Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Think of flooding this way: many rides, utilidoors, etc. are underground. Where does water go? down. I'm guessing several rides will be flooded regardless if above ground looks clear. Same reason some hotel elevators are down, the mechanical stuff is in the basement. My guess would be some rides will be able to open, but let's also think of the staff that have their own homes to deal with. This is so sad all the way around.

At the risk of discussing rumor... I don't see how they could only open two parks tomorrow, without limits in place. The resorts right now are packed with guests who just want to get out and do something. There wouldn't be room for all these guests in two parks.
There would be plenty of room for resort guests, Epcot can hold 100K, MK 80K. It's happened before, when Charley hit, DAK remained closed for an extra day due to extensive clean up and the need to make sure all animal enclosures on stage were secure.

There would be plenty of room for resort guests, Epcot can hold 100K, MK 80K. It's happened before, when Charley hit, DAK remained closed for an extra day due to extensive clean up and the need to make sure all animal enclosures on stage were secure.
I stand corrected!

Some images from around the boardwalk area. Some minor damage to awnings and some larger branches down by the BW, but not bad. We were here right after I think Matthew a few years ago and the damage looked worse after that storm to this area with siding and shingles being ripped off the YC/BC. Not seeing any damage like that here today.

And lastly sad face since we can't get into Epcot today :rotfl2:

Attachments

• PXL_20220929_152530576.jpg
    PXL_20220929_152530576.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20220929_150715705.jpg
    PXL_20220929_150715705.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 152
  • PXL_20220929_150301323.jpg
    PXL_20220929_150301323.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 149
  • PXL_20220929_150229370.jpg
    PXL_20220929_150229370.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 153
  • PXL_20220929_145939489.jpg
    PXL_20220929_145939489.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 166
  • PXL_20220929_151725242.jpg
    PXL_20220929_151725242.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 167
Here’s why I am skeptical there will be any parks open tomorrow: roadways remain flooded and for emergency vehicles only. Until the buses can resume some semblance of order to move people around, we are all looking at activities limited to walking distances. Now these barriers may clear during the day tomorrow, but it seems awfully unlikely from a logistical standpoint to have thousands of CMs on standby to report or not report for duty.

It’s 11am and the rain mostly stopped 30-60 mins ago. I am in Kissimmee right behind Animal Kingdom. Our resort (Holiday Inn Orange Lake) weathered the storm fine - plan to go out for a walk soon to check things out and see what the main road is like.
Wear closed shoes or knee-high wellies if you have them. There may be critters galore with the same idea. 🦎🐍

Wonder if airport will be open tomorrow? We are scheduled to leave. Will be cutting it close as departure time is 12pm by airline. Plus getting a Lyft might be hard.
Roadway flooding typically clears pretty quickly once rain has stopped (unless you are somewhere impacted by a surging river, etc). Looks like reports are the gusts (not the sustained winds) were 45 mph at WDW and 67 at the airport. If that is accurate, I wouldn't think the airport itself would have any type of major damage. Unless they had interior flooding, I would expect the airport to be open at some point tomorrow. I think the question may be how early--- which will also impact when flights start coming in so planes are there to get people out. There is also the issue of where the storm is moving and whether that might disrupt air travel as well. Lyft- I don't know-- I guess it depends on how many drivers are dealing with clean up of their own stuff, or cars that flooded.

Wear closed shoes or knee-high wellies if you have them. There may be critters galore with the same idea. 🦎🐍
LOL! I do not plan to walk anywhere with any type of standing water. I’ll just turn back. The resort road outside our villa is completely normal for now. The main road is a short 3 min walk away so would be nice to check it out.

You know the one thing that has shocked me? ADRs are still hard to get for the weekend. Even harder than normal. I can’t get any Ohana, Space 220 Lounge, or Toppolino’s. I thought with all the reshuffling of plans that ADRs would open up.

Also, Mouse Dining’s availability calendar is not accurate. Which it was super accurate for my August trip. It is showing me a lunch reservation for Oct 8 at Space 220 and when I went to MDE, nothing opened up. That happened last night for an Ohana on a different day. Not sure what is happening.

We are in the Winter Park/Maitland area about 20 miles East of Disney. Lived here for 37 years and have never experienced anything like this. Many lakes around are flooding the roads creating rivers. Overnight was pretty nerve wracking. The rain has yet to stop here. Some areas are still getting pummeled with rain and others are getting a break. We check into Boardwalk next week and I’m glad to see the parks and resorts seem to have had a reprieve. Many locals have not.

Here’s why I am skeptical there will be any parks open tomorrow: roadways remain flooded and for emergency vehicles only. Until the buses can resume some semblance of order to move people around, we are all looking at activities limited to walking distances. Now these barriers may clear during the day tomorrow, but it seems awfully unlikely from a logistical standpoint to have thousands of CMs on standby to report or not report for duty.
Also I'd be surprised if they opened up the parks just for resort guests. It is massively expensive to open/run the parks and they pretty much count on them being pretty full most of the time to make it worth it.

It would not be responsible for them to open up to everyone until the infrastructure is mostly back to normal in the surrounding communities (of course there will be lingering issues to be addressed for a while) and provide temptation for people, there is a lot of flooding and emergency crews are tied up and need people to stay out of both their and harm's way while they are dealing with the immediate issues. Right now they are asking people to stay off the roads, first responders are overwhelmed and don't need people getting in more trouble because they are trying to get to Disney right now. I think Disney will remain closed as long as County officials are requesting people shelter in place and stay off the roads.

There is someone Live from Wilderness Lodge walking around on YouTube if anyone is interested…

Been watching them for awhile. Definitely more damage there than at some other resorts, and that's why tomorrow is still so "up in the air." Boardwalk showing little sign of damage, but Wilderness Lodge has some areas where there was erosion of walkways, part of their dock looks like it sunk a bit, several trees broken in half, a huge lantern thrown into the walkway, etc...

There is a lot of cleanup here, let alone all of the CM's who are cleaning up their own homes and may have roads that are blocked, etc.

I'm still thinking a "delayed" opening is possible tomorrow, but there is still so much to assess - and to take into consideration.

MCO already released a statement regarding tomorrow, it's posted a few pages back. They plan to resume operations but no timeline has been announced. I would have low expectations
Not unless every road is cleared to open & not restricted to emergency vehicles only.

Also I'd be surprised if they opened up the parks just for resort guests. It is massively expensive to open/run the parks and they pretty much count on them being pretty full most of the time to make it worth it.

It would not be responsible for them to open up to everyone until the infrastructure is mostly back to normal in the surrounding communities (of course there will be lingering issues to be addressed for a while) and provide temptation for people, there is a lot of flooding and emergency crews are tied up and need people to stay out of both their and harm's way while they are dealing with the immediate issues. Right now they are asking people to stay off the roads, first responders are overwhelmed and don't need people getting in more trouble because they are trying to get to Disney right now. I think Disney will remain closed as long as County officials are requesting people shelter in place and stay off the roads.
Agree...but 4 counties are involved...Polk, Lake, Orange & Seminole if road access is included.

LOL! I do not plan to walk anywhere with any type of standing water. I’ll just turn back. The resort road outside our villa is completely normal for now. The main road is a short 3 min walk away so would be nice to check it out.

You know the one thing that has shocked me? ADRs are still hard to get for the weekend. Even harder than normal. I can’t get any Ohana, Space 220 Lounge, or Toppolino’s. I thought with all the reshuffling of plans that ADRs would open up.

Also, Mouse Dining’s availability calendar is not accurate. Which it was super accurate for my August trip. It is showing me a lunch reservation for Oct 8 at Space 220 and when I went to MDE, nothing opened up. That happened last night for an Ohana on a different day. Not sure what is happening.
CMs may not be scheduled to come in yet.
PS. Those critters like to dry out where they can too 😉 Trust me...:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter