Hurricane Poll

For those of you in FL or surrounding areas. When there is a hurricane coming your w

• Batten down the hatches and ride it out

• Safety comes first....head for the hills

• Wait until the last possible minute to decide what to do

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shannone1

<font color=green>Don't sweat the small stuff<br><
For those of you in FL or surrounding areas. When there is a hurricane coming your way do you...

We stock up on everything, and enjoy the couple of days off! And, if power goes out, we have a hurricane party, and grill up everything in the fridge! :banana:

We moved to Deland Fl. in 78 or 79 from upstate NY, soon after hurricane David I believe it was came thru. We knew nothing, prepared for nothing. Luckily it wasn't too bad inland. Got married and moved away before the next big one.

I fall kinda in the middle of some of these. I will put off until we have a little certainty about how hard we may get hit. If we have anything of any magnitude I will definatly not ride it out. The biggest reason is storm surge. I think the house is sturdy but I don't want to drown in my own house.:rotfl2: . So, staying is not out of the question but, more than likely wil leave the house.

We'll more likely have a blizzard! Rules are the same though - get lots of beer! After a blizzard in the 70s or 80s (I forget which) the mayor of Buffalo wanted everyone to stay home so he told everyone to stay home and drink a few 6-packs of beer. Smart man. He was Irish! :lmao:

If I am certain it's coming my way...I take in the patio furniture and any yard decorations (not many) that could blow away. That's about it - and that's only so they don't damage my neighbor's property. During the 3 hurricanes of 2004 we had no personal problems from Charley or Frances. Jeanne left us without power for 4 days, so we just moved into the MH, cranked up the generator - ran a power cord to the fridge in the house & were just fine.

The people who should worry - don't - and those are usually the one's you read about in the news. If you've ever noticed, the buildings the news shows blowing away are usually gas station awnings & pool cages. Older mobile homes (built before 1995) are very susceptible to wind damage and for that reason alone should be evacuated. Also - if I lived on the beaches I would scram just for the tide surge, alone.

More homes were damaged by old, rotten trees in 2004 than by direct wind damage. FtW was an absolute mess after the 3 storms that year. They had batallions of tree removal companies at FtW that year. More than likely, FtW will be evacuated tomorrow. That's always fun!!

BTW --- I've lived in blizzards, ice storms, and hurricanes. I'll take a hurricane any day!

For those of you in FL or surrounding areas. When there is a hurricane coming your way do you...

I use to party like it was "1999" :thumbsup2 ,,I moved out of FL. in 1980.

About that party thing, didn't say I too smart bout them hurricanes.

I stopped at Winn Dixie on my way home from work today - only to pick up regular grocery stuff - not hurricane junk. There was a guy behind me with a cart full of beer. I look at him and said: "Hurricane supplies?" He said: "I prioritize!" I laughed all the way to my car...he made my day!

The news media is doing their very best to put everyone into a panic. They show an old rotten palm tree laying on it's side - fail to tell you it has been that way for at least a month - and say "this is our first casualty on Key West". I hate that these @zzez show the same blurbs non stop and work everyone into a frenzy. It's this type of "cry wolf" news broadcasting that tends to make people ignore warnings when a real storm hits.

I loved Fox news last night trying their best to find someone in a panic over the storm (Tampa Bay). They found one guy at THD buying a flashlight and practically goaded him into saying it was in preparation for Fay. The guy was probably buying it because the flashlight/ 6V battery combination is $3.95, where a regular 6V battery is $9.95.

I stopped at Winn Dixie on my way home from work today - only to pick up regular grocery stuff - not hurricane junk. There was a guy behind me with a cart full of beer. I look at him and said: "Hurricane supplies?" He said: "I prioritize!" I laughed all the way to my car...he made my day!

The news media is doing their very best to put everyone into a panic. They show an old rotten palm tree laying on it's side - fail to tell you it has been that way for at least a month - and say "this is our first casualty on Key West". I hate that these @zzez show the same blurbs non stop and work everyone into a frenzy. It's this type of "cry wolf" news broadcasting that tends to make people ignore warnings when a real storm hits.

I loved Fox news last night trying their best to find someone in a panic over the storm (Tampa Bay). They found one guy at THD buying a flashlight and practically goaded him into saying it was in preparation for Fay. The guy was probably buying it because the flashlight/ 6V battery combination is $3.95, where a regular 6V battery is $9.95.
I don't usually post on this forum.. but I just had to when I read your post.
I could not agree more with everything you wrote.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
It is the same here with over zealous ice and snow storm reporting. And when you finally get sick of it after being wound up one too many times you find yourself stuck without power for three days or driving in deplorable conditions. It's completely unethical.:headache:

I don't usually post on this forum.. but I just had to when I read your post.
I could not agree more with everything you wrote.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
It is the same here with over zealous ice and snow storm reporting. And when you finally get sick of it after being wound up one too many times you find yourself stuck without power for three days or driving in deplorable conditions. It's completely unethical.:headache:

I originally came from Buffalo/Niagara Falls area and moved to Florida in 1973. We never got a lot of news preceding snow storms back then. The bigger news was waiting to hear that your school had cancelled classes for the day!:laughing:

The news stations did such a bad job covering Hurricane Andrew in 1992, they feel "obligated" to over-stress any storm now. A lot of this sensationalizm led to Charlotte County Florida (Punta Gorda) residents not preparing for Charley in 2004.

BTW.... WELCOME!!! We're a little crazy here, but you're welcomed to hang out with us!

I voted ride it out. When the last storm came through here (Rita) the roads where so gridlocked it was taking 18hrs to make a 3hr drive. We are far enough inland that storm surge is not a problem so if its going to be real bad we just board up.

Jacksonville always seems to miss the hurricanes because we're in that armpit. My fear is that everybody is going to keep thinking that way and one day we're gonna get the s#!t knocked out of us. We usually evacuate at least 100 miles inland because we have horses and tin roofs on the barn doesn't mix with horse flesh. As the crow flies we're only about 1.5 miles off the beach so the surge and winds would get us bad. I have a generator and would take the camper so we would have a place to stay. We evacuated to Valdosta, GA in 99 for a hurricane Floyd. My mom reserved 10 rooms about a week before knowing friends and family would need them if we evacuated. Thanks mom :cheer2: . They were used and then some.

As a native I have always ridden out the storms. Even as a small kid in Tampa we never left, just put duct tape on the windows. Then after the wind we would play in the flood water. LOL those were the good old days.

Still just hunker down and drink a few beers. Fay is not going to be a big deal.

I live in hurricane alley. We had three in two years and I have lived through many of them growing up here. Since we live so far south, it does not behoove us to go anywhere because everything gets so gridlocked on the highways. We just hunker down and ride everything out. I have DH trained now. All is good.

Jacksonville always seems to miss the hurricanes because we're in that armpit. My fear is that everybody is going to keep thinking that way and one day we're gonna get the s#!t knocked out of us. We usually evacuate at least 100 miles inland because we have horses and tin roofs on the barn doesn't mix with horse flesh. As the crow flies we're only about 1.5 miles off the beach so the surge and winds would get us bad. I have a generator and would take the camper so we would have a place to stay. We evacuated to Valdosta, GA in 99 for a hurricane Floyd. My mom reserved 10 rooms about a week before knowing friends and family would need them if we evacuated. Thanks mom :cheer2: . They were used and then some.

I think you may have jinxed yourself!! they are showing Fay paying you a visit! She will visit us this evening..... just a bad thunderstorm but yesterday with school starting was just a tease... the kids are back home again today!!!

I voted for batten down the hatches and ride it out. Although if it was going to be really bad we would probably try to evacuate but it would have to be really bad. We live on an island with one way on/one way off. Once the causeway floods your stuck. Other then getting around by boat. ;)

Working for a Fire Department kind of gets in the way of me leaving. So If it's heading our way, DW and DD will leave with the dogs. I will have to report to work.

We've always lived on the Gulf Coast, and we've always just battened down the hatches. Been evacuated once . The neighborhood we live in now is on the water and the city makes us leave. (The last little storm they turned off our power to force us to leave! We didn't even get rain.) We would leave anyway, because if its a cat 3 or 4 we'll probably get washed away. We've dodged the bullet for along time----hopefully our good luck will hold out (knock on wood).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter