• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Huntington or Newport Beach?

michray

Earning My Ears
I have a 7 - 5 - 2 year olds. I was planning on going to Huntington but someone mentioned Newport (Balboa) was better. If you've been to both help me decide which one. I heard Huntington has some free parking does the Balboa area? Does Huntington have bathrooms?

Huntington has more bathrooms & has all day parking w/ ample space. Newport is great but stay close to the pier for bathrooms & eateries. Parking is metered unless a parking lot nearby is charging (awesome if they are) - near the Spaghetti Factory there's 2 but the fill fast.

Newport is closer to Balboa. You can go to Balboa but because of The Wedge the waves are huge. Great for surfers, bad for little ones.
Balboa Fun Zone has a Merry Go Round & Ferris Wheel, after that it's boat tours & arcades. We love it, but our kids are older now too.

Corona del Mar Big Beach (look it up) isn't TOO far from there & the waves are tame there and there's also ample parking.

Because we hang at all those beaches in the summer, near 4th of July I've seen them at their best & their worst. I see HB (near Main St only) as party central..NB is a close second unless you go to the low numbers (8th St) away from the pier. Balboa is fun for families, but again, the waves can be daunting. My choice for families w/ little ones is Corona del Mar Big Beach...ALL the way!

Oh didn't know about the huge waves...probably not a good idea since my kids are little.

Any free parking at Corona?

With little ones, I'd do Huntington. Great beach feel, lots of restrooms, food, etc. I think all day parking next to the sand is $15. Depending on time of year it might be less.

The amount of walking to get from the free parking to the beach in HB is going to be more than small kids are capable of. Balboa has some metered parking (by the pier) if you're not planning to stay all day, but I don't know how quickly that would add up near the daily fee of either beach.

PHXscuba

My family enjoyed Huntington Beach. There were plenty of other families having a blast there too. We didn't have to search for parking and the parking rate was reasonable. My kids thought eating at Ruby's on the pier was cool.:)

Hi and welcome to the DIS. I'm going to move this to our Southern California section of the boards. You have received some great information, and might find some other threads that will interest you regarding oru beaches. :flower:

In the past, the lot at Warner & PCH in HB has been free. I generally bike to the beach so it's been a couple of years since I've tried to park there.

I'd definitely recommend Newport. I've been vacationing there since childhood and my husband and I return with our three boys regularly. Our boys are now ages 4 to 12, but we've taken them to Newport as young as 6 months old. The Wedge is at the very tip of the Newport peninsula and we only go there to watch the surfers - not to get in the water with kids.

Because Newport is a peninsula, it has two sides - the calm, quiet waters of the bay side and the waves on the ocean side. Since childhood, I've been boogie boarding in the waves on the ocean side and swimming in the bay. While Huntington beaches are situated between the ocean and a busy street, Newport beaches are situated between the ocean and the sidewalk or the bay and a quiet residential street. I've been to Huntington several times and I'm far more comfortable at Newport with kids. If you park near 15th Street in Newport, you'll have relatively clean public restrooms, the Stuft Surfer for burgers or snacks, the 15th Street Surf Shop for rentals and Fry's Market for sunscreen, sand toys, snacks, etc. - all right there! And the Newport Elementary School playground is right there at 13th Street on the beach. Perfect for kids! If you prefer the quiet, calm bay side, visit the public beach at 10th street on the bay - it doesn't get much more calm than the Newport Harbor!

Then add the Balboa Fun Zone - arcades, rides, Ruby's restaurant on the pier. And then throw in the ferry ride to Balboa Island from the fun zone - great views of the harbor, followed by a walk along the bay to Marine Avenue on the island. Once on Marine Avenue, our kids love the toy store, the candy store and the frozen bananas and ice cream at Dad's. And for dinner, there's the Crab Cooker near the Newport Pier. Great seafood, but very casual and highly kid-friendly!

For all these reasons, I highly recommend Newport!

Corona Del Mar and Newport for sure!

CDM
IMG_8012.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

Newport
IMG_8065.jpg

Took Sunset Cruise from Newport
IMG_8098.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter