HS Question: to skip or not to skip

If you had park hoppers, I would totally say go in for the few rides. But right now with the construction, it's really missing some of the magic and not worth a full day unless you plan on doing those rides multiple times.

We always get park hoppers when going to Disney because we like to have the flexibility to pop in out of parks as we please + we really enjoy a lot of the restaurants at the world show case and will go to Epcot just for dinner and maybe ride Soarin' post dinner.

We are always torn on HS. We love RnR and TSMM. Besides that, the park doesn't do much for us as we don't care about the shows. Last time we went, we rope dropped AK and finished up by noon and went over to HS for the rest of the day. You may want to consider getting 1 park hopper day to do something like this. If not, I would skip it

You could combine it with a resort/rest day. Spend the morning, early afternoon at the pool, then head to HS for the rides you enjoy and F! or Star Wars Spectacular.
I have a feeling this is what we will end up doing. We are doing a park a day and HS is our last day. My guess is we will be tired so will probably just go and do the rides and muppets a few times, eat lunch at sci fi drive in and then leave to go rest at the hotel and maybe be back in time to catch 5:30 kickback meal at Drury. We kinda wanted to see the first night of the Jingle Bam but waiting around till 8 or 9 might be a stretch to find things to do and not be wore out

I'm in the minority but I'd say go. I know there isn't a ton going on but with TOT, RnR, Star Tours, Toy Story, the rides are still worth it for me. Fantasmic is also awesome and there are some really unique dining experiences in the park. This park will be something to behold in a few years but it still has some tricks up it's sleeves.

Yes, I think you're making a mistake. If you said you always went before, the only "ride" that has closed recently is GMRR. The other things that disappeared were never really used much anyway. If you don't like the rides that are still there, then don't go. But I'd go just for RnR, Star Tours, TSMM, ToT...even if I didn't like the shows (which I do).

Fully agree.

@puck292 : So okay, GMR is gone as are the Streets of America but unless you spent there at least half of your day before closing, it doesn't make any sense to me to skip DHS now because these 2 closures. Assuming your kids at these ages are more into thrills - as you mentioned you like the rides - then I personally would never skip DHS. At least I think there is no equivalent to RnRC and ToT at Disney World and I could ride it several times in a row.
As other says do a further (half) day there and the other half at pools or Springs or upgrade to hoppers.

Keep in mind the responses here. Skip it, skip it, skip it. That is what a lot of people are doing.

And that is precisely the reason why I think now is a great time to go.

I was going to skip in in July, but decided last minute to head over and see the Pixar music show. That was one of the best days I had on that trip. Crowds were super low. It was so nice to walk around a park without having someone plow over me. I could walk freely down the pathways. It was a nice respite from the crowds at the other parks.

I was able to get fastpass after fastpass- even in the late afternoon (this was after I had already used my first three and gotten a fourth at Epcot). Lines were short anyway, but I didn't wait for anything because I just kept getting fastpasses. Every ride was available for fastpasses on a July afternoon, including Toy Story, RnRC, and ToT.

Once Star Wars Land opens, it will be crazy over there. Why not enjoy the peace and fun you can have now without having to fight the masses?

And Fantasmic or the Star Wars fireworks are such great shows. A few rides and one of those shows, plus a meal at Sci Fi, are definitely worth the price of a ticket, even if you skip all the shows.

If the 17yo and 20yo don't want thrill rides, you can skip it. But it's pretty hard to make up for RNRC and TOT elsewhere at WDW. My kid rides RnRC coaster back to back 7 or 8 times in a row (and has since he was 6), but we always park hop, usually spreading DHS over one morning and one evening.

We have grown to love DHS much more since all the 'closings', go figure. With the exception of GMR. I still loved that one.
We like how compact it feels, love the food and atmosphere of the park and my family would not let a WDW go by without RNR, TOT and Fantasmic!! We regularly see B&B and Indy as well.
Kid still love Star Tours and of course meeting Sorcerer Mickey! All the Star Wars characters especially the March of the first order.

What about Toy Story Mania? Does your family not like it? There is also a small chance that the new Toy Story Land will be open or in preview in May. My guess is it will open memorial day weekend, but it may open sooner. With fastpass+ and rope drop you can easily ride all four rides once, but you would have plenty of time to ride again. If you compare it to Epcot you have its Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space. The other rides are more like shows or educational which also probably doesn't interest you older children.

I would go to HS and stay as long as you like, visit Disney Springs and return to HS in the evening for Star Wars projection/Fireworks or Fantasmic and maybe a few more rides.

If we only had 5 days and no park hoppers we'd do 2 MK 2 EP & 1 AK. For us we'd enjoy that 2nd day at EP more than a day at DHS, but YMMV.

Having said that, I'd be trying to figure out how to work a 6th day in there. ;) We do like DHS, even with the closures and construction. It's my favorite park in terms of architecture and we love RnRC, ToT, TSM and Fantasmic. GMR...:(

Can you add the hopper and do 1/2 day at EP and 1/2 at DHS? I know the hopper's expensive, but we'd probably consider that if we were in your shoes.

For us, the major rides are still all there. 36 more days until we're there. Doing all parks, multiple times!:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter