now she owes the bank $1700. Bitcoin is not reversible, Cashapp can't help because it was sent using Bitcoin. Her bank is threatening her, she doesn't have the money and no way to get it (she and her roommate were in a bad wreck 6 weeks ago, they have no car, no income since they can't get to a job, medical bills piled up, etc).

My instincts are to tell her to just let the bank do what they are going to do. She has no assets, nothing they can seize or put a lien on. The worst they can do is garnish her wages if she is able to start working again, right? She wants to get a lawyer, file bankruptcy, etc but I think that's going to cost her at least as much if not more than she already owes.

Anyone dealt with this and have any suggestions? I hate these scammers, they prey on the most vulnerable people.

So, for some reason whenever my husband's employees get into trouble they run to him for help. I have no idea what to do with this one.

This woman fell for a Facebook romance scam. Scammer said he was depositing $2000 into her bank account, could she send him $1700 bitcoin via Cashapp to help with some emergency. Of course, there was no $2000 and now she owes the bank $1700. Bitcoin is not reversible, Cashapp can't help because it was sent using Bitcoin. Her bank is threatening her, she doesn't have the money and no way to get it (she and her roommate were in a bad wreck 6 weeks ago, they have no car, no income since they can't get to a job, medical bills piled up, etc).

My instincts are to tell her to just let the bank do what they are going to do. She has no assets, nothing they can seize or put a lien on. The worst they can do is garnish her wages if she is able to start working again, right? She wants to get a lawyer, file bankruptcy, etc but I think that's going to cost her at least as much if not more than she already owes.

Anyone dealt with this and have any suggestions? I hate these scammers, they prey on the most vulnerable people.
If she has documentation to show she was defrauded she should provide copies to her bank and contact the State Banking Commission to see what her rights are in this situation. The Attorney General in her state may open an investigation if she tries to file a complaint online. Her local Police Dept maybe able to provide her with a Police Report to provide the bank. Technically it is a crime - Grand Larceny but the chances of recovering any money are slim to none. My state has a Crime Victim Board that sometimes is able to provide some compensation so filing a Police Report to legitimize her claim may be important. Sorry this happened.

If she has documentation to show she was defrauded she should provide copies to her bank and contact the State Banking Commission to see what her rights are in this situation. The Attorney General in her state may open an investigation if she tries to file a complaint online. Her local Police Dept maybe able to provide her with a Police Report to provide the bank. Technically it is a crime - Grand Larceny but the chances of recovering any money are slim to none. My state has a Crime Victim Board that sometimes is able to provide some compensation so filing a Police Report to legitimize her claim may be important. Sorry this happened.
Thanks, I'm not sure what documentation she has other than the cashapp transaction record. I'll tell her to try filing a police report and see if that might help with the bank. Sad thing is, she still isn't 100% convinced she was scammed. She doesn't want the lawyer to try to get her money back, she just wants them to make the bank stop calling her.

She needs help from a lawyer, even if all she wants is for the bank to stop harassing her, and to ensure that this debt (and impact on her credit score, and ability to borrow money in the future) doesn't follow her forever. The bank and the collections agencies won't listen to her: they will listen to an attorney. (And as a previous poster said, she should be filing a police report. Even if they can't catch the criminal, it will start a paper trail of public records attesting to her side of the story.)

If she's indigent, there should be some local Volunteer Legal Services organization that can assist her for free. If she doesn't know where or how to find them, she should call the local Bar Association and ask.

Last edited:

This may be part of the reason...I have family that will ask for help expecting you to get them the solutions. It's always nice to help others out, but not to the point where they are dependent on you for everything...just saying. Best of luck to her in recovering some of her funds and hopefully this is lessened learned to not give strangers on the internet money.

She absolutely must not declare bankruptcy for a sum as small as $1700.00 She should report this to the police, but as far as hiring a lawyer etc... you're right, that's going to cost her more than she owes.

She should contact the bank, explain the situation and agree on a repayment schedule. If they refuse, she should open a new account somewhere else for her daily banking (because her current bank will just automatically seize any funds deposited if they don't agree to a payment schedule) and once they send her debt to a collection agency, she can make a payment schedule with them.

Will this cause a ding on her credit report? Yes, absolutely, but nowhere near as dire as bankruptcy would.

Sad thing is, she still isn't 100% convinced she was scammed. She doesn't want the lawyer to try to get her money back, she just wants them to make the bank stop calling her.

So does she still think this scammer (online beau or whatever she calls him) is legit?

Have her look up Legal Aid in your state. They have lawyers who may be able to help advise her, but if she refuses the advice of admitting the scam there isn't much anybody can do. She's on the hook for borrowing the money to buy the bitcoin. Bankruptcy is not the answer.

In the future...I recommend your husband NOT get involved with his employees problems. He can offer them time off to deal with it. His (and your) involvement should end there.

I’m sure she went to your husband hoping he’ll pay. My Dh owns a business as well and he’s a very nice guy and his employees know it so they come to him with a variety of financial problems too. As for this poor woman, it sounds like this will just have to be a life lesson for her and she’ll have to start a new account and pay the $1700 off as she can. It’s terrible but she did make an error of judgement and hopefully she learned a lesson from that

Filing for bankruptcy will cost her more than $1700 in lawyers fees.

She needs to open a new bank account elsewhere immediately. Then let whatever happens with her other bank move forward. She can speak to them and work something out or let it go to a debt collector.

Honestly $1700 is small compared to what I’ve seen some of these scammers fool people out of.

Thanks, I'm not sure what documentation she has other than the cashapp transaction record. I'll tell her to try filing a police report and see if that might help with the bank. Sad thing is, she still isn't 100% convinced she was scammed. She doesn't want the lawyer to try to get her money back, she just wants them to make the bank stop calling her.
NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. SO many alarm bells right there. She lives in a fantasyland and doesn’t want to leave- back away. Don’t provide any advice. She is an adult, she made adult decisions and now she needs to live the consequences. And live them without you because the employer part here leaves you open to liability.

Do nothing. You didn't cause this problem, and -- given that she isn't completely convinced that the guy was a scammer -- you almost certainly can't solve it.

Yes, these people prey on the most venerable.
NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. SO many alarm bells right there. She lives in a fantasyland and doesn’t want to leave- back away. Don’t provide any advice. She is an adult, she made adult decisions and now she needs to live the consequences. And live them without you because the employer part here leaves you open to liability.
Sad, but this is good advice. Your husband's responsibility is to treat her well at work and pay her fairly. That's it.

Her bank is threatening her, she doesn't have the money and no way to get it (she and her roommate were in a bad wreck 6 weeks ago, they have no car, no income since they can't get to a job, medical bills piled up, etc).

She sounds very, very unstable and living in a world where she believes others will sort out and pay for the problems she creates. You say she is basically broke but had no problem sending a complete stranger $1700.00 of the bank's money that she borrowed. After the $2000 never showed up in her account (surely the excuses must be coming in fast and furious in the hopes of getting more money out of her) she does not want to go after her "romantic interest" to recover the money but wants the big, bad bank to basically gift her the money and stop bothering her for repayment. You cannot make this stuff up!

Stay away from her personal problems and hope she does not come back to work for your dh. This woman does not want any advice on how to better her situation just someone to bail her out until the next time. I guarantee you when she came crying to your dh she had hopes that he would help pay her debt. She created the debt and unless she cops out and declares bankruptcy she has to pay for it. How else is there any hope that she will eventually learn that
banks and friends are not her personal piggy banks?

So, what she wants is $1,700. How would you respond to that request?

I may be an old cynic but are you 100% sure they employee is not trying to scam your DH? I see red flags everywhere in this story
I came here to say this.

i.e. If there's pushback from her on holding the scammer accountable coupled with an elaborate story about how no bank, crypto or cash app could be helpful then she might be the scammer and none of it might even be true. Remember screenshots can be created/doctored. Is she looking for an advance on her paycheck or a bail out of some kind either direct or insinuated?

Personally I do not see how a Bank sent Bitcoin without having the funds to pay for it to start. That is just not how banks work. If she took an advance her credit card or a bank loan it is in fact a credit agency that is contacting - some will have in house before using outside- Simple say do not call me anymore they have to stop by law. They will however move to another agency repeat above.... She got scammed "maybe" she can and must file a police report that is about all she can do. The police will do nothing 1700 is at best petty theft. HOWEVER as others have stated offering any advice of ANYTHING other then that which relates to what the person is hired to do and company rules to an employee will put the company at risk even if the conversation takes place outside of the work place. Rules have changed even employees that go to bar after work on their own can claim.............. and the company has to investigate and discipline the employee. Part of reason you must inform of things such as workplace dating or risk both being terminated should one decide to claim X did.................. Best advice is STAY AWAY and tell them to consult a lawyer, CPA, Police, Parent, Sibling, Relative, phone a friend, search the internet............... I know it is right to offer help but in this case you just cannot. A friend you can.

Personally I do not see how a Bank sent Bitcoin without having the funds to pay for it to start. That is just not how banks work. If she took an advance her credit card or a bank loan it is in fact a credit agency that is contacting - some will have in house before using outside- Simple say do not call me anymore they have to stop by law. They will however move to another agency repeat above.... She got scammed "maybe" she can and must file a police report that is about all she can do. The police will do nothing 1700 is at best petty theft. HOWEVER as others have stated offering any advice of ANYTHING other then that which relates to what the person is hired to do and company rules to an employee will put the company at risk even if the conversation takes place outside of the work place. Rules have changed even employees that go to bar after work on their own can claim.............. and the company has to investigate and discipline the employee. Part of reason you must inform of things such as workplace dating or risk both being terminated should one decide to claim X did.................. Best advice is STAY AWAY and tell them to consult a lawyer, CPA, Police, Parent, Sibling, Relative, phone a friend, search the internet............... I know it is right to offer help but in this case you just cannot. A friend you can.
I'm assuming it was a variation on the fake check/money order/whatever scam where something is deposited then bounces. My Cashapp definitely won't send money that isn't in my account. The scammer walked her through the whole transaction pretty quickly. He had to tell her step by step how to do it, told her some sob story about being stranded on a business trip.

I came here to say this.

i.e. If there's pushback from her on holding the scammer accountable coupled with an elaborate story about how no bank, crypto or cash app could be helpful then she might be the scammer and none of it might even be true. Remember screenshots can be created/doctored. Is she looking for an advance on her paycheck or a bail out of some kind either direct or insinuated?
I'm the one who walked her through filing a claim with Cashapp and saw their response. The bank is being patient with her but will eventually take action, I'm sure. I believe she was scammed, she's a little slow and her roommate is literally terrified of technology. She isn't capable of doctoring anything to that level. She just keeps saying it has to be a mistake, he loves her, she doesn't understand what happened, etc.

DH isn't going to pay it for her, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else we could tell her to try. I'm just going to stick with what we initially told her - there's nothing she can do, the bank will have to send her to collections. She has nothing for them to take or put a judgement against and most likely never will. Scammers are scum.

So, what she wants is $1,700. How would you respond to that request?

She isn't asking for the money. I'm sure she'd take it if offered but it isn't going to happen and she and her roommate have worked for him long enough to know that. DH has a strict policy about cash advances - you have to have already earned enough that pay cycle to pay it back out of your next check.

Most of his employees he wouldn't get involved with this at all. These are long term, reliable employees that he is fond of. Between the wreck and this they are having a rough time and he feels bad for them.

she's a little slow. She isn't capable of doctoring anything to that level.
And that is exactly why she needs a lawyer. (And probably why the scammer found a victim in her). If she has a lower than average IQ, it could be an argument that will help with the bank or a court case.

Also this probably explains why she would go to your husband, she might not know what to do, but if your husband is a good employer to her, and an authority figure in her life, it makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter