Hurricane Dorian FINALLY moving - updates pg 10

ds
The pictures and video coming out of the Bahamas is unimaginable devastation. It has been completely obliterated.
My brother owns property in Treasure Cay. Its our second home. Communication is tough because cell service is down and satellite phones don't work well in the weather they are still having. Roads are washed away and people are just trying to clear areas to land helicopters. Here in Miami, everyone just working together to find out who is safe and passing along information.
If anyone wants to donate, they need humanitarian supplies. First aid, water, food and shelter.

MCO to open at noon today. Check your individual flights for status but at least an official opening has been announced.
Right, but it's going to take time for flights to get back to normal.

Airlines moved a lot of equipment and crews away from Florida, and are probably continuing to reposition them up the coast, so that's a huge disruption. Also, American and Southwest are still struggling with the 737 Max groundings and that restricts their ability to rebound after a hurricane.

So be patient, and understand that the airlines will do the best they can, but they are working under a LOT of duress and will be for a while.

A CAUTION ABOUT FRAUD

We will be seeing overwhelming news media coverage and a lot of heartbreaking stories coming out of the Bahamas for the next several weeks. There will be numerous requests for assistance, and unfortunately some of them will be fraudulent.

Every major disaster creates a massive opportunity for fraud and this one will be no different.

Be sure that any donations you make are to a legitimate, long-established organization.
Examples include the Red Cross, Salvation Army, various United Way units, etc. Those organizations are not only legit, but they also have the infrastructure to actually deliver aid to those who need it.

DO NOT give money to any Go Fund Me or similar website no matter how legit it may look. It is a very simple matter to copy photos from the Internet and create a very compelling website for fraud.

The BEST thing to give is money. There have been appeals already for food, sanitary supplies, etc, but those things will be provided by South Florida and by the US, British, and Bahamian governments. Supplies donated to well-meaning organizations just pile up in warehouses and create a logistical nightmare. Money is much more flexible and helpful.

But be sure the gift you give will actually matter. Give to well-established organizations.

A CAUTION ABOUT FRAUD

We will be seeing overwhelming news media coverage and a lot of heartbreaking stories coming out of the Bahamas for the next several weeks. There will be numerous requests for assistance, and unfortunately some of them will be fraudulent.

Every major disaster creates a massive opportunity for fraud and this one will be no different.

Be sure that any donations you make are to a legitimate, long-established organization.
Examples include the Red Cross, Salvation Army, various United Way units, etc. Those organizations are not only legit, but they also have the infrastructure to actually deliver aid to those who need it.

DO NOT give money to any Go Fund Me or similar website no matter how legit it may look. It is a very simple matter to copy photos from the Internet and create a very compelling website for fraud.

The BEST thing to give is money. There have been appeals already for food, sanitary supplies, etc, but those things will be provided by South Florida and by the US, British, and Bahamian governments. Supplies donated to well-meaning organizations just pile up in warehouses and create a logistical nightmare. Money is much more flexible and helpful.

But be sure the gift you give will actually matter. Give to well-established organizations.
Thank you, Jim. A timely reminder.

Now that the threat here has passed, I’m largely checking out of the Dis to enjoy my bonus 2 days of vacation.

But, I just want to thank @JimMIA for all the information and constant updates here. I hope all will be well for you and your family.

I’ll second, third and fourth that. My daughter and son-in-law just left Chicago Midway on their way home. Got off the Allure early this morning, flew from Fort Lauderdale to Midway, and now they’re on their last leg home.

Mama can relax now. They’re coming home.

I’ll second, third and fourth that. My daughter and son-in-law just left Chicago Midway on their way home. Got off the Allure early this morning, flew from Fort Lauderdale to Midway, and now they’re on their last leg home.

Mama can relax now. They’re coming home.
YAY!

And of course I spoke too soon. I thought they were in the air. Turned out they hit a flock of birds and had to go back.

They’re on a new plane. I think they’re in the air now. But this time, I’m not going to relax until they’re actually home.

And of course I spoke too soon. I thought they were in the air. Turned out they hit a flock of birds and had to go back.

They’re on a new plane. I think they’re in the air now. But this time, I’m not going to relax until they’re actually home.
Never too late for a Mom to worry!

One day you’ll all be able to laugh about all this, but hang in there today!

They made it home. Safe and sound.

They had a great, extended vacation. My daughter was supposed to get a day off to recuperate. That’s not going to happen.

Flew into Tampa Tuesday night with no issues. Drive to WDW yesterday morning. No wind or rain the whole way. Spent the day at the Polynesian pool. Today we are at MK walking on rides. The park is basically empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter