Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

Just curious what Disney does when the winds are very high? From what I am hearing the winds could be a factor even if the storm doesn't directly impact Orlando.
When does Disney shut down the outside rides? Anyone know what the policy is for the wind speeds and rides? I know some rides shut down just with rain but just wondering if they winds are severe will they shut down most of the rides, fireworks, parades etc?

If I were you, I would cancel/reschedule and not fly into the mess tomorrow. If you call now before you are scheduled to leave, the airline will likely refund your money or waive all fees and re-book you, or give you a credit for the amount you paid to be used in the next 12 months. They won't cancel your booking on their own. If your return flight gets cancelled, it is going to be up to you to try to get yourself re-booked on a different flight-- people were on the phone for hours and hours and some could not get out for days. Everyone that was on a flight for Monday that is now cancelled are already trying to find other flights later in the week- if it is bad and the airport remains closed a couple of days and your Weds flight gets cancelled- you are competing with all the other people who are already trying to re-book from Monday and Tuesday to try to get on the earliest flight.

The hurricane isn't going to go away-- it looks like the best case scenario (and unlikely according to the spaghetti models) is that it skirts the coast and is not a direct impact. You are still likely looking at a couple of days of rain (maybe even torrential rain) and high winds even if it is not a direct hit. Less damage- but still not much fun in the parks. Having ridden out Matthew at the resort-- there is no way I would fly down there knowing that a Hurricane was coming especially for a short trip. Yes- WDW did the best they could on taking care of everyone during Matthew--- but I wouldn't exactly call it fun (at least not for DH and I). Yes, they will try to get the parks re-opened as quickly as possible-- but if they do sustain quite a bit of damage and there are tree branches and trees down in the parks-- it could talk a while to clean up and get things moving again.

This is good advice.

I agree I just watched the latest update and one of the meteorologists says that the "American model" which is more on the west coast and the "Euro model" on the east coast trending right off the coast suggests they could meet in the middle and have it come up on the east coast and inland all the way up. He did say there still is a few more days this could change.

Even if it were to skirt up the east coast, will that just help it keep it intensity? A slow moving cat 3-4 up the coast would still be horrific, right?

Just curious if anyone knows how high the winds have to get before Disney will close the parks? We were there during Jeanne, but can't remember. Thanks!

If it does skirt up the east coast, wonder where landfall would most likely be? Or if it was to hit land at all? Georgia, the Carolinas?

It could be anywhere.

Even if it were to skirt up the east coast, will that just help it keep it intensity? A slow moving cat 3-4 up the coast would still be horrific, right?

Yes, beyond bad. There are barrier islands that would be moved/gone. The whole landscape of the coast would/could change and the flooding would be a huge diasaster.

What happens to your pending flights?

We are scheduled to fly out of MCO Wednesday night.
I understand that's probably not happening, but we have been waiting to reschedule as we weigh our options.

We fly down tomorrow morning. Now that the airport is closing, will they cancel my entire booking (including tomorrows ticket) or just the flight home?

Can I just leave my Wednesday flight sit there and figure it out later still? Or am I forced to make a decision now that they are closing Monday?

Whether you decide it's best to go or not is a choice only you can make so I'll leave that alone. MCO has not set a re-opening date and likely won't until after this storm is no longer a threat and they assess any damage and how long it will be until they can re-open. If it's before Wednesday, then your flight remains booked as it is. You don't have to make that decision now, only if the airport is closed when your flight is scheduled to leave. You just have to decide if the possibility that you many not be able to return on Wednesday is a problem and how long you can reasonably be delayed coming home. Since the storm is so unpredictable right now, you have to consider outside possibilities- that it slows down and doesn't hit when it's currently predicted to, that it's stronger than they expect it will be and that it may take several days for you to get a flight home past when you are scheduled to leave. Best of luck to you, I know it's not fun to deal with!

Camp sites, Treehouses (SSprings), Cabins (CCV), Bungalows (Poly), ESPN, Blizzard Beach - Update just posted on FB

Orlando International Airport plans to cease commercial flight operations on Monday, September 2, 2019 at 2 a.m.

Be safe, all that are still planning their trips. The airport closes in about 50 hours, and no idea when it will reopen, so please bring things you need in case you are stuck inside a motel room for a day or two (or more).

Florida is in a state of emergency, both State and Federal, and I’m watching the local weather from far away to see how my house handles it. I’ll be happy if my house doesn’t blow away or sustain major damage.

I would highly recommend not coming to Florida right now, as some people are evacuating, some are cleaning out Home Depot and grocery stores, and gas stations won’t have gas. But if you’re coming, please plan accordingly.

Make sure you have medicine that you need, drinking water, and snacks and things, because stores in Orlando (if open) won’t have them by Sunday evening.

Texas gulf coast mama here. I cannot imagine purposefully heading toward a storm. I just cannot. We have areas STILL recovering from Harvey, 2 years later. The slow-moving, rain-dumping storms are the worst kind. I get the love for Disney, and the agony of cancelling. But it’s dangerous, y’all! And that’s an expensive vacation to burn potentially sitting in a hotel, no matter that it happens to be a Disney hotel. The locals will need all of the resources they can get for a while after this storm, and then when they are ready they’ll need your tourism dollars. (I live in a high tourism area too, and really we do not need extra people around when we are in dire straits ourselves.). Help them out by staying away, and keep yourself safe.
New Orleanian here & I can’t agree more especially not a 4 or 5! And I was thinking it also puts an extra strain of FL’s resources. That has to be frustrating for FL officials.

We saw many caravans of electric trucks heading south on I-95 today on our drive back up north, so help us on the way. Also saw many cars and RVs with Florida plates heading out. For those who are Florida residents, and those who plan on riding out the storm at Disney I wish you all the best. Stay safe everyone!

A region preparing for a hurricane is almost like a family who is struggling to care for a sick loved one or preparing for a death.

We appreciate others concern, but really are consumed with meeting basic needs for the unknown and several days. Lines for gas, empty store shelves, searching several places for needed supplies, worry, fatigue, anxiety, preparing your home, adjusting work schedules, protecting your workplace, unexpected expenses take a toll.

In my experience of caring for a loved one very sick for 3 weeks, it was overwhelming and I just needed our family wrapped in bubble wrap and ignored a lot of other expected interactions, meetings, etc. Same with a hurricane. All the extra stuff is just stuff.

Hello! Live in central canada, so I’ve never had to deal with hurricanes before. We were planning on flying to Orlando on Friday the 6th. Will the hurricane still be an issue or will we JUST miss it?

Just curious what Disney does when the winds are very high? From what I am hearing the winds could be a factor even if the storm doesn't directly impact Orlando.
When does Disney shut down the outside rides? Anyone know what the policy is for the wind speeds and rides? I know some rides shut down just with rain but just wondering if they winds are severe will they shut down most of the rides, fireworks, parades etc?
There are rides that close for heavy winds even if no rain (Rock n roller coaster comes to mind but I’m sure there are others), and it has happened that winds prevent fireworks, parades, and other outdoor events. I don’t think there’s one specific wind speed, I think it varies by attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter