Hurricane Dorian

So all the latest reports within the past hour Dorian at a Cat 3 hitting Florida on Monday! So my guess is all Orlando flights will be canceled? We are scheduled to fly out of Orlando on Monday evening and I am seriously thinking of cancelling the entire trip.
Really can't get stuck in Disney as much as I would love to. High school and college kids need to be back in class. Can't miss days waiting to get out.

I have never been in Florida during a hurricane. From most of the models I just watched this past hour it is almost for sure hitting the east coast of Florida somewhere mid to north range. Will Orlando shut the airport down?

Thinking I may be better off moving our trip dates. Would love to hear from locals and people that have experienced this before.

I have no idea what Dorian will do (nobody does at the moment.) I can add my experience with Michael from 2017.

We flew in at 1pm the day the hurricane passed on the coast. Disney evacuated the parks and Orlando International cancelled all flights a few hours after we landed and closed the airport at 6pm (if I remember correctly.) The airport remained closed for a few days and we spent the first two days of our trip huddled in Clearwater Beach.

Everything depends on timing and tracking. We made it in and got lucky, although we were stuck in LA-type traffic for six hours trying to clear the Orlando area. I am from Florida (now live in the Midwest) and do not remember anything quite like that situation.

Please be safe.

I have no idea what Dorian will do (nobody does at the moment.) I can add my experience with Michael from 2017.

We flew in at 1pm the day the hurricane passed on the coast. Disney evacuated the parks and Orlando International cancelled all flights a few hours after we landed and closed the airport at 6pm (if I remember correctly.) The airport remained closed for a few days and we spent the first two days of our trip huddled in Clearwater Beach.

Everything depends on timing and tracking. We made it in and got lucky, although we were stuck in LA-type traffic for six hours trying to clear the Orlando area. I am from Florida (now live in the Midwest) and do not remember anything quite like that situation.

Please be safe.

What is Louisiana type traffic?

I went through Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath and I live in New Orleans. Yes this storm is very similar. And THIS could turn into a Cat. 5. I've said this on another thread. Lives are MORE important than WDW. Today is the anniversary of when Hurricane Katrina hit us. Katrina broke our levees and destroyed the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Katrina also did extensive damage 200 miles inland north of us. Hurricanes spawn tornadoes and flooding. I don't want to scare anyone just relaying facts because I've been through a bunch of Hurricanes. Please take it seriously. Thanks.

I'm here at wdw now. I have started keeping an eye on the Dorian news.
I'm supposed to fly home Monday evening.
I found the article interesting and informative since my stay is a the boardwalk inn. Regular guest room. Hoping I can stay at this resort if my flight ends up cancelled.

I'm here at wdw now. I have started keeping an eye on the Dorian news.
I'm supposed to fly home Monday evening.
I found the article interesting and informative since my stay is a the boardwalk inn. Regular guest room. Hoping I can stay at this resort if my flight ends up cancelled.
Sorry for being out of line! Why are you still at WDW? My aunt has a summer home in the Panhandle and she already flew out yesterday.

Sorry for being out of line! Why are you still at WDW? My aunt has a summer home in the Panhandle and she already flew out yesterday.
Im glad your aunt is getting to a safe place but the storm, as of right now, is forecasted to land just north of Palm Beach on Tuesday morning. It will take a while to get up to the panhandle, if it ever does. People flying out of Orlando on Monday should be fine.

Due to fly in Wednesday for 4 days. If we postpone a day or two, our Fast Passes are just gone? Trying to rebook FOP would be nearly impossible. Nothing available.

Just wanted to provide my Disney hurricane experience, hopefully it can help others.

My husband and I were staying at POFQ in 2016 when Hurricane Matthew hit. We had been there for a few days already so the hurricane came during the middle of our trip. We were at Hollywood Studios around noon when we got the announcement that they were evacuating the parks and closing them for the day. We went back to POFQ to get snacks and drinks from the gift shop, however everyone beat us to it and all that were left were some donuts, chips, beer and wine. Which was fine because it was just my husband and I. The resort restaurants closed down but they were serving boxed lunches out of the resort lobby for $12 each I believe. The line for the boxed lunches was about an hour long so we hit up the vending machine for more chips and snacks. The resort staff left a flashlight in our room which was very thoughtful.

We didn't have anything else to do but drink our beer and wine and watch the hurricane coverage on TV. There were reports that Matthew was supposed to make landfall on Orlando which had us nervous but figured we were in the safest place we could be as Disney is built to withstand hurricanes. We kept checking Disboards to see what was happening at other resorts and people were reporting that they were evacuating over the water villas at Poly and some other lower level hotel rooms that were in flood areas.

Finally around midnight, we both fell asleep fully expecting to wake up to loud wind and rain pounding our windows because we had a corner room with windows on both sides. I didn't hear anything all night and I'm a very light sleeper. I woke up a couple of times to check the forecast and weather updates but it looked as if Matthew was headed back out to sea. When we woke up the next morning, it was still raining and a little bit of wind but not too bad. We went to the lobby where they were serving a fixed breakfast of bacon, eggs, and sausage and they had characters out mingling with guests. Around 11am, the rain had stopped and they were already starting to clean up the debris. We saw on Disboards that they were going to open Disney Springs around 4pm I think, so we got ready and caught a bus to DS. As expected, all the restaurants had lines out the door but since it was just us 2, we were able to get in quickly at Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar. Our poor server was struggling but she was high level executive at Disney and didn't have any serving experience, they had pulled in all the staff that had stayed to help! We didn't care, we were just happy to be out of the hotel room.

The parks opened the next day and you couldn't even tell a large storm had come through. We were able to use our park tickets an extra day since we missed a day because of the closure and Disney gave us a night free and upgraded us to WL for the remainer of our stay + a day. The only additional expense was switching our flight, but luckily on Southwest its easy to change flights and we just had to pay $50 for each person.

All in all- it was a great experience. We were safe. We got some pixie dust out of the experience. It was probably the most fun trip I've ever been on! Disney really took care of us!

We live here (2 miles from the castle) and are spending some time today getting our house in order for the storm. Securing all the furniture on the lanai, stocking up on needed supplies, etc. Its a beautiful morning right now. A bit surreal when you think of what may be happening in just a few days.

Somewhat encouraged by the latest reports that it will make landfall a bit further down the coast and then come up through the center of the state which would weaken it significantly by the time it gets here.

Good luck everybody.

Flying in Thursday morning as of now and staying for 10 days so we're hoping we can still get in but I know it could be close. I wanted to try to add a night to the end of our trip in case our flight gets delayed/cancelled and all circuits were completely busy. Not sure if I should just make a separate one night reservation as a worst case scenario. Obviously safety comes first but definitely some stress over here as we watch this.

Hope everyone in the area is getting prepared and stays safe!

Due to fly in Wednesday for 4 days. If we postpone a day or two, our Fast Passes are just gone? Trying to rebook FOP would be nearly impossible. Nothing available.

Unfortunately, any fp's you had would be gone and you'd have to rebook with what little availability would be there. On the bright side, crowds might be lighter and reduce wait times. Best of luck to you!

I went through Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath and I live in New Orleans. Yes this storm is very similar. And THIS could turn into a Cat. 5. I've said this on another thread. Lives are MORE important than WDW. Today is the anniversary of when Hurricane Katrina hit us. Katrina broke our levees and destroyed the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Katrina also did extensive damage 200 miles inland north of us. Hurricanes spawn tornadoes and flooding. I don't want to scare anyone just relaying facts because I've been through a bunch of Hurricanes. Please take it seriously. Thanks.
Katrina didn't break the levees in NOLA. The levees were not maintained and the flooding broke the levees a few days after Katrina hit. Katrina made landfall at Waveland MS. Katrina was bad in NOLA because of the failure of NOLA politicians. Katrina made landfall early on Aug 29 and the levees broke on Aug 31. When your city is below sea level and the badly maintained levees fail, flooding is going to happen. Heading towards southern Florida, Katrina was more southerly than Dorian. Dorian looks to be further out in the Atlantic and further north than Katrina. Most of the spaghetti models have it going up through Florida and then back to the Atlantic coast.

As for Dorian, it appears to be headed right between Tampa and Orlando with Orlando being closer on the dirty side of the storm through Osceola County. It could still be a Category 1 storm at that time. If you are planning on having either a grocery run or paying a service to get you groceries to your resort location, forget it. Stores have already run out of most of the supplies you will need. Bring your own food and supplies if you are still planning on being at WDW during the hurricane. And don't come planning to tent camp or RV camp. Ft Wilderness will be close most likely. If you are staying at a resort made up of multiple buildings and/or outside corridors, you will be confined to your resort during the worst of the storm.

Remember that all those entertainers having fun with your kids might have their own families at home worrying about this storm. They are at work away from their families. Unless they are College Program kids and they are probably safer in the resorts.

Edited to add: The course of the hurricane has changed to being east of Orlando with Lake Buena Vista and WDW on the clean side of the storm now. Still a hurricane passing through Orange County though. Landfall has also shifted north to north of Jupiter

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it’s true that Disney allowed people to keep pets in their hotel rooms during Irma?

My daughter lives in the area and is considering getting a Disney hotel (which Dad has offered to pay for) for a couple of days. But her roommate has a small dog that she obviously can’t leave alone, and my daughter doesn’t want to leave her roommate by herself.

Does anyone know if it’s true that Disney allowed people to keep pets in their hotel rooms during Irma?

My daughter lives in the area and is considering getting a Disney hotel (which Dad has offered to pay for) for a couple of days. But her roommate has a small dog that she obviously can’t leave alone, and my daughter doesn’t want to leave her roommate by herself.

It's definitely true they allowed it, but I'm not sure what needs to happen for that switch to be turned on.

She may need to call the hotel she plans to book. Some accept pets anyway. During the hurricane they may direct guests to those hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter