Hungarian Goulash

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Does anyone have a true Hungarian Goulash recipe? My mil passed away before I could get her recipe. No one else in the family knows it. But I would LOVE to have a real Hungarian recipe if anyone knows of one.

i do not have a recipie but will suggest that when it comes to the paprika it is so beneficial to get a good quality smoked-the flavor is phenominal. smoked paprika is one of the only spices i buy by the oz. at a local tea and spice store. it is WELL worth the extra cost for the flavor it adds to recipies that call for it.

I wish I could help, we were in Budapest last year and the Goulash we had there was phenomenal! Of course we came home with all the requisite paprika spices, but I haven't much come close to replicating it.
I think this is the recipe I tried (admittedly, only tried it once). Now, it tasted ok, but not nearly as good as what we had over there. I should probably try making it again, I'm not the worlds greatest chef so it might be me and not the recipe!!

https://www.bestofhungary.co.uk/blogs/recipes/traditional-hungarian-goulash

I wish I could help, we were in Budapest last year and the Goulash we had there was phenomenal! Of course we came home with all the requisite paprika spices, but I haven't much come close to replicating it.
I think this is the recipe I tried (admittedly, only tried it once). Now, it tasted ok, but not nearly as good as what we had over there. I should probably try making it again, I'm not the worlds greatest chef so it might be me and not the recipe!!

https://www.bestofhungary.co.uk/blogs/recipes/traditional-hungarian-goulash
You definitely need Hungarian paprika. We keep both the sweet and hot at home and it's used for EVERYTHING!!! Thank you for the recipe!

I copied this from NYTimes Cooking which is a subscriber site; I could have “gifted“ this to you but c+p is easier. A review of the recipe that gives context and some nice add ons:

“As a Hungarian, I am cooking goulash all the time. This recipe is the closest I have ever read in an English language description.
However, I never used lemon juice or flour. But more onion, never sliced but chopped, 1 small fresh tomato and a slice of yellow or green pepper. We always serve it with gnocchi, or boiled potato.”

Hungarian Goulash

INGREDIENTS​

Yield:4 servings
  • 2teaspoons unsalted butter
  • 2medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
  • 1teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1pound beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • ¼cup all-purpose flour
  • 2cups beef broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
  • 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
  • ¼teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Add to Your Grocery List
Ingredient Substitution Guide
Nutritional Information

PREPARATION​

1. Step 1
    Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 10 minutes. Stir in the paprika and caraway seeds and cook 1 minute more. In a bowl, toss the beef with the flour to coat well. Add the beef to the onion mixture. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

• Step 2
      Add ½ cup of the broth, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot. Gradually stir in the remaining broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender, about 1½ hours. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Serve over wide egg noodles.

Make sure your paprika is fresh before using and store in fridge or freezer to retain freshness.

HTH

I've used this recipe. I didn't have the right paprika, so it didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped, but that's my fault not the recipe's. I think it would also be better with a spicier pepper than Bell peppers.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/traditional-hungarian-goulash-gulyas/
I buy my paprikas online from a Penzey related site called https://www.thespicehouse.com/. It’s located in Chicago and has an excellent reputation. Order flat pack and delivery will be free.

Nice reading linked recipe above. I’d love to try adding caraway seeds.

Probably can find a lot of recipe choices online. Don't have a specific recipe handy, but it mostly uses beef/broth & paprika. Some versions are more like a beef stew while others come out thinner and more like soup. Smoked paprika can add an odd burnt taste to cooked food, so I prefer the 'sweet' paprika instead.

Like others here, I strongly recommend paprika from Hungary (we have a ton of sweet and spicy that we bought in Budapest last year and will be flying back to get more when we run out). But thank you for this recipe. We have mainly made Paprikash but will try this too.

Like others here, I strongly recommend paprika from Hungary (we have a ton of sweet and spicy that we bought in Budapest last year and will be flying back to get more when we run out). But thank you for this recipe. We have mainly made Paprikash but will try this too.
If you have any other Hungarian recipes, I'll welcome them too!!!!

I have a Paprikash recipe that my Hungarian wife swears by. I'll send it over.
Here you go. We like to make it with spätzle (noodles) and I can send the recipe
For that of you want it. One caveat, try and find some paprika from Hungary. The domestic stuff just isn’t the same.
IMG_2667.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2668.jpeg
    IMG_2668.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1
I got this from my MIL who got it from her MIL who was Hungarian/Romanin.
I use carrots and potato because we like it that way but I am pretty sure they don't belong in authentic - same goes for the ketchup and the olive oil, I think the 1800s original took it with her from the old country version had lard.

This works fine in a plain pot or a slow cooker as well.
2 lbs beef cubes Salt and pepper
2 TBSP olive oil ¾ teaspoon marjoram
4 TBSP flour 1 can beef broth
1 chopped onion
2 TBSP paprika 4 potatoes cut in 1.5 inch cubes
1 ½ TBSP Lemon juice ½ bag baby carrots
1 nice squeeze of ketchup a dab of sour cream(optional
1 bag of no yolks wide egg noodles or dumplings

Put meat cubes into a plastic bag with flour and shake to cover.
Put oil into a nonstick skillet and sauté onions, then add paprika and sauté about 3 minutes to sweeten/soften the spice, then add the beef cubes on top to brown a little bit & set aside a few minutes.
Put the little grate into the pressure cooker bottom to prevent burning, put the potatoes and carrots on the bottom then put the beef/onion and paprika mixture on top.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, marjoram, lemon juice and ketchup.
Pour broth on top.

Put on stove and start with it on high until the top gets to rocking sort of quickly (about 10 minutes or so) when it does then lower flame to about level 4 to keep it rocking steadily then time it at this point for 20 minutes.

Boil the noodles separately and when strained set aside.
Once the pot has been going for 20 minutes or so you can hold it carefully under the cold water faucet for a few minutes until you hear the rush of steam escape and the little black button relaxes & its safe to open. I usually set it down and let the water run over it a few minutes more. Now you can open the lid and pour out the goulash into a more manageable bowl. If you leave it in the pot you may have a hard time getting to the gravy under the grate.
Plate noodles, scoop goulash on top the add sour cream(optional)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter