Hurricane Cancelling Cruise- Insurance Question

Napoleon Dynamite

Mouseketeer
Trying to get our ducks in a row. Looks like Maria *could* have an impact on our cruise this week, and it could potentially get cancelled. We have third party insurance (NOT through Disney). We are flying to Orlando from NY. Getting on cruise following morning. After our cruise, we have two nights at WDW booked (rented DVC points, non refundable), also a one day park ticket, and a Halloween party ticket. If cruise gets cancelled, Disney refunds us for cruise. My trip insurance should pay out for the other items though correct? Although I'm hoping Disney would let us switch Halloween party dates, so we really just need to be refunded for the DVC. I'm second guessing it, since if it's ONLY the cruise cancelled, not the airline, or WDW stuff, that they might not pay. Anyone with experience?

It totally depends on what insurance policy you purchased - you need to read the entire policy. No two insurance policies are equal, many insurance companies offer several levels of coverage and will even allow you to customize your insurance to your plans. If you don't understand the policy, call the provider. Nobody on here will be able to answer the question for you accurately. We are in the same boat (literally & figuratively). Our 3rd party insurance covers us from leaving our house to returning to our house and everything in between for cancellation(any reason), delay, interruption, accident, illness, death, etc. If you only covered your cruise, you will definately not have any benefits for the post-cruise portion. Good Luck!

Mine also covers from the time we leave home until the time we get back. But, I'm questioning it because *I* would be choosing to cancel the flight and the hotel tacked on after our cruise because the cruise is cancelled, and the only reason we are traveling is because of the cruise. I don't have cancel for ANY reason coverage. Only trip cancellation with the typical reasons (company cancels, sick, injured, etc. etc. )

It depends on the policy. In the list of approved cancellation reasons, it should address cancellation by carrier (DCL in this case). This is where you will find your answer.

I agree with PP -- you should contact the insurance directly to confirm what coverage you have. PP mentions having "cancel for any reason" coverage. Also be aware that such coverage may not provide full reimbursement. You would want to know this in case it impacts your decision.

Enjoy your cruise and parks vacation!

Call you insurance provider for the best and correct answers, related to your unique circumstances. IMO

Good Luck

I too will be calling the insurance provider. Our family is to cruise on the Dream leaving Fri. Hurricane Maria is not making it look good for Friday. Also I'm using DVC points and cash for 2 cabins. I'm stressed about a cancellation.

We, too, are booked on the Dream for the Sept. 22nd sailing. I tried to call Disney Cruise Line this morning, was on hold for 1 hour and 48 minutes. Never got a human on the line. No answer to email request other than the boilerplate "thanks for your inquiry, we'll get back to you". We live locally so only have cruise covered by insurance. Was told by insurance company that, if Disney cancels and offers a refund, insurance will not apply. I hope Maria goes away but it does not seem likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter