Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Yeah, I’m really not upset and understand it’s not price gouging. Very thankful to have a place to stay. We could have moved to an off-property resort for way less, but would rather be here. We’ve rented points 5 or 6 times which allowed us nicely discounted rooms. This was just a reminder of how expensive rack rate actually is, making buying into DVC even more tempting.
We’re staying safe and well-fed!
It’s not just Disney. We had two rooms at the Embassy suites in Saint Augustine on Tuesday. They did not tell us there was mandatory evacuation even though we kept asking. It was the bartender that told us at 5pm. We packed up told them front desk we were leaving. Even though Hilton announced a cancellation policy the manager charged us for the two rooms $1000. Had they said in the am the hotel was closing Wednesday we would have left. We came to Orlando and I am grateful to be here. We had to pay another $700 for Tuesday night to stay here. So $1700 for hotels for Tuesday night.
We had to change our flights to leave from MCO and not JAX no problem there. But our car went from $450 to $890. It’s hard times in a hurricane. Prayers everyone in Florida is safe and this passes.

UT want to absorb the loss. They'd offer you a refund, IF, Universal would refund UT. UT can't resell a dated ticket.
My daughter just updated me on what Universal told her. They said they authorized UT to modify tickets and UT absolutely could modify tickets with no lids on their part if they chose to. They’re choosing not to because while they won’t lose money, they won’t make it either.

Hopefully things clear out quickly and we’ll at least get some use of those tickets!

We’ve been trying to find out what conditions are as far as driving grom here to Universal. We’d move today if getting g around by car is a possibility. Otherwise we’re here for another night.

Still pretty windy here this morning at the YC, but not quite as bad as overnight. Hardly any debris out of our window just a few leaves on the ground.

Went down for breakfast this morning, they had a really nice spread and gave us a ton of food, got eggs, bacon, sausage, tater tots, pancakes and fruit, as well as various drinks and of course much needed coffee! Everything is to go at the moment so enjoying breakfast in bed now. They did say the only way to pay currently is to charge to the room, but we had our magic bands so no issues there.

Hoping once the winds die down a bit they open the pool again, it was nice being able to swim yesterday!

Edit to add: currently they are not letting guests use the elevators, so be prepared to take the stairs!

Attachments

• PXL_20220929_120033231.jpg
    PXL_20220929_120033231.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 229
  • PXL_20220929_114627063.jpg
    PXL_20220929_114627063.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 238

If you are going to Epcot when they re-open, you can still do the tequila tasting as a walk in. We have done that. Even if they put you on a wait list while you see other stuff. I would try another restaurant. Lastly, I would do my own tequila tasting if you can order some for delivery if you are not driving. Hopefully Target or a liquor store would be open by Friday, we have ordered some hard liquor from Target. Praying that everyone is safe and everything is pretty back to close to normal by Friday evening or Saturday. Good luck and stay safe. I was going to recommend the chocolate cake for delivery from Portillos in Orlando( best chocolate cake ever) They are closed today, but open tomorrow per their website. Just some ideas.
Thank you so much for the ideas, really appreciate it. Didn’t know they do it as a walk up sometimes so that’s a little bit of hope 🤞

Still pretty windy here this morning at the YC, but not quite as bad as overnight. Hardly any debris out of our window just a few leaves on the ground.

Went down for breakfast this morning, they had a really nice spread and gave us a ton of food, got eggs, bacon, sausage, tater tots, pancakes and fruit, as well as various drinks and of course much needed coffee! Everything is to go at the moment so enjoying breakfast in bed now. They did say the only way to pay currently is to charge to the room, but we had our magic bands so no issues there.

Hoping once the winds die down a bit they open the pool again, it was nice being able to swim yesterday!

Edit to add: currently they are not letting guests use the elevators, so be prepared to take the stairs!
At the BC and we’re using elevators

It’s not just Disney. We had two rooms at the Embassy suites in Saint Augustine on Tuesday. They did not tell us there was mandatory evacuation even though we kept asking. It was the bartender that told us at 5pm. We packed up told them front desk we were leaving. Even though Hilton announced a cancellation policy the manager charged us for the two rooms $1000. Had they said in the am the hotel was closing Wednesday we would have left. We came to Orlando and I am grateful to be here. We had to pay another $700 for Tuesday night to stay here. So $1700 for hotels for Tuesday night.
We had to change our flights to leave from MCO and not JAX no problem there. But our car went from $450 to $890. It’s hard times in a hurricane. Prayers everyone in Florida is safe and this passes.
I would contact Hilton directly about what happened there. I’ve found their Twitter team pretty responsive. No idea if they’ll be able to refund you or offer compensation but you can make them aware the hotel was intentionally misleading guests during a dangerous time.

ETA: I mean DM them on Twitter. Not publicly calling them out or anything.

Last edited:

If you were charged for a room you did not use during a declared emergency/evacuation order, you should try disputing those Embassy charges with your CC company. Seems like an open and shut case to me.

I would contact Hilton directly about what happened there. I’ve found their Twitter team pretty responsive. No idea if they’ll be able to refund you or offer compensation but you can make them aware the hotel was intentionally misleading guests during a dangerous time.
usually people who complain publicly are addressed. It's possible that the manager was just following the direction they'd been giving from higher up, but corporate certainly has the power to make it right.

Currently at kidani. Never lost power though the storm as far s I can tell. Cast member did a great job extending our reservation from Riviera to Kidani because we couldn’t check into Riviera today. There were plenty of kids activities, Russel and Dug did a meet and greet in the lobby and the atmosphere was generally positive. My wife and I were able to have our anniversary dinner at Sanaa last night which made it feel more like a normal day.
Waiting to hear if they are extending us at Riverside, as we have a night booked at YC.

They’re allowing us to roam freely at the BC. It was a quick look as it’s still raining a bit and the wind isn’t fun, There’s some cleanup to do for sure but nothing serious.

Attachments

• D09368CE-96F4-44F4-B075-58FC77A646A4.jpeg
    D09368CE-96F4-44F4-B075-58FC77A646A4.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 1E95F155-8A6B-405A-8D85-4B9774D51C0E.jpeg
    1E95F155-8A6B-405A-8D85-4B9774D51C0E.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 1A1647AC-4411-4AF2-88B0-AAA24BF9857A.jpeg
    1A1647AC-4411-4AF2-88B0-AAA24BF9857A.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 92F2F0CE-6461-4F83-A099-2734910E2776.jpeg
    92F2F0CE-6461-4F83-A099-2734910E2776.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 201
  • EA1BF27A-FD65-432E-8293-7A7ECB083E97.jpeg
    EA1BF27A-FD65-432E-8293-7A7ECB083E97.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 211
No flooding and very little debris here at Coronado Springs Resort. No power outage, as expected.

I’ll place quite a bit of money on the parks reopening Friday.

I am so confused. All they are showing on the news is the IMMENSE flooding in Orlando and Kissimmee with evacuating people from their houses. It looks crazy.

It won't let me share the news videos, otherwise I wood.

Hi we are at OKW. Goods to go at the HH were open or still are selling the lunch kits. The community room open for DVDs etc. the shop may still have some nice bits snd pieces. Yes not much info at all! We brought the balcony furniture in and filled the bath (just in case). Put extra water for drinking water in the fridge. We have a leak from the ceiling (not related to the Hurricane) waiting for that to get sorted. There is nothing else open but you can ask for extra coffee etc. the advice about closing curtains and staying away from windows is a good one. It will be a rough night I think but we are in safe buildings. We unplugged the TV and plugged it back in and it seemed to reset it, worth a try.
Only just seen this as it got lost amongst so many other posts but thank you for this! I ended up making the journey to reception yesterday afternoon and asked about lunch boxes, I think I have bad luck with which cast members I get as the person I spoke to was unsure if they were going to offer any, so when I enquired about what people were supposed to do for food her response was that they had advised days ago that people ensure they have enough of their own provisions to last for 36hrs…eeek didn’t help me feel reassured 🙈 the kind of advice I’d expect from the news channel maybe, sensible but not very caring - also turned out to be incorrect as Olivia’s was open until 9pm last night. They are also waiting to see how today goes but are hopeful it may reopen for late lunch/dinner, so worth a call to front desk around this time to check. Hope your night wasn’t too restless and stay safe ☺️

usually people who complain publicly are addressed. It's possible that the manager was just following the direction they'd been giving from higher up, but corporate certainly has the power to make it right.
Forgot to mention I always use DMs with issues like that. No need to make that stuff public.

Local Orlando station has a video posted of some flooding outside the Swan/Dolphin resorts. Several inches of water on the road or entry drive - hard to tell what it is from the video but it looks like an entry drive to the Dophin portion of the resort.

Glad to hear reports of minimal damage from those staying onsite at WDW now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter