Hurricane Dorian and Irma

Anyone else think that hurricanes will be becoming more frequent and stronger in the future? September and October could eventually become a real gamble every single year.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............:(

Well, I made the call and cancelled my VGF GV and it was depressing to do that.

I also am trying to cancel my Sept 2 MNSSHP, but the wait time is 90 minutes.

Anyone else think that hurricanes will be becoming more frequent and stronger in the future? September and October could eventually become a real gamble every single year.

Yes, it’s already happening. Places that don’t normally get hurricanes, or at least not highly damaging ones are getting them (think Hurricane Sandy. The higher temperature of the oceans create greater disturbances and more frequently higher intensity storms. Europe has had 2 years of “the highest ever” temperatures in the last two summers, and the ocean is warmer faster than expected. We can definitely plan on more hurricanes and tropical storms in the future. From Labor Day weekend to October is already a gamble in Florida, but it should be worse in the future.

Yes, it’s already happening. Places that don’t normally get hurricanes, or at least not highly damaging ones are getting them (think Hurricane Sandy. The higher temperature of the oceans create greater disturbances and more frequently higher intensity storms. Europe has had 2 years of “the highest ever” temperatures in the last two summers, and the ocean is warmer faster than expected. We can definitely plan on more hurricanes and tropical storms in the future. From Labor Day weekend to October is already a gamble in Florida, but it should be worse in the future.
Ya, I agree. My desire to live in Florida at some point is really growing less and less now. I can't imagine going through this type of storm every single year down there, but I have a feeling that is what the future holds for the state.

Ya, I agree. My desire to live in Florida at some point is really growing less and less now. I can't imagine going through this type of storm every single year down there, but I have a feeling that is what the future holds for the state.

I’m definitely on pins and needles watching the path and hoping that my house makes it, but I’m far away from the storm and my family is safe. My house is just a house, although not insurable due to the location, so if I lose everything- it’s just a house. The financial hit is dire, if it happens. But my family is safe and that’s really all that matters.

It’s way too early to tell where Dorian is heading.

August and September is the peak time for hurricanes.
Why did no one mention this when I was buying an August use year at DVC? Ah well, no regrets. Like they say, smaller crowds and open ADRs.

We’ve been here 15 years and I would move back to Michigan in a second if given the chance. It’s storming violently here right now and the hurricane is days away.

Why did no one mention this when I was buying an August use year at DVC? Ah well, no regrets. Like they say, smaller crowds and open ADRs.

An August UY is still good for October, November, December, January and February, right? We have September, and January/February are our favorite months to visit!

I’m definitely on pins and needles watching the path and hoping that my house makes it, but I’m far away from the storm and my family is safe. My house is just a house, although not insurable due to the location, so if I lose everything- it’s just a house. The financial hit is dire, if it happens. But my family is safe and that’s really all that matters.
Not insurable? What?

We’ve been here 15 years and I would move back to Michigan in a second if given the chance. It’s storming violently here right now and the hurricane is days away.
If this hurricane scenario does become much more frequent, more intense, ect in the years, decades to come, it makes me wonder if there might be a significant exodus from the state of Florida to states north of it such as Georgia and Tennessee. Just a thought.

No. They aren't.
Don't think there is the chance of hurricanes ramping up in numbers and strength in the years to come? Or September/October not becoming a real gamble? I think climate change will affect hurricane season, but it might not be just confined to those two months.

No. Just no.
Well I will have to disagree with you on part of that. The September/October time frame, maybe not, but more frequent, stronger hurricanes, I do believe could be the future. I could be wrong, or it could take a while longer, but I do believe this will come to fruition.

No. Just no.

Simple science dictates that higher ocean temperatures will eventually lead not necessarily to more hurricanes, but certainly more intense ones. Over time, more tropical storms that would never develop into hurricanes will, and more hurricanes that would in the past develop to Cat 1 or 2 will develop into super storms.

It's scientific fact.

Irma update....it is headed directly to Orlando and estimated to hit at exactly on Sunday at 3pm when I am scheduled to check-in at VGF

I hope you didn’t cancel your Villa for Dorian. They now have it skirting the coast and going to the Carolinas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter