• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Husband Broke his foot 12 days before our trip!

lindabacker

Mouseketeer
Ok so I am mad. My husband was running the mile and a half for his PRT test ( he's Navy) and he broke his foot!!!! We leave in 12 days. He has a walking cast but is not supposed to do any prolonged walking or standing. What should I do??? If I rent him a wheelchair or scooter, he will still need to be able to stand in the long lines, I am assuming. Any advise is greatly appreciated. My 2 kids 7 and 2 will be with up so I will have a stroller for the 2 year old and my granmother who is 83 will be there some days with us in a wheel chair but she doesn't ride rides. I am just so angry that all my well laid plans are going down like this. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

lindabacker said:
Ok so I am mad. My husband was running the mile and a half for his PRT test ( he's Navy) and he broke his foot!!!! We leave in 12 days. He has a walking cast but is not supposed to do any prolonged walking or standing. What should I do??? If I rent him a wheelchair or scooter, he will still need to be able to stand in the long lines, I am assuming. Any advise is greatly appreciated. My 2 kids 7 and 2 will be with up so I will have a stroller for the 2 year old and my granmother who is 83 will be there some days with us in a wheel chair but she doesn't ride rides. I am just so angry that all my well laid plans are going down like this. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Wheelchairs and scooters can go through the majority of the lines for the attractions at WDW. Those lines that aren't mainstreamed have an alternate entrance that the person can use. I would recommend the scooter because it allows him to have control over when/where he goes, he doesn't have to worry about someone pushing him while you're trying to deal with a stroller.

There are places to rent off site that will allow you to have the wheelchair/scooter at other places besides the parks, so if you're planning on spending time at DTD or wherever, that might come in handy.

Hope that helps, some!

Figment1964 said:
Wheelchairs and scooters can go through the majority of the lines for the attractions at WDW. Those lines that aren't mainstreamed have an alternate entrance that the person can use. I would recommend the scooter because it allows him to have control over when/where he goes, he doesn't have to worry about someone pushing him while you're trying to deal with a stroller.

There are places to rent off site that will allow you to have the wheelchair/scooter at other places besides the parks, so if you're planning on spending time at DTD or wherever, that might come in handy.

Hope that helps, some!
::yes::
A scooter would also keep you from having to push him, so that you can push the stroller. You will need to carry the 2 year old while you wait in lines. If you have a carrier (like a sling or similar) for the 2 yr old, that would help a lot.
One thing you will sometimes see is someone carrying a toddler on their lap on an ecv. Even though some people do it, it's very unsafe. I have seen ecvs go out of control when the toddler is doing normal toddler things and hits the controller or the adults hands (like grabbing, touching Daddy's hand to get attention, or pointing at something).

If you haven't looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find some helpful info there; including off-site places to rent ECVs/wheelchairs and a link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. You will find a list there of the Mainstream lines that Figment 1964 mentioned.

were in the park 4 days son 29 broke foot how much to rent wheel chair or scooter? do you rent one in each park?

huckster said:
were in the park 4 days son 29 broke foot how much to rent wheel chair or scooter? do you rent one in each park?
The prices for renting are
here, in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
There is also information in that thead about renting from one of the off-site medical rental places and borrowing wheelchairs from the WDW resorts.
If you absolutely need an ECV or wheelchair, or you need specific equipment like a crutch holder or elevating footrests, then renting from one of the off-site companies is the only way to go.
The wheelchairs/ecvs at the parks are limited quantity and can't be reserved ahead of time. If you rent at one park, you leave the wheelchair or ecv at that park when you leave. You can show your receipt at the next park you get to another if there are any available - no guarantee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter