Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

But if you don’t have an inside corridor I assume move to the bathroom? A bit nervous about this happening 🥺
You won’t have a choice so why stress? Your window busts then in the bathroom area/tub area/wherever the bathroom door is where everyone in the room goes. It’s not like you can opt to leave your room that lacks an interior hallway with debris flying about in 70mph+ winds.

That said we’ve yet to see a report of that happening in a storm at WDW. They built those places strong.

But if you don’t have an inside corridor I assume move to the bathroom? A bit nervous about this happening 🥺
Worrying over things that have little to no chance of happening only stresses you out. In all the years I’ve been following WDW happenings, I’ve never heard about so much as a cracked window. If you have food and water for a couple of days, you’ll be fine.

First, welcome to the southern US and I hope your holiday is minimally impacted. Second, a few words about safety: winds will start to pick up and could cause debris, lawn furniture that wasn't already pulled in, tree limbs to become projectiles. Whole trees could fall. This means shelter in your room through the winds. Because Orlando is in a direct path (at least for now) you might have the eye pass overhead. If the eye passes overhead, there will be a period of 10-40 minutes (depends on width of the eye) where the winds will calm. You might be tempted to think the storm has passed, so be aware of the that lull if the eye does pass through your area. I advise caution about going out during the eye, even if you see others... there could be limbs about to fall at OKW. There could be roofing nails or other storm debris strewn about that you might not see easily. Wildlife might be out, but usually wildlife will slither/run from humans. Tornadoes can by tossed out by hurricanes, not always from the center, so even if there's not hurricane force winds near you, it's another reason not to be out strolling.

Third, I also encourage set up of towels like in the picture upthread for wind driven rain. Hopefully ants and other little critters don't come in, but I would be more concerned about the wind driven rain into the unsealed areas like a door.

You had asked about how to know what to do and when. I believe the second post of this thread, curated by GADisneyDad has several links for you to use. These news outlets will give you the advisement when to shelter in place. They will give you tracking updates where the storm is located. According to a Coronado CM I inquired on Monday, Disney will use the shelter in place (which means your room at OKW) as a curfew, because those rooms are outward facing. Although if your room is interior to a building (like Jambo house or Wilderness lodge) you may be able to stroll in the interior lobby area. If you are completely without food or water, then see what you can do to safely provision for at least overnight thru midday tomorrow. There are excellent posts upthread about room preparation, window safety and food/water set-up.

I hope you come through the storm safely and end up having a positive experience adventure to share with friends and family back home. Big hugs!
Thank you so much for the kind advice, massive help!!!!

Here at GF Big Pine Key also. Went down to front desk yesterday to ask what would happen if I wasn’t able to go home Friday. They put me on a call list and by 4 pm they had called. They said they would be able to extend my stay by one day. It cost the full amount of points but at least we have a place to stay If we will still need it. Piglet is in the lobby hosting the games. Mobile ordering was cancelled around 2pm anyone needing to order food would have to be present at the quick service to place order. I only know because we had placed an order and it got cancelled. So went down to find out. I hope ever stays safe.

Attachments

• A77BF2FB-5646-43AC-8F1B-34981F08E384.jpeg
    A77BF2FB-5646-43AC-8F1B-34981F08E384.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29
I don’t know if it will extend but our flight is supposed to be 12pm Friday. I didn’t want to take a chance so that is why we booked the room. I will let the airline cancel us or not cancel us.

Anyone think the closures extend through Friday to Saturday?
it looks like tropical storm conditions are possible through the end of the day thursday and I would expect that they are going to take some time to clean up, so I'd say high probability for closures extending through Friday. How much further depends on the extent of the damage, not just on Disney property but roads being passable so cast can get to work and the power situation, already over 1M customers out in the state.

But I'd be very surprised if they could open back up on Friday if it is still blowing at tropical storm force all day Thursday. and this thing seems to be moving sloooooooooooowly.

Here at GF Big Pine Key also. Went down to front desk yesterday to ask what would happen if I wasn’t able to go home Friday. They put me on a call list and by 4 pm they had called. They said they would be able to extend my stay by one day. It cost the full amount of points but at least we have a place to stay If we will still need it. Piglet is in the lobby hosting the games. Mobile ordering was cancelled around 2pm anyone needing to order food would have to be present at the quick service to place order. I only know because we had placed an order and it got cancelled. So went down to find out. I hope ever stays safe.
Yah we are supposed to move to SSR and do not c how it’s possible. I will walkover and discuss.

Yes, retreat to the bathroom and shut the door. But try to breathe and not be too nervous. There’s a bunch of us here with you.

Anyone think the closures extend through Friday to Saturday?

If I had to guess, maybe AK due to the animals. The rest could open Friday afternoon. I know they will want the parks reopened asap and have teams in place ready to go.

What are the wx conditions there now?

So I also don’t know if this is the correct place to ask for advice on this but everyone in this thread seems so helpful and for the most part directly involved so I figured here might be best? If not please direct me to the best place. So we are here from the uk, my dad has his birthday tomorrow and I had La cava tasting experience and v+a booked as a surprise for his birthday present. Obviously all cancelled which is okay as I know people on the greater scheme are far more affected than this by hurricane Ian. However I’m usually creative/inventive but am drawing a complete blank on what I can possibly do for his birthday tomorrow as I now don’t even have a gift to give him 🥺 (I had home made fake tickets printed out for the tequilla tasting experience and Victoria and alberts that I have gift wrapped in a box). We leave on Sunday so these are not realistically rebookable. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can possibly do for his birthday no matter how small? Sorry if this seems silly but this whole trip was timed for now due to his birthday. Thanks and hope everyone stays safe x

Posted this in another thread. Just found this one.

I’m in the Coronado tower. The lobby was an absolute nightmare this morning, like I had never seen before. Checkin line was about 2 hours. Lots of guests with luggage tagged as “transfer”. I suppose they were bringing guests in from the resorts that closed. Luckily, we checked in early and only waited an hour.

They served normal breakfast, but started the meal kits around 11am. The line to pay for food was about 30 minutes.

It’s just raining at the moment, but housekeeping has been knocking on doors handing out flashlights and towels. There is a ton of noise on the floors. People are just bored, with kids, so this is understandable. I’m just glad I have working air conditioning.

I became a local not long ago and chose to ride out the storm here. I work remotely and need power to get paid. Overall, I feel very safe and welcome here.

View from our room on the 9th floor..

F44DF3D8-680E-4156-AA9F-117C6E3750E6.jpeg

Stormalong bay is back open! Not planning on swimming again today, but nice to see them trying to keep things open as long as they can.

Lines for dinner are really long, the A&C line stretches all the way through the YC lobby and there's a pretty decent line outside yachtsman as well. Fortunately we have a ton of leftovers from lunch so will be eating in the room.

It has been kinda nice today having a forced rest day, my feet are certainly thankful! This may be the first Disney trip I come home from actually feeling well rested!

So I also don’t know if this is the correct place to ask for advice on this but everyone in this thread seems so helpful and for the most part directly involved so I figured here might be best? If not please direct me to the best place. So we are here from the uk, my dad has his birthday tomorrow and I had La cava tasting experience and v+a booked as a surprise for his birthday present. Obviously all cancelled which is okay as I know people on the greater scheme are far more affected than this by hurricane Ian. However I’m usually creative/inventive but am drawing a complete blank on what I can possibly do for his birthday tomorrow as I now don’t even have a gift to give him 🥺 (I had home made fake tickets printed out for the tequilla tasting experience and Victoria and alberts that I have gift wrapped in a box). We leave on Sunday so these are not realistically rebookable. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can possibly do for his birthday no matter how small? Sorry if this seems silly but this whole trip was timed for now due to his birthday. Thanks and hope everyone stays safe x
where are you staying?

Incoming guests can cancel without penalties. Some locals may have things that need attention. As soon as things open up I'd check for availability. Don't rely on the app. Go to the GF and ask about VA and Citrius. Same with Tequila

Birthday gift options when you are there now:

a) Go into the gift shop and buy things to make a Hurricane Kit.
Little things that he would find helpful, useful, amusing or edible.
You could have him reach in the bag and pull out one thing on the hour, with his eyes closed.

b) Go online and buy him something. You can show him a picture, like you would if you had ordered it online and it hadn't arrived in time for his birthday.

I would check the website on Friday at 7 am (or earlier) or call V&A directly when they open to see if there are any cancellations. Direct number (407) 939-3862 between 10AM and 4PM ET.

As far as celebrating tomorrow, you at the mercy of your resort gift store/QS. Maybe a board game and baked goods?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter