Husband is a party pooper...

I would also recommend that if you're not doing it already, learn to drive and tow, hitch and unhitch, back, hook up, and dump your camper. I think that all people traveling with partners should both know how to do everything, especially in an emergency situation...or even non-emergency but discomfort or illness.

The bonus is that it is a lot more fun and equal and less fatiguing, and if you can do everything yourself you have a more equal say in where you go (and you have a better feel for making plans and knowing ideal setups and locations and stuff). The extra double bonus is that you can then take the camper out by yourself, say on a lovely girls weekend with good wine, good food, and no whining or wondering where their socks are at...ahhh, give me a moment to ponder and daydream... ;)

I think that all people traveling with partners should both know how to do everything, especially in an emergency situation...
Oh, how I wish the DW would do this. I have made several attempts to get her to learn. She hates driving my truck without anything attached, much less tow something. I've asked what she would do if something happened to me while we were camping. Her response was leave everything where it was. If I was dead, pay someone else to take it all.

Thought that was a bit harsh, but Rv'ing is certainly more my thing than hers. She likes to travel places and see things. The camper just makes it cheaper to stay... Beyond that, she could care less if we camped.

j

Leveling a camper at the Fort is probably the easiest thing there is. Those sites are dang near perfect already, never had to do much at all to get perfectly level.

I like pulling my 35 footer, reminds me of my CDL days going cross country before I finished nursing school. I usually drive at night, easier on the eyes, easier in and out at fuel stops, and less traffic.

I agree that both should be able to drive, but my wife wants no part of it. She is nervous enough driving the 4-Runner, much less the f-250 and 35 foot bumper pull.

Thank you all. I am going to start reading everything to him.

What he means by too much work is exactly what Flametamr said. Having to pull this bad boy from Texas to FL. We have stayed at KOA's on the way home from NC last year (which is where we bought the camper). That was a lot of fun! Took us 3 days to get home when it normally takes a day and a half. ;) Our oldest boys help with the set up but the pain comes in making sure that the thing is level. Takes forever at some sites and my husband is a perfectionist, won't stop moving until that bubble is centered perfectly. :thumbsup2

We have a 2014 Rockwood Ultra Lite 35'.

It's good that he does have help. The boys will eventually learn to do it with only a little supervision. As far as him being a perfectionist. Let Him. Getting it level is important. I let a little side to side level issue go one time and it's rained a lot that trip. I realized the result of my mistake when water started running in my back slide. And now I have damage that needs repairing. I will never buy another Keystone product because of their seal design flaws but I made it worse not getting it exactly level.

I would further suggest maybe add a break into your trip. Depending on the time of year. There are some wonderful short term camping spots along the way. Maybe drive half way and camp overnight or two days and then continue to Disney. I'm about 600 miles from the Fort. Last time I drove to Ocala FL and stayed overnight and only put the front jack down to stabilize. Then ate watched some movies and then slept. We got up early and drove on in two hours to the Fort. Our site wasn't ready so we parked in overflow and headed to Blizzard Beach. Later in the afternoon I left the family there and caught the bus back and in two hours when they got there I was almost done setting up.

This is easy. $100 on per night on property vs. $500 + per night at some of the deluxe resorts.
I stayed at Poly last year and still found myself spending a quiet day at FW.
Camping at the Fort is great. Nice, clean, shaded sites with great bath houses. Ton of things to do and a variety of nice campers to chat.
Towing long distance can be trying but oh so nice to set up once for 10 day trips.
Good Luck and I hope you convince him:)

This was my argument with DH and he easily agreed it was a good idea!:thumbsup2

I am slowly talking him into it. I haven't read all of the posts to him yet (haven't had the time), but have mentioned a few things here and there. Last night I hinted to him again about staying at the Fort and he, shockingly, replied, "Yeah, maybe" :thumbsup2

We're almost there ;)

Does your DH like Disney? If not, he may be using everything else as an excuse not to go to the Fort.

The journey can be as much fun as the destination ,if you plan it wright. The trip home , that just stinks no mater how you slice it!

We have the same problem except its me who wants to do the driving! I drive a 38' bus for a living and would have no problem going from NJ to Fort Wilderness. Dh thinks its too much. I think it would be a fun adventure, so i guess my dh is a party pooper too!

I would also recommend that if you're not doing it already, learn to drive and tow, hitch and unhitch, back, hook up, and dump your camper. I think that all people traveling with partners should both know how to do everything, especially in an emergency situation...or even non-emergency but discomfort or illness.

Oh, no, no, no!!

I understand the 'shoulds' in case of an emergency, etc. But, I have 'no' desire to drive our Class A, nor did I ever drive the truck with the 5th wheel. I 'did' tow our TT's, but when we left that 'season' of our lives, dh knew, in advance, that it was all his!! :) I take care of the 'inside' - he takes care of the 'outside' and all things maintenance and mechanical. That's our 'working' relationship, and it 'works', with the mh and at home also. ;)

The journey can be as much fun as the destination ,if you plan it wright. The trip home , that just stinks no mater how you slice it!

We are making our trip to the Fort an adventure and decided to take 2 days driving down and then 2 driving back just to check out a couple other campgrounds along the way! :)

We always break up the trip into two days. It is 17-18 hours "road time" to get from home to FW, and just cannot do it in one day. Even if Caren did tow, she is not as used to it and admited would probably only be able to do 3-6 hours max depending on the weather. I am more used to driving big vehicles and the trip is pretty easy for me.

The campgrounds are so romantic, my husband and I slip away for a weekend at the fort without our adult kids and grandchild. We cuddle up, sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast. The grounds themselves are made for a peaceful romantic interlude. You have beautiful trails to walk and hold hands. Great restaurants that are perfect for a couple (Artist Point). I really can't explain the sense of peace and contentment that just settles in when you get there. Sitting on the beach, star gazing, wow I could go on & on, but I am sure you get the idea. It is wonderful for reconnecting and recharging a relationship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter