Hurricane Dorian

Is this storm expected to stall? That’s the one thing I would look for. Harvey people over here. Dirty side should have the most worry.

Has anyone been able to get in contact with reservations? Each time I call it will not go through and I need to modify my reservation. Is it possible to go to guest relations in Springs and modify it there with them, or in the lobby of one of the resorts (I am currently at Riverside, but need to modify a stay at Coronado).

Has anyone been able to get in contact with reservations? Each time I call it will not go through and I need to modify my reservation. Is it possible to go to guest relations in Springs and modify it there with them, or in the lobby of one of the resorts (I am currently at Riverside, but need to modify a stay at Coronado).

I don't know this for sure put I would think the front desk at the resort should be able to help.

I think over the coming days, my comment here will get lost in the mix but I wanted to share my learning experiences from having been at WDW during Matthew. I knew Matthew was coming almost 2 weeks in advance but of course you never know specifics until you're close. When it came down to it, Matthew arrived the day after we did. MCO shut down about 5 hours after our arrival. We knew flying in what we were up against and WDW and the airlines had been offering fee-free cancellations but we were too stubborn because it was our first WDW trip as a family and it would really only affect one day of our trip. Now that I've experienced it, I won't do it again, or if I did, I would prepare differently. I would rather take the disappointment of cancelling a trip last minute than the experience we had. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not the fear of the storm that affected how I felt about things. I also understand that Matthew was a tremendous learning experience for Disney and they made some adjustments with Irma.

We were forced into ASMu as we were told that was the only hotel with any availability left and later learned that wasn't actually true. We didn't originally have 3 nights of our trip booked at WDW because we were scheduled on DCL which is why we booked a last minute room. Being on curfew in the room with very little communication from the resort as to the status of things was frustrating. The only food available was box lunches that were very pricey for what they were but we had no choice as all area delivery restaurants had closed. The box lunch line was about 2 hours long. You couldn't be too upset with the Cast Members that were there because they were forgoing being with their families to be with guests, and they were also the special hurricane crew that didn't normally work the roles that they were in at that time.

There is a special "hurricane rate" that can be charged for the room instead of rack rate. Keep that in mind if you're there and you get stuck. You shouldn't have to pay rack rate.

I would have picked up several To Go boxes of food from the dining areas before closures were announced or even just the airport had I realized what it would be like. I would have brought more room entertainment. I understand the resorts with interior corridors had activities in the common areas so those guests had a much different experience from us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have any thoughts about cancelling, I would recommend doing that. If you're there or you're going to push through, I would recommend having the frame of mind that until the storm has passed, Disney's only concern really will be your safety, not your happiness or comfort.

You are worried about your FPs????????

That was my thought. It's a good thing I'm working from home today, because I think I would have gotten a lot of stares with how loud this comment made me laugh.

Is this storm expected to stall? That’s the one thing I would look for. Harvey people over here. Dirty side should have the most worry.

It's expected to stall and be slow. It looks like this is going to be a lot like Charley. Going to take it's sweet time ripping through FL.

At first will be intense due to the fact that it's been in open waters, but will lessen as time goes on while on land, but it will still be quite windy. The access of rain will be the biggest issue other than the wind due to the fact that the rain will remain at a steady pace.

Another thing guests need to be aware of (other than others sharing their own WDW hurricane stories) that we often due mandatory curfews during these times for countries, every county is different. Sometimes it's 24 hours (which is during the hurricane), or a start during a certain point in the evening til the morning curfew. So, if people attempt to come, or go during times in which they are not supposed to and seen, you will be questioned. I'm sure they'll cut you a break if it's an emergency, but otherwise I do not know the consequences of breaking curfew.

Also, if you have curfew, or in an evacuation zone, you will not get emergency vehicles to rescue you until it's all over, things are clear, and curfew is lifted. However, I do not know what the circumstances are if you're on Disney property.

I think over the coming days, my comment here will get lost in the mix but I wanted to share my learning experiences from having been at WDW during Matthew. I knew Matthew was coming almost 2 weeks in advance but of course you never know specifics until you're close. When it came down to it, Matthew arrived the day after we did. MCO shut down about 5 hours after our arrival. We knew flying in what we were up against and WDW and the airlines had been offering fee-free cancellations but we were too stubborn because it was our first WDW trip as a family and it would really only affect one day of our trip. Now that I've experienced it, I won't do it again, or if I did, I would prepare differently. I would rather take the disappointment of cancelling a trip last minute than the experience we had. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not the fear of the storm that affected how I felt about things. I also understand that Matthew was a tremendous learning experience for Disney and they made some adjustments with Irma.

We were forced into ASMu as we were told that was the only hotel with any availability left and later learned that wasn't actually true. We didn't originally have 3 nights of our trip booked at WDW because we were scheduled on DCL which is why we booked a last minute room. Being on curfew in the room with very little communication from the resort as to the status of things was frustrating. The only food available was box lunches that were very pricey for what they were but we had no choice as all area delivery restaurants had closed. The box lunch line was about 2 hours long. You couldn't be too upset with the Cast Members that were there because they were forgoing being with their families to be with guests, and they were also the special hurricane crew that didn't normally work the roles that they were in at that time.

There is a special "hurricane rate" that can be charged for the room instead of rack rate. Keep that in mind if you're there and you get stuck. You shouldn't have to pay rack rate.

I would have picked up several To Go boxes of food from the dining areas before closures were announced or even just the airport had I realized what it would be like. I would have brought more room entertainment. I understand the resorts with interior corridors had activities in the common areas so those guests had a much different experience from us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have any thoughts about cancelling, I would recommend doing that. If you're there or you're going to push through, I would recommend having the frame of mind that until the storm has passed, Disney's only concern really will be your safety, not your happiness or comfort.

Thanks! I think it was good that you wrote this even if you thin it might get lost it might help one person decide. If I had the opportunity to know ahead of time a storm was coming I would absolutely cancel and reschedule. Even if you do make it through safely the aftermath of the storm can be bad. There is no way to know how it will affect the area. It wouldn't be fun to be stuck at a resort with limited amenities. You are absolutely correct Disney is concerned with your safety, not the other things. Just because it was one or two days last time could be more this time. This is supposed to be a slow-moving storm with lots of rain and winds. Flooding is very possible even on Disney property, that would definitely not be fun.

That was my thought. It's a good thing I'm working from home today, because I think I would have gotten a lot of stares with how loud this comment made me laugh.

It's expected to stall and be slow. It looks like this is going to be a lot like Charley. Going to take it's sweet time ripping through FL.

At first will be intense due to the fact that it's been in open waters, but will lessen as time goes on while on land, but it will still be quite windy. The access of rain will be the biggest issue other than the wind due to the fact that the rain will remain at a steady pace.

Another thing guests need to be aware of (other than others sharing their own WDW hurricane stories) that we often due mandatory curfews during these times for countries, every county is different. Sometimes it's 24 hours (which is during the hurricane), or a start during a certain point in the evening til the morning curfew. So, if people attempt to come, or go during times in which they are not supposed to and seen, you will be questioned. I'm sure they'll cut you a break if it's an emergency, but otherwise I do not know the consequences of breaking curfew.

Also, if you have curfew, or in an evacuation zone, you will not get emergency vehicles to rescue you until it's all over, things are clear, and curfew is lifted. However, I do not know what the circumstances are if you're on Disney property.

Thanks, that was really helpful information that people might not have thought about!

I know zilch about hurricanes- how far in advance do you get notice of what might become a hurricane? I know the basics, that it’s a combo of ocean temp and wind, and I think they generally start out as disturbances off Africa... just looking for a little 101 on when NHS starts tracking potential storms? A couple weeks out?

I believe they meant LA as in Los Angeles, California traffic, as in the all day not going anywhere traffic :car:

LOL, sorry. It never occurred to me that I needed to make the distinction between Los Angeles (famous for traffic jams) and the postal abbreviation for Louisiana...although I am sure I-10 can get a bit hairy at times...

Wishing everyone the best who is either at WDW for this weekend or flying in shortly. I had to cancel my Sept trip this year and the worry about storms is one of the few things I won't miss. In past years, I have been very lucky and hopscotched around the storms - either arriving a few days after or flying out a few days before. While I have never been on property during a hurricane or severe storm, I have been there in the days leading up to a storm event.

I was staying at AS Sports and was thankful I booked a room on the upper floor as heavy rain bands hit a few days before and there was standing water pooling on the walkways, grounds and right up to the threshold of ground floor rooms. If possible, bear in mind pooling and flooding and get a room on the upper 3rd floor if staying in values or moderates. Even if you have already been assigned a room, consider asking at the front desk when you arrive. I know this may not be possible or practical for some esp with mobility challenges. For those who can do it, strongly consider trying.

I know zilch about hurricanes- how far in advance do you get notice of what might become a hurricane? I know the basics, that it’s a combo of ocean temp and wind, and I think they generally start out as disturbances off Africa... just looking for a little 101 on when NHS starts tracking potential storms? A couple weeks out?
They start as soon as systems develop off the coast of Africa, Caribbean or the Gulf. They get a number and the a name if they develop. The window can be any where from 5-10 days

The good thing about hurricanes is there is always plenaty of notice unlike Tornadoes or Earthquakes that just happen.

Dave

Generally speaking it can range from 2 - 3 weeks, beginning with what is defined as a tropical wave or what the term used in the business is "Invest". As you correctly mentioned they typically trek across the Atlantic beginning off the west coast of Africa. I say typically, because there are exceptions to this when tropical waves develop in the Gulf of Mexico or most recently with "Erin" in the Atlantic off of Florida. These can and have developed into tropical depressions, then tropical storms, and eventually hurricanes. The ones that track across the Atlantic will take longer purely due to the geography they cover. As a result they'll be in the news longer.

NHS starts tracking potential storms at the tropical wave or "Invest" phase. They'll analyze the makeup of the storm which usually lacks a closed circulation and has winds in every direction. Wind speeds are less than 20 knots, or 25 mph for a tropical wave. They'll continue to track the storm for growth or until it fizzles out. If it grows, then you have the tropical depression. Again, same process follows for growth or fizzling out. Next growth phase is tropical storm and then ultimately a hurricane.

I've made a lot of generalizations and realize that this doesn't cover every scenario from a historic perspective, but as you requested wanted to give you a little 101 on the storm evolution and NHS tracking.

Supposed to fly in on Monday for 6 nights. Looks like we're not going to go. Fortunately, I was able to find a reservations (still with Free Dining!) in November and booked it a couple days ago as a place holder. I know Disney's policy on cancellation is full refund if hurricane warning within 7 days of check-in. If this thing keeps slowing down, I'm going to be pushing getting a hurricane warning for Orlando before my check in day (Monday). Does anyone know if Disney is currently willing to bend those rules yet or are they waiting for the actual warning to be issued?

Last edited:

Well said!! There are those of us that are not going to WDW for a vacation but because we are evacuating from the coast. If you have reservations for a "vacation", especially with children please reconsider. This will not be fun for anyone especially with a possible stall over Orlando. DH looked online this morning and the gas station near Victory Way was out of gas. This has been an issue in past hurricanes. Hopefully, we will have gas to get back home.

Supposed to fly in on Monday for 6 nights. Looks like we're not going to go. Fortunately, I was able to found a reservations (still with Free Dining!) in November and booked it a couple days ago as a place holder. I know Disney's policy on cancellation is full refund if hurricane warning within 7 days of check-in. If this thing keeps slowing down, I'm going to be pushing getting a hurricane warning for Orlando before my check in day (Monday). Does anyone know if Disney is currently willing to bend those rules yet or are they waiting for the actual warning to be issued?

... Just cancel the reservation.

Or push it a week, or actually perhaps two would be better, after the hurricane if you're able to take off at another time. This isn't going to be like Michael, it's coming... Slowly. Which is going to affect Florida more the last one. Even Monday morning, we're going to be feeling the full effects of it and it won't even technically be making landfall that morning. Sometimes I don't think people realize, or understand, it's not the eye to focus on, it's the whole hurricane. Due to it's speed it's going to be few days of the hurricane alone, not including the aftermath.

Or at least make sure you are staying at a deluxe! : ) /joke

... Just cancel the reservation.

Or push it a week, or actually perhaps two would be better, after the hurricane if you're able to take off at another time. This isn't going to be like Michael, it's coming... Slowly. Which is going to affect Florida more the last one. Even Monday morning, we're going to be feeling the full effects of it and it won't even technically be making landfall that morning. Sometimes I don't think people realize, or understand, it's not the eye to focus on, it's the whole hurricane. Due to it's speed it's going to be few days of the hurricane alone, not including the aftermath.

Thanks for the advice, but it really didn't address my question or situation. I grew up in South Louisiana, I know better than to fly into a hurricane zone. And, I stated in my post that I'm pushing my reservation all the way back to November. My question had to do with timing of cancelling. According to Disney's policy, if I cancel today I am out my deposit (x2 because I have 2 rooms). If there's a hurricane warning then it's a full refund. Just trying to see if anyone has had any luck canceling with a full refund yet.

Thanks for the advice, but it really didn't address my question or situation. I grew up in South Louisiana, I know better than to fly into a hurricane zone. And, I stated in my post that I'm pushing my reservation all the way back to November. My question had to do with timing of cancelling. According to Disney's policy, if I cancel today I am out my deposit (x2 because I have 2 rooms). If there's a hurricane warning then it's a full refund. Just trying to see if anyone has had any luck canceling with a full refund yet.
Q. What does it mean for my vacation plans if a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of my arrival date? A. If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane... 

No warning yet, possibly this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter