Hurricane Lane?

NancyDVC

DIS Veteran
For anyone staying at Aulani now. Hurricane watch is up for Oahu. Ports are closed in Hawaii (the Big Island) and Maui with high winds and rain affecting Hawaii. :confused3
Watch local news and keep informed. The current predicted track takes the storm center further away from Oahu.
Take care. Stay safe.

I just watched the latest update on the Weather Channel. Hurricane Warnng is up for the Big Island. Hurricane Watch is up for Maui.The storm is very large with hurricane force winds extending many miles out from the center.

Stay Safe!

Yes, thoughts and prayers for all on the Hawaiian islands! Praying this storm takes a big turn like they often do for Hawaii. Here is a good local weather website, and the link will take you to the daily weather narrative which shows the hurricane info from NOAA. This site is the best I know of to see what the weather is really like in various parts of each Hawaiian island:

https://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/glenns-daily-weather-narrative/

my son and his new wife are there for their honeymoon, they say its really calm and the resort is letting them know what is going on. They are spending the day by the pool, and tomorrow at the spa. Ah to be young and in love, not a care in the world :):rolleyes1 they just said its gotten a wee bit more windy........

1st off, my prayers to all those that will be effected ...

how long will you son & wife be at Aulani?/ How is the resort handling the situation?

We love this place, and the Hawaiian Islands, I use to live there in the early 1980's

Robin & Angel "D"

I’m in Waikiki now, and will be at Aulani on Sunday. So far it is ok here, wind picked up slightly last night. The worst is expected later today and tomorrow. I’m really hoping we can get through the next couple days without incident and move on with our vacation!

Prayers and thoughts to everyone in Hawaii.

Does anyone know what NCL’s ship is doing now? We are still 2 weeks away from the start of our RCCL Cruise to Honolulu from Vancouver.

I’m in Waikiki now, and will be at Aulani on Sunday. So far it is ok here, wind picked up slightly last night. The worst is expected later today and tomorrow. I’m really hoping we can get through the next couple days without incident and move on with our vacation!

I hope your room is at an upper level
Keep in mind loss of power no elevators...
KEEP SAFE!

Prayers and thoughts to everyone in Hawaii.

Does anyone know what NCL’s ship is doing now? We are still 2 weeks away from the start of our RCCL Cruise to Honolulu from Vancouver.
I just checked a news source.

As for cruise passengers, Norwegian Cruise Line’s Hawaii-based Pride of America did not visit Hilo Tuesday or Kona Wednesday and will spend Thursday and Friday at sea instead of stopping in Kauai as scheduled, according to Cruise Critic.

fortunately lane is coming from the south so aulani won’t take the storm surge hit if it continues as forecast to just graze the islands from the south (basically tropical depression/storm force winds at the outer edges as opposed to the hurricane force ones closer to the center)

most koolina workers probably don’t take the bus so staffing won’t be as affected as waikiki. if it does turn to directly hit oahu, most hotels should be able to take the hit from a cat 1 storm, not so much for residential homes (probably the best reason for koolina workers to want to be at work)

hopefully the worst effects would be little if any chairs available by the pools/beach (as they might be the first things to get pre-emptively stored)

I hope you are able to enjoy your vacation... we are booked for next week and i dont know if i should cancel our trip...

Hi everyone! Currently sitting on the pool deck at Aulani. All umbrellas are down and away and they've closed one of the pools, clearing out all chairs and small tables. The same is happening on the beach. We all had letters in our rooms last night asking us to bring in the furniture off the balconies and put it in our rooms. They cancelled all dinner reservations for this evening too. Luckily we're DVC members and are in a two bedroom villa so we have a kitchen stocked with food. As of Tuesday night the local Costco was sold out of water and lots of snacks. The wind has picked up significantly and at this point we are waiting to be told we can't sit at the pool anymore. We haven't gotten word about anything else yet. Our room is in the 5th floor so we are hoping to not have to worry about water should flooding occur.

I hope for the best for all visiting and living in Hawaii right now.

We fly on Monday stay in Waikiki that night, and arrive at Aulani on Tuesday. We are watching the news to see if we should still make our trip.

Cancelled all dinner? How about room service? Or I hope Monkeypod or ABC is opened today so people can grab some food. I normally don't rent a car and I would not have the kitchen stocked. :(

Stay safe!

We are here as well. Pools/lazy river/slides were closed early afternoon due to the winds and they removed all chairs, tables and umbrellas. Makahiki is doing take out style meals today until 9pm so you can go, get a plate and go back to your room. As others mentioned, they asked us to bring in the patio furniture last night. Right now the winds have picked up and there has been some mist like rain but that's about it.

Also the spa is closed tomorrow they cancelled our appointments and rescheduled to Sunday!

We are on the 15th floor, so not worried about flooding up here! We'll just hunker down tomorrow and see how strong the winds and rain get!

Last edited:
I just checked a news source.

As for cruise passengers, Norwegian Cruise Line’s Hawaii-based Pride of America did not visit Hilo Tuesday or Kona Wednesday and will spend Thursday and Friday at sea instead of stopping in Kauai as scheduled, according to Cruise Critic.

From NCL web site:
  • POA - Hurricane Lane Weather Update

Pride of America - Hurricane Lane Update - August 23, 2018 at 9:30 PM ET (1:30 AM UTC)

Due to Hurricane Lane in the Pacific, we have modified the itinerary for Pride of America. The ship is currently out at sea, away from the storm. Pride of America is expected to return to Honolulu on Sunday, August 26th. The previously scheduled August 25th sailing will be delayed until Monday, August 27th. Embarkation will be available on both Sunday, August 26th and Monday, August 27th. Guests are encouraged to monitor NCL.com for further updates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter