• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane watch 2018

Today, I was able to reschedule my DVC stay next week for next month. But was told that if I need to just cancel, I could without penalty and my points would be reinstated. Then, did a preliminary online price check on SWA for the revised Oct plans and found the trip would be an additional $80. However when I made the change online, I believe SWA, as a courtesy, and to my surprise allowed for an even exchange... Then I called WDW to cancel my nonrefundable food & wine seminar clinics and they processed a full refund on all the events I booked after I explained my situation. Disney and Southwest were very accommodating.

Have been catching up on the thread & on the weather forecasts..

So much new info.. storm is now 500 miles wide - something for those driving through NC/SC/Virginia to be mindful of when route planning. Evacuations start at noon tomorrow in many areas - highways to become one direction only in some areas. Reports of gas stations already out of gasoline in some areas as evacuee’s prepare to get out.

Best advice I’ve seen so far - add portable charging devices for electronics/cell phones to emergency kits, & be sure cell phones & back up chargers are fully charged and ready to go as the power goes out. Five power plants in NC are in the storm path, power could be out for an extended period in a worst case scenario. If traveling get a car charger/pack your car charger for your phone, We charged our phones in our cars off their batteries during the ice storm here a few years ago when we were without power for 3 days.

If you must pass through this area, stay vigilant & be safe...

I am so heartsick for those of you in the path. I don’t have a darn thing to offer except my love and hopes for a miracle.

We finally committed to leaving Wednesday, rather than Friday. I couldn’t book hotel until I figured out additional childcare complexities and there was a couple DVC options alll day long, as I checked compulsively...until the minute I was finally cleared to book and then everything was gone. Oh well. I booked POFQ for those two nights at a decent rate.

I am so heartsick for those of you in the path. I don’t have a darn thing to offer except my love and hopes for a miracle.

We finally committed to leaving Wednesday, rather than Friday. I couldn’t book hotel until I figured out additional childcare complexities and there was a couple DVC options alll day long, as I checked compulsively...until the minute I was finally cleared to book and then everything was gone. Oh well. I booked POFQ for those two nights at a decent rate.
Driving or flying, Jenjersnap?

Well said! Praying for a miracle here too.

On the vacation front, us too! We’re staying at POFQ Thurs night; leaving Wed afternoon but staying at an airport hotel that night.

Well said! Praying for a miracle here too.

On the vacation front, us too! We’re staying at POFQ Thurs night; leaving Wed afternoon but staying at an airport hotel that night.

So funny - I feel like we should bump into each other! We have lots of the same plans, I gather, from posts on various itinerary threads. :)

Safe travels to you and everyone!

Best advice I’ve seen so far - add portable charging devices for electronics/cell phones to emergency kits, & be sure cell phones & back up chargers are fully charged and ready to go as the power goes out. Five power plants in NC are in the storm path, power could be out for an extended period in a worst case scenario. If traveling get a car charger/pack your car charger for your phone, We charged our phones in our cars off their batteries during the ice storm here a few years ago when we were without power for 3 days..

During and after Irma our closest cell tower sustained damage so we would go for hours without being able to connect. We were very thankful that I hadn’t cut the landline yet. Made it hard to work from home, that’s for sure. So just because your device is charged doesn’t mean it will be fully functional.

They also sell electric outlet adapters that you plug in the car, which can be handy to have as well.

Today, I was able to reschedule my DVC stay next week for next month. But was told that if I need to just cancel, I could without penalty and my points would be reinstated. Then, did a preliminary online price check on SWA for the revised Oct plans and found the trip would be an additional $80. However when I made the change online, I believe SWA, as a courtesy, and to my surprise allowed for an even exchange... Then I called WDW to cancel my nonrefundable food & wine seminar clinics and they processed a full refund on all the events I booked after I explained my situation. Disney and Southwest were very accommodating.
VERY HAPPY to hear that DVC and Southwest worked with you so well!:goodvibes::yes::

I have the SWA app. A few clicks and it was done! I plan to call tomorrow and talk to the CM that helped me before yesterday. He is off Mon and Tues. My reservation has been changed but my room isnt correct. I paid for a preferred and got a standard. Looking at the storm today it looks like SC and GA are in trouble. But we will see.

I am so torn about what to do. I'm not supposed to fly down from DC until this weekend, so I don't know if I should chance the storm staying on it's current track and keep my plans, or head down earlier this week just to get down there and avoid any possible delays or cancellations. Such a hard choice!

I have zero experience with hurricanes - we are supposed to be driving to FL from OH on Friday - will the biggest part of it be over by then for the east coast? Any reference sites you could post would be great. Thanks and safe travels to everyone!

No it is suppose to make land fall Thur night into Fri. If you are driving pack supplies food water flash light ect. And stop often for gas. Gas pumps in Georgia yesterday had long lines and empty pumps. The shelves were bare in stores as well. I would leave Wed afternoon. Driving Friday in torrential rains will no be fun. You will encounter a lot more traffic as folks evaucate Most of the east coast will get as much as 20 inches of rain. The bad rain will be as far in land as West Virginia

I am so torn about what to do. I'm not supposed to fly down from DC until this weekend, so I don't know if I should chance the storm staying on it's current track and keep my plans, or head down earlier this week just to get down there and avoid any possible delays or cancellations. Such a hard choice!

We’re in a similar position- we have a flight from Philadelphia to MCO Thursday morning. From the latest info, it seems like we should be okay avoiding tropical storm force winds on our flight as scheduled, but I really have no idea what to expect. AA is only being flexible for flights in/out of directly affected airports, not flights that might be through or adjacent to affected areas.

I have zero experience with hurricanes - we are supposed to be driving to FL from OH on Friday - will the biggest part of it be over by then for the east coast? Any reference sites you could post would be great. Thanks and safe travels to everyone!

Nope! Right in the middle of it unfortunately! We are in Raleigh - direct path - stores are emptying, some gas stations low or out of gas. Thurs, through weekend (or after) probably not good days here.
Don't plan on being able to gas up on way down anywhere near the coast. Hotels filling up, not to mention the torrential rain totals that we will probably see here. Lots of roads will be impassible, etc. etc. etc.

I am from Ohio as well. If you drive I would suggest going a round about way to get to Florida. I would do more of a "C" shape travel heading west. it will take longer but you would be more out of the path. I would think doing this you will still have some yucky driving since this storm is so big. I would avoid 77 south.

Nope! Right in the middle of it unfortunately! We are in Raleigh - direct path - stores are emptying, some gas stations low or out of gas. Thurs, through weekend (or after) probably not good days here.
Don't plan on being able to gas up on way down anywhere near the coast. Hotels filling up, not to mention the torrential rain totals that we will probably see here. Lots of roads will be impassible, etc. etc. etc.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

I am from Ohio as well. If you drive I would suggest going a round about way to get to Florida. I would do more of a "C" shape travel heading west. it will take longer but you would be more out of the path. I would think doing this you will still have some yucky driving since this storm is so big. I would avoid 77 south.

We are driving from Pennsylvania and leaving very early tomorrow morning. My original plan was to go 81 S. and get on 77 to Charlotte NC and then make my way to 85 toward Atlanta and get off on 441 (before Atlanta) to 75. Our hotel is near Macon. We usually take 77 into Columbia SC where we have family, but I'm thinking I don't want to go in that far. Does the route I'm thinking of taking sound far enough away from the coast?

Is anyone aware of a gas app that shows not only nearby gas stations, but one that shows IF they have gas at all?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter