Hurricane Irma?

My BF and I have a trip planned for my 21st birthday.. flying to orlando 9/8 and flying out 9/12

We are suppose to be staying with family 20 minutes from Disney. But we have a feeling getting to the parks might be a problem.

We have no idea what to do.. rescheduling for us is not an option.

Currently debating on what to do with the same dates! My biggest concern isn't having the parks be closed but more making sure we can get home in a reasonable time. Current flight home is Tuesday night and we have a buffer day of Wednesday before we're back at work. As of now we think we're still going- we can enjoy the good weather days and weather out the storm otherwise. Trying not to stress too much- this is supposed to be vacation, after all!

Maybe chat with your family and see what they're thinking/hearing locally about the storm to help you make a decision?

I keep trying to call Disney to reschedule. It just tells me sorry all circuits are busy and tells me to call back later!

So, I know everyone is saying hang on and wait to see what happens the next few days. However we are using our DVC points, and there still some availability, so I made the I made an executive decision to be pragmatic and move it to Wednesday the 13th to Wednesday the 20th. Southwest already had it available for me to change our flights. When I was talking to DVC, she told me it they were expecting long hold times for members.

I know that it could turn, that it may not effect Orlando or briefly but I am not going to push it and hopefully Jose will stay away!

Do you remember which resorts had some availability left? We are in the exact same boat, thinking of rescheduling our dates from the 9-16 to 12-19 or 13-20.

Even in the WORST case scenarios I'm still not seeing winds of much over 50. Maybe I'm too blasé about it because we get winds like that here and it's generally no big deal, and I've also been through more than one "Snowmaggedon" that ended up being two inches of fluff.

I can absolutely see changing dates or cancelling if half your trip will be on Sunday-Monday, but otherwise, it SEEMS as if things should be relatively okay at least in Orlando.

Hurricanes are huge weather systems. From all gathered data the best central Florida can hope for at this point is a wet, sloppy mess and some unkown effect on park schedules -even if Irma turns sharply north and misses the FL coast. The meteorologists now are not just guessing in the dark. They have studied other weather factors and current systems, have live data from within the storm, and consulted lots of historical parallels to inform their insights. The science on this thing is real.
Not debating that at all. Not a word of it. But all that said, right now, does anyone know where it's going? No. The best, most well trained and experienced working on this right now can't tell you where it's going

I don't know whey they told me this. It could be that my husband is active duty air force?? I swear the lady this morning told me this info.
I have no doubt they told you that. Unfortunately, the CM on the phone really do not have a clue. Sad, sad, fact.

I can absolutely see changing dates or cancelling if half your trip will be on Sunday-Monday, but otherwise, it SEEMS as if things should be relatively okay at least in Orlando.

Sadly, our trip is Wednesday through Tuesday, so if we lose Sunday and Monday, and we fly out on Tuesday, we have half of Wednesday and Thurs - Sat. No one at Disney is too concerned from whom we have spoken to, the CM even said "at least you'll be at Disney for the hurricane". No, that's not what I want to hear, I'm paying for a vacation, coming from a place where there is no hurricane, I do not want to pay thousands to sit in a hotel room and be a burden to the staff. Yet, Disney is refusing to accommodate in anyway due to the "policy." We are calling back to see if we can get a different CM.

I have been waiting for my trip (September 9th-14th) since February. I suffer from severe depression and this is the one thing that has kept me going these past few months. :sad1: I really hope something changes and I can still go....
I totally get this. My family of four has had a rough year with surgery, sickness - my husband just suffered 2nd degree burns two weeks ago. I really desperately need to go experience the magic with my kids.

Originally arrangements were made for me to leave Sunday night. Hopefully ill be good, but from the looks of it ill be flying into Orlando Monday morning. Of course my Disney plans already looks like its going to get backed up since i have my first FP+ between 930-1030am Monday morning. Although, I'm sure i'll be well rested for our MNSSHP. I never let anything get in the way of my Disney Trips. Not even a Hurricane can keep me from being excited!!

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Right now, we are leaving Alabama for Orlando, before the crack of dawn on Sunday, the 10th. And leaving the 17th.

Debating going a day early and arriving on Saturday. That will get us there before anything might hit.

I think we will be rescheduling...we were going to be at Disney Sat 9/10-Wed 9/13. Park days were scheduled to be : Sunday 9/10, Monday 9/11, Tues 9/12 with Halloween Party on 9/10. Our primary reason for this short trip was the Halloween party with my 12 year old. I had wanted to keep this trip a surprise but we ended up telling her a month or so ago...and now dealing with the disappointment. I am trying to decide between last week of February and last week of April to reschedule. We have looked at every Fall date and we just can't do it due to other obligations.
I just cannot/will not intentionally fly into a Cat 5 (or 3 or 4) Hurricane. We are taking it day by day, watching Irma, and hoping for a miracle.

Seeing my countdown ticker really makes me sad :(

We are set to fly out tomorrow afternoon and fly home Sunday at 5:00. This is an anniversary trip just for the two of us. Our anniversary is on Friday. I have been following this thread since it started but DH doesn't want to hear about it. He just wants to go with the flow. I have a bunch of things booked that we have never done before like a wine tasting for food and wine, a massage at GF, keys to the kingdom tour , the dessert party and the DVC AK event. What are current projections for what day storm could hit Orlando. Trying to decide to either switch flights or make a hotel reservation for Sunday and maybe Monday night?

Yea, we are in a very similar situation but even shorter. Fly in Friday morning and then fly out Sunday Morning. Going without kids to celebrate our 10th anniversary on Friday as well. Pretty much just going to Epcot and eating, Magic Kingdom on Saturday morning. Between child care and doggie boarding, getting home later is not really a good option... Happy anniversary and hopefully this works out for both of us!

Not debating that at all. Not a word of it. But all that said, right now, does anyone know where it's going? No. The best, most well trained and experienced working on this right now can't tell you where it's going

I am so with you on this. Yes, it very much bears watching and needs to be taken seriously. But the path is still uncertain at best as far as Florida/WDW goes.

Flying in on the 9th, hoping the park stays open on the 10th, and then potentially riding it out on the 11th at the AoA, assuming the park closes that day (which is just conjecture at this point). Hoping all is back in full swing by that Tuesday for MNSSHP. Not trying to minimize the potential threat, but maybe if it doesn't hit Orlando directly, it'll make for low crowds and low humidity. Gotta be positive somehow, right?!

We are leaving tomorrow on a 7.5 hour drive from our home in Georgia to Disney. We're staying till the 16th. It's very hard for us to reschedule because of my husband's work schedule. Do you think it will be ok? If we were going for a shorter amount of time, I would try to work it out but with 9 nights and 10 days, I'm thinking we can just wait it out if anything happens.

I have been waiting for my trip (September 9th-14th) since February. I suffer from severe depression and this is the one thing that has kept me going these past few months. :sad1: I really hope something changes and I can still go....

If it makes you feel any better I am in the same mental illness boat on top of other horrible things happening to me over the past few months since I booked the trip. I drive for work and keep having to pull over to cry. I can't even help it. I'm so sad it physically hurts. I tried to keep it together but after sitting on hold for an hour to get a CM that acted like she didn't even know a hurricane was coming and basically told me they could do nothing for me, I have lost it. I have to make a decision by tomorrow and its looking like I'll have to just cancel and not go at all. I haven't even been able to eat today I feel so sick over it.

I am curious as to what you find out as we have that same MNSSHP scheduled as well.
If they cancell MNSSHP you will get to either reschedule your party or get a refund. We were there last year during hurricane Matthew and that's what they did because we had a party the night the hurricane hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter