hurricane season is here

I'm a total storm geek.

I've been checking the NOAA Hurricane site just about every day. I'm certainly not wishing harm to people or property, but for someone who generally hates science I get a kick of watching the storms develop and move across the ocean.

Here's the site in case anyone is interested: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I'm the same way! I starting watching tropical storm development when we first started travelling to Disney at the end of August (5 years ago) and every time things seem to get interesting. Only 1 year did we have a close call when a hurricane was hitting south Florida while I was sitting in the airport in Toronto listening to flight cancellations for Miami and St. Petes 30 minutes before my flight departing. We made it in no problem though! My concern really is only that my flights aren't impacted.

I fly out this Saturday and the not yet developed storm (will be Hermine if it does develop) sitting out there is the only potential issue (Fiona is already done and Gaston is going to be super nasty, but nowhere near land) and even if it does develop and then does track to Florida, it will be a Monday/Tuesday impact. That's a lot of ifs though!

If you like tracking the storms, I recommend Denis Phillips from one of the major news channels in Tamps (I think it's ABC), he has a FB page and the guy does a ton of storm analysis and seems to be spot on a lot of the time.

My favorite for tracking storms is http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/.
We also have gone to Disney during a tropical storm, we had a blast, only one afternoon and evening were a wash out. We went to Disney Springs and watched movies and then played in Disney Quest.

I'm a total storm geek.

I've been checking the NOAA Hurricane site just about every day. I'm certainly not wishing harm to people or property, but for someone who generally hates science I get a kick of watching the storms develop and move across the ocean.

Here's the site in case anyone is interested: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Since your the storm chaser and know weather better than me :) how does my week look next week? I arrive early Mon Aug 29th and leave Thur. I use noaa too here in VA, but I'm not an expert on these tropical storms by any means.

I'm the same way! I starting watching tropical storm development when we first started travelling to Disney at the end of August (5 years ago) and every time things seem to get interesting. Only 1 year did we have a close call when a hurricane was hitting south Florida while I was sitting in the airport in Toronto listening to flight cancellations for Miami and St. Petes 30 minutes before my flight departing. We made it in no problem though! My concern really is only that my flights aren't impacted.

I fly out this Saturday and the not yet developed storm (will be Hermine if it does develop) sitting out there is the only potential issue (Fiona is already done and Gaston is going to be super nasty, but nowhere near land) and even if it does develop and then does track to Florida, it will be a Monday/Tuesday impact. That's a lot of ifs though!

If you like tracking the storms, I recommend Denis Phillips from one of the major news channels in Tamps (I think it's ABC), he has a FB page and the guy does a ton of storm analysis and seems to be spot on a lot of the time.

OK, I'm following Denis Phillips now for the time being! Thank for the info. My trip is Monday Aug 29th! Fingers crossed!

Yep, I always watch the hurricane updates on the weather channel too

Four or five years ago we stayed in Disney during hurricane Irene, (which made landfall in the Carolina's). We go every august and this wAs the first trip that we didn't get to use the pool - as with all the cloud cover and rain around the eye of the hurricane was there throughout our trip ( except for the last day when it got sunny). It was a lot less humid and breezier than usual.

We left NJ on our way to WDW as Irene was passing through Maryland. Driving through the Carolina's was crazy with uprooted trees on 95 and trying to find gas and Maryland was really windy. But once at WDW it was so calm and peaceful. VERY low crowds, only one short thunderstorm and not extremely hot.

I don't worry too much about the storms. When we were there last year I was watching the weather because they said a hurricane might hit but it took an entirely different path. It did rain but nothing major.

Last year was the driest and hottest trip we've ever had over labor day. The weather forecast said thunderstorms every day. I'd like to be a weatherman in Orlando during the end of summer.

We were there over LD and week after last year also. And you are right, it was so hot and dry compared to previous Sept's. I like a little rain to cool things off and thin the crowds out a bit. Last year, we got so little rain when there.

We've gone to Disney 6 of the last 7 years during peak hurricane season. No problems whatsoever. It's always going to be a gamble, but since Orlando is in central Florida there won't be significant risk of property or bodily harm. Heavy rains and high(ish) winds are the worst of it.

I'm not saying that being at WDW during a hurricane doesn't suck, but it's just how it goes.

Dan

I have been to WDW twice when hurricanes impacted Orlando, and twice when hurricanes hit at home while we were in Orlando. I would much rather deal with a hurricane while at WDW than deal with the clean-up of a hurricane at home again. :worried:

We were there when Jeanne hit (I think 3 hurricanes hit central Florida that year) and we were quarantined to our hotel for the day! Everything opened next day though, and we had the place to ourselves!

So, feel free to look up the amounts of rain the last week of Sept 2014. This wasn't normal "Disney" rain. We had entire days where we basically never took off our ponchos. One day we spent literally 3 hours in Mexico waiting for the skies to clear just enough so there wasn't a foot of flowing water on the sidewalk in Epcot...We'll be returning to Universal for the SAME WEEKEND this year. Apparently we learned nothing. My apologies go out to any of you who's plans my bad luck ruin... I'm predicting a major hurricane for October 2nd. Sigh.

Nifty little tool - thanks Wunderground. Sept 29, 2014 - 2" of rain. Rained from 3-7. It sucked! (and if you look at the rest of the week - it rained for hours, every day - no quick storms for us) https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Last edited:
We have had fairly good luck with weather in early Sept. a few times. One time we were sandwiched between 2 hurricane scares and the parks were a ghost town, and I don't think it rained a drop the entire 10 day trip. Another we had a bit of rain, but nothing awful. As long as my plane can arrive, I'm good. I would prefer to not be stuck in the room, or have days or parties burdened by nonstop rain- but a little hurricane scare always works to my advantage ;)

We have spent 2 of our last 3 DL trips in pouring rain. And we hear it never rains in CA ;) I think it just follows us.

hasn't even formed yet. Until it actually shows up on the NOAA National Hurricane Center site and they are able to formulate a possible track, I'm not even going to think about this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter