Husband is Legally Blind

Cindy Cooper

Earning My Ears
My husband is legally blind. Has less than 10% vision and has complete night vision (can not see anything in the dark). He does walk with a site cane. We have been to Disney before and have been to many amusement parks. We have two young boys and will have a double stroller. We also have used the DAS pass before.

My question is how much do the cast members know about visually impaired people??

It is helpful to use handicap entrances because stairs and dark places are VERY difficult!! But we are usually turned down. Being in the middle for shows is helpful, not up front! Where can we sit to view parades?

We have had a few instances at Disney World when people don't realize that his disabled and needs help, even with the site cane. One lady thought he couldn't hear?? One wouldn't let us board the train early and we have been just passed over! It is very frustrating. My husband doesn't see people's reactions but I do! It seems like ECV's and wheelchairs get high priority while my husband's disability is just overlooked!

We have had many Cast members who are helpful especially when they see me pushing a double stroller, and my husband is holding on to the side using his cane.

Any suggestions??

What CMs know about the visually impaired? Probably not a whole lot unless they personally know a person with a visual impairment. I suspect when most people hear "visually impaired" the first assumption is blind with no sight at all. It's just a misconception but might be worth educating people that he can see light, or shadows, or needs x-y-z. If middle seating is better than front, tell the CMs. Each person can be different with regards to needs. While your DH might prefer middle of the theater for seating, others request front row, so you just need to explain what you need to make the situation best for your party.

Since most queues at WDW are "mainstreamed" meaning they are designed to be wheelchair accessible, there really aren't many "handicap entrances" at the majority of attractions. You certainly can request to avoid stairs if that is a challenge, and you do that by mentioning the need to the CM when you first enter the queue and again to any CM you meet along the way. But at most you'll begin in the regular (standby or FP+) queue and be pulled aside at a break-off point just before the stairs. Since you are familiar with WDW, at the queues you have found most challenging -- be that stairs or dark or what -- be proactive in explaining the need to the CM before entering the queue.

There really isn't advanced entry or boarding at attractions. I'm not really sure about the train at MK; we've always had to wait our turn in the queue, even with a stroller tagged as wheelchair but that may be because DD can transfer rather than needing to remain in it for the train ride. If it seems there isn't seating appropriate for his needs, you can wait for the next train.

In traveling to/from resorts, those in wheelchairs and ECVs must board the buses first for the safety of other passengers. If you feel it's important for his safety to board a bus early you could certainly ask the driver for an accommodation. Otherwise if you want a seat and the bus is standing room only, just step aside and wait for the next bus. We do that often.

Unfortunately, the general public may be uninformed, mis-informed, or simply ignorant and uncaring at times. I try not to focus on the negatives and instead appreciate the positive responses such as those you mentioned - CMs who have offered additional help or maybe pixie dust.

Enjoy your vacation!

I will just say as fair as CM goes I think it is the luck of the draw I have had a few CM that were beyond in credible at accommodating my Disability ( and mine is hidden) and some that are just ok

here is what I do when I am going to do something that I will need some type of accommodation for I will either talk to the CM at the front before getting in and see if they can accommodate me and what I need to do. There have been sometimes they can not but for the most part they can. or I will sometimes write down what I need on my phone ( sometimes I can not verbalize what I need)

as fair as avoiding stars goes all you really should have to do is say he can not do stars when you come across them.

for the parade there is a disability place where you can watch the parade from but it is really meant for people in wheel chair ECV and I find it a really bad spot in the sun no where to site I would go where the parade starts and walk down the street some infant of the river are big planters that you can sit on some are very close to the front ( let you kids stay infant of you in the stroller or just park the stroller in front of you so no one can sit there) and watch it from there. depending on the time of year you go you do not have to get there supper early maybe 45 minute. you can use this time for a snack rest

One of the things going on here, I think, is your misconception of accessibility. From the perspective of someone who travels with a wheelchair user- accessibility doesn't mean separate entrance or convenience or first served. It means that they can access the site at all- and in way that is safe for both them and those surrounding them.

Your husband can stand in line, he can sit in any seat on the bus. So in that sense, he will be treated like the able bodied (because he is able bodied). As mentioned above, if steps are a problem, he can ask to use the accessible bits- like an elevator.

But I do understand your frustration. I've limited eyesight but I'm lucky in the sense that it can be corrected. I can't imagine navigating a crowded place like Disney with my natural sight. I occasionally travel with a friend who has become completely night blind and he is very intimidated by the dark queues as he can't see rubbish or even if there was a body blocking his way. So sometimes all you can do is be proactive- use that stroller and yourself as a barrier between him and potential problems, like people who don't notice the cane. Lots of people just walk right out in front of Ecvs or drive ecvs and strollers right into pedestrians, so I can believe that even more don't notice his cane.

Your husband can stand in line, he can sit in any seat on the bus.

He can sit, but boarding early would help him because he doesn't have to maneuver through people and their feet to find his path, I imagine. Same with the train, most likely.

It is helpful to use handicap entrances because stairs and dark places are VERY difficult!! But we are usually turned down. ....

We have had a few instances at Disney World when people don't realize that his disabled and needs help, even with the site cane.

Who is turning you down? The people giving the DAS or the CMs at the entrances?

I merely have decreased vision in the dark thanks to LASIK, and those dark lines are just beasts. I generally have to hold on to the shirt of someone in my party. I have great empathy for your husband!

I think it's unlikely the DAS is turning her down. It sounds like a passerby/ride cm issue.The CMs may just not know how to help them. OP, you're the best advocate. I struggle to help my friend because I'm not sure what he can actually see or not see (condition is worsening). So just be very clear on what help he needs, whether that is someone guiding him vocally or an arm to hold.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and responses. It is very difficult and thank you for the compassion.

Many people have been tripped by his cane because they do not notice it and it is not my husband's fault. Besides the dark queue lines he can't see anything under his nose so strollers, little kids & curbs are not our friend.

We do enjoy getting out and experiencing Disney especially through the eyes of our children so that is why we go as a family and struggle through all the hard times to give all children the joys of Disney and so my husband can see their reaction and experience it now! (Probably in about 5-10 years he will not be able to see anything so we are trying to do as much now as we possibly can).

as fair as people not seeing your DH cane I saw a CM that had a picker ( I know very different) but they had little lights on it and had them on at night can you do something similar ( It was a few years since I was with my friend with a cane) but Maybe the Christmas light or glow stick so other would be more lily to see it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter