Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

We are now headed back to our resort from MK. Saw a few downed trees, standing water in the low-lying areas, and lots of debris/small limbs along the way. The park itself was cleaned up very well, although JC is still closed.

This was outside our room this morning. However, CMs are now driving around the resort with huge blowers. Clean up day!

01209924-EF3C-4090-991C-19531409EF47.jpegE5A5A9C0-97ED-414E-82EB-63BD38EFE87F.jpeg

A general comment now that we've turned the corner on Ian - I have very much appreciated everyone's contributions and helpful dialogue on this thread. I'd like to think it's been helpful for those there and those watching from a distance. Chances are many of us will encounter a storm while at WDW at some point in our Disney travels, so it's always helpful to read about experiences and how to best go about planning/setting expectations.

Obviously we only get small glimpses here and there of operations across the vast WDW resort footprint, but seems like things went reasonably well for most given the circumstances.

Thank you to everyone for keeping the discussion level-headed, calm, and respectful.

:thanks:

And many thanks to our moderators! Y’all are the best!! :disrocks:

Last edited:

I know nothing about RVs or camping, but does disney have to wait a bit for the ground to drain/dry or else the RVs will tear up the ground and you end up with ruts all over the place?
The sites without the full cement pads could be an issue. They have quite a few sites with cement pads, so tearing up the ground wouldn't be a huge concern for those sites. However, there are a lot of trees at Fort Wilderness, and it can get swampy with just a thunderstorm, let alone a hurricane. Even around the cabin loops there can be standing water on a good day...I'd guess some of those loops flooded during Ian...not the cabins themselves, but the area aroind them, which would make it hard to get to them. So it'll probably take a bit more to cleanup before RVs can roll through.

And in the (apparently 15 minute but definitely much shorter) queue for TSMM as we didn’t get a chance to ride it on our previous DHS park day. Think we’ll head for Tower of Terror next and then it’ll be time for a coffee!
In a long queue for Tower of Terror - I think the crowds have caught up with us!

For those onsite guests unable to secure a park reservation... it largely depends on the CM you speak to. I was able to secure one, but my girlfriend was not. I spoke to three different CMs. The first two told me that the system completely locked them out, and they are 100% unable to give her a park reservation.

The third CM said, "oh, no problem at all!" and gave her one in a matter of seconds.

For those onsite guests unable to secure a park reservation... it largely depends on the CM you speak to. I was able to secure one, but my girlfriend was not. I spoke to three different CMs. The first two told me that the system completely locked them out, and they are 100% unable to give her a park reservation.

The third CM said, "oh, no problem at all!" and gave her one in a matter of seconds.
That's the difference in CMs who know their technology and those who don't. Happens everyday.

Between This Thread and all the live reports I'm reading from bloggers on Twitter and YouTube, I just want to say it's the Disney cast members who bring the magic. They have gone above and beyond expectations to make the best of this situation for guests everywhere. Please remember to thank the cast members you meet. They do this not for the money but for the love of the magic. Be a guest with a good sense of humor, patience and friendly personality. Thank every cast member you meet, including the custodial workers.

You might be unhappy about the high prices Disney charges or the behavior of corporate managers, but it's these Rank and file cast members who are the difference in your stay. And it is not their fault they have crappy bosses. In fact they are true heroes because they still believe in the magic even with crappy bosses.

And currently in the ROTR briefing room 😊
And now in the Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway pre-show.
And in the (apparently 15 minute but definitely much shorter) queue for TSMM as we didn’t get a chance to ride it on our previous DHS park day. Think we’ll head for Tower of Terror next and then it’ll be time for a coffee!
In a long queue for Tower of Terror - I think the crowds have caught up with us!

I’m imagining this is you beating Tom @ WDWNT to RotR :laughing:

Yes, rope-dropped MK @ 8 am and got our tickets in hand :goodvibes

That's the difference in CMs who know their technology and those who don't. Happens everyday.
That doesn't make it right or wrong. It is possible that two were following instructions there were given and one ignored it. Disney implemented lots of rules today, so which CMs were following the correct process??

And at all times at Disney even in one position - one has different managers and they have to follow through on that manager's instructions, even if they are different.

I know this is the WDW forum but.. Volcano Bay is open! I have drink in hand, lounging in my cabana and by this afternoon I won’t care what else is! If you ever go, Cabana 8 is perfect!

Attachments

• 7CC541D0-0F7F-4891-801E-DE1AB3AF4B10.jpeg
    7CC541D0-0F7F-4891-801E-DE1AB3AF4B10.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 90
Beautiful day here in Epcot, so far everything we've tried has been open. Do have to note though it is packed! This whole week has seemed a lot busier than normal, but today feels like Saturday afternoon crowds in Epcot. Lots of vloggers around too.

Attachments

• 16645548114791440137292114960601.jpg
    16645548114791440137292114960601.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 89
Beautiful day here in Epcot, so far everything we've tried has been open. Do have to note though it is packed! This whole week has seemed a lot busier than normal, but today feels like Saturday afternoon crowds in Epcot. Lots of vloggers around too.
Are all the food booths for the Food and Wine festival operating?

Just arrived to the Orlando area from Ft. Lauderdale. Drive up was thankfully uneventful. Pretty much everything on idrive is closed so we headed over to the Florida mall and we’re having lunch at miller’s ale house while we wait for the mall to open. The mall opens at 1. The weather is amazing!!

I know gas is a big concern: I’d say 90% of gas stations were up and running with no lines. A few in the heart of idrive were not open. Saw no lines and plenty of available stations at those that were open. So that’s good!

We’re going to disney springs later today, made a dinner ADR. Then EPCOT tomorrow to celebrate the 40th :)

Just arrived to the Orlando area from Ft. Lauderdale. Drive up was thankfully uneventful. Pretty much everything on idrive is closed so we headed over to the Florida mall and we’re having lunch at miller’s ale house while we wait for the mall to open. The mall opens at 1. The weather is amazing!!

I know gas is a big concern: I’d say 90% of gas stations were up and running with no lines. A few in the heart of idrive were not open. Saw no lines and plenty of available stations at those that were open. So that’s good!

We’re going to disney springs later today, made a dinner ADR. Then EPCOT tomorrow to celebrate the 40th :)
Lol, I'm watching you live on TT right now, but didn't realize this was your post. I was reading this last line as you were saying that you were going to DS today for an ADR and then EPCOT tomorrow. I was like, what are the odds that this poster has the same plan and I'm reading it as the person on TT was saying it?! Then I looked at the screen name. :D

Edit: Or maybe it wasn't you? But someone else who is "TheDisneyNurse" on TT, is currently in WDW, and has the same plans today and tomorrow?? Crazy!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter