Hurricane Dennis spoiled my vacation

Disneycatlady

Mouseketeer
I was supposed to drive to New Orleans today from South Florida to the Windsor Court Hotel ( in the concierge collection) but Hurricane Dennis got in the way and I had to cancel the reservation!! Thankfully the DVC gave me back all my points without a penalty. So- we thought we would let the hurricane pass and drive to Orlando on Monday or Tuesday BUT- as of yesterday at 5:PM- the DVC had nothing available in any DVC resort or in the other delux or moderate resorts so I was so bummed I was crying on the phone. The only way we can go to WDW is to stay OFF PROPERTY which I havent done in 10 years and would spoil the whole experience for me.

Its my 20th anniversary so we wanted to do something special. We even considered flying to Disneyland- I have never been there- but there was nothing available in any hotel- again - I cant consider off property for my first time at Disneyland.

So right now I thought I'd vent to you guys- Maybe the DVC will have something open up early on Monday so I will check then- but if not- we might end up going to busch gardens in Tampa or possibly Universal - the
Hard Rock has availability right now for next week.

I REALLY REALLY wanted to go to Disney- we both have this coming week off and I am so bummed- Thanks for listening.

That sucks, but do plan to come and visit our city again. I don't think we're going to be affected much by the storm (keeping fingers crossed and hotel reservations, just in case) but the drive over would probably be problematic. Could you fly in?

I hope something opens up for you at WDW at least. Good luck!

Thanks LuLu- cant fly in because we were going to drop a daughter off in Tallahassee on the drive over which we still might do on Sunday or Monday- but then drive back to Orlando or Tampa instead of on to New Orleans- I would like to visit the city sometime in the future- I have neve been there and I love jazz!!

Geez, what rotten timing! I will keep my fingers crossed for you that something opens up @ WDW.

unbranded-happy-anniversary-foil-balloon.jpg

did you ask about VB or HH ? you may have a very hard time because everyone from the south of orlando probably came up to orlando because of the hurricane. I am sorry you couldnt get ressies at a dvc resort, sending pixie dust :wizard:

what a bummer. I sure hope something comes thru for you. You should do something fun for your 20th. Hope it all works out.

Well first, I'm glad DVC gave you your points back! And yes, I understand that Disney is always good about that kind of thing, but lots of other resorts aren't.

Next...if you really can't stand the thought of staying offsite, then just keep calling. Is EVERYTHING at Saratoga Springs booked? Call several times a day..and then check for cash discounted rooms at DVC resorts too, because I think a cancellation within 30 days..the room goes to cash only. And while you were crying on the phone, did you explain to MS that while you were cancelling New Orleans that you were willing to just 'switch' to anythign in WDW? Sometimes the sympathy magic finds an open room.

Last...so many people have such great things to say about Hard Rock and other Universal Hotels...especially with front of the line pass in summer. Better than sitting home , right? :goodvibes

Good luck, drat those hurricanes, keep trying!

We were supposed to head home from SSR in June when TS Arlene hit the AL Gulfcoast. We were supposed to stay at the beach for four nights. Well, we cancelled the beach and thought maybe we could stay at WDW instead for three more nights. So we called OKW that the night before we were supposed to leave and they had one bedrooms available. MS was already closed by the time we thought of staying.

The next morning we went over to OKW, but our available points were messed up, so we had to call MS. When we talked to them, we asked them if there might be any vacancies at BCV. Sure enough, they had a one bedroom and we got it for three nights. Keep trying to call MS and the resorts as you get closer. You might find something has opened up.

Or could you use your points at a Disney Collection hotel? Say the Contemporary or something?

Thanks for all your good wishes- As of now we are leaving tomorrow morning and driving my daughter to Tallahassee (She is enrolled in a band camp for the week)- I am going to call MS at 9:00 AM on Monday morning and see if anything has opened up at WDW- if not- we currently have reservations at a hotel in Tampa and will go to Busch Gardens and do the coasters for a couple of days. We will probably end up in Orlando at the end of the week and stay offsite if necessary. We are going to go to a AAA office in Tallahassee also on Monday morning and see if we can get reservations in one of the Universal Hotels- I'd rather give my $$ to Disney- but if not I'll settle for the Hard Rock etc.

I'll let you all know what happened when we return after the 18th- thanks again for all your good wishes and have a magical week.

GOOD LUCK!!!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter