Hurricane Irma?

I left for a couple hours to run errands, a nice break from worrying about my home ... which is sitting a little over 150 yards off the beach .... and come back to so much nonsense.

Just my observation but .... we seem to:

- Have had a few people join these boards in last couple days and do nothing more than bring negativity and really kind of bully others. :confused3

- Have a few others have joined that seem to be defending the board against the negative posts, maybe out of frustration.

- Have folks on the ground with great experience with storms and Disney that are giving great information. :thumbsup2

- We have folks who experienced Disney's way of handling last year that are giving great information. :thumbsup2

But sadly the good information is getting drowned out by the rabble-rousing.

Dreaming probably but what I would love is ....

- This thread locked.

- New thread to speak ONLY to how to negotiate the Disney/Airline etc maze during this time, how to get refunds etc, what to expect at the hotel if you choose to continue your plans and how the Orlando area will handle offsite and other things. Anything else will get deleted or moved to thread below.

- New thread on COMMUNITY where folks who want to argue about the storm path and who is right :rolleyes1 so it doesn't clutter this thread.

- New thread (if the storm causes any disturbance to operations at WDW) that will help folks through their stay too keep updated on all they need (much like we did last year) to make their vacation as positive as possible.

In a time when folks are scared, frustrated, upset ........ and looking for help ........ much of this is of zero help or worth.

End of rant.

An excellent idea... Mods ?

I think this might help some people. We were there last year during Matthew. The first thing I will say is that every resort seem to be handling the situation by themselves and there no standard that fit all.

We were at the BWV a few days before Matthew hit and they send voice messages and kept us updated. We then moved to BLT and we never received any information once we arrived there. The manager at BLT didn't even bother to see if there was something available for us to stay since our plans had to change because of the curfew in place. We were told there is no rooms for us to stay and was not offer any alternatives (before I get attacked no we weren't expecting for free accommodations ). We then went ahead and called our universal hotel and see if they could accommodate us early and they said absolutely and even gave us the same discounted rate. So at the end we end up leaving Disney early because they weren't willing to accommodate us. While we went to the front desk to let them know of our early departure a lady in line was leaving early as well and we exchanged stories and she also had the same not so helpful front desk manager. She even offer us her room if we wanted to stayed.

With that being said everyone experience is different and I do believe if we had to we would have found a new manager maybe contact someone higher up we would have been accommodated if not by Disney by very nice guest that we were all willing to help each other. My point is that if you can avoid being there in a situation that could be hit or miss specially with it comes to your family safety avoid it. Re-schedule if you can and don't go in expecting to be accommodated because of what you read on this board.

One more thing don't wait until last minute fill your car with gas.

Last edited:
Having lived on the central gulf coast for 43 years. My advice is if you can avoid it, do so. Reschedule if possible. For somewhere like Orlando (again CURRENT track which changes regularly) its not the wind or rain, though you do have to be mindful of tornado are possible, it's the 2 or 3 weeks of aggravation that follows. Now having said that, I know someone who was at Disney during a TS and said after it was over it was the best ever because the crowds were non existent. So to each their own. Just be safe.

We were scheduled to come in Friday 8th departing Saturday 16th from South Carolina. Seriously thinking of cancelling. Was trying to hold out as long as possible. Does anyone know if Disney is waiving all fees?

No fees applied. They also said they'd refund Party tix through ticketing, but I was disconnected after being transferred.

The post is a few pages back. Can't recall the username, but it was a new member. I was going to say something, but had a phone call come in.

I feel that posters need to make sure they are giving factual information on Disney policy...or be quiet.

Thanks AngiTN for mending this travelers fears.

I just wanted to comment on this. The poster originally asked the question (paraphrasing here), "if Disney has no rooms, what will happen?" If Disney has no rooms, then yes, you are on your own. I would imagine the chances of that are slim, but they're not zero. My husband is in management at Disney and a few years back, was a front desk manager. I asked him the question and he said the same thing: if they can possibly accommodate you in any way, they will (although you may end up paying rack rate for a room) but if they physically have nowhere to put you, there's nothing they can do about that. Again, the possibility of that is very low, but it's not zero.

Global ensembles for 18z Sep 6th

ECMWF, GFS, and now the global models are starting to narrow and come closer together, with fewer and fewer outliers. Take from that what you will.

11L_tracks_latest.png
Looking better and better. Still praying it turns back out to sea

I'll be driving in on Monday afternoon...probable along with all the power trucks heading south and east..... based on the current info.
I really feel for those of you that have to fly in or out this weekend, I can just turn around or leave at any point I decide it's too much trouble...nah... I'm going, hell or high water:daisy:

Going off of another answer I received earlier stating I'd be on my own. No harm meant.

You'd be on your own because they will probably need your room for an incoming guest. I wouldn't expect them to allow you to remain there. Maybe in a conference room if they're permitting guests to hang out, but yes, best to make sure you have a Plan B if your stay can't be extended.

I just wanted to comment on this. The poster originally asked the question (paraphrasing here), "if Disney has no rooms, what will happen?" If Disney has no rooms, then yes, you are on your own. I would imagine the chances of that are slim, but they're not zero. My husband is in management at Disney and a few years back, was a front desk manager. I asked him the question and he said the same thing: if they can possibly accommodate you in any way, they will (although you may end up paying rack rate for a room) but if they physically have nowhere to put you, there's nothing they can do about that. Again, the possibility of that is very low, but it's not zero.

I had originally asked that question. Thank you for easing my fears. Definitely at a point where I am very stressed about things, and I am planning this trip for another family member, so I won't physically be there. Just trying to get as much information as I can, so I can pass it on to them, so I've been asking a few questions here and there. Thanks!!

I'll be driving in on Monday afternoon...probable along with all the power trucks heading south and east..... based on the current info.
I really feel for those of you that have to fly in or out this weekend, I can just turn around or leave at any point I decide it's too much trouble...nah... I'm going, hell or high water:daisy:
Where are you driving from? I am coming from SC, and having the same debate about coming early early Tuesday. Think the roads will be good? And which way are you choosing to drive in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter