HS Night Strategy

kmzoe

Earning My Ears
Hello all, this site has been so helpful for me with planning.

I have a question about fitting things in at HS near closing.

We are going on a Monday, and we do not have FP for Slinky Dog. We are debating trying to rope drop SDD vs going near park closing.

We have dinner reservations at 50s Prime Time at 6:50 pm, and the park closes at 8:30 that day. I'm hoping we can finish dinner then go get in line for SDD just before park closing. But, we would also really like to see Star Wars Galactic Spectacular, which says it starts at 9pm. Does this sound remotely feasible? We don't need to have a perfect spot for Star Wars. Would we be able to see any of it from SDD area if we are still in line or still around there? Do you think it's impossible to fit all that in in one evening, and we should choose one or the other?

Thanks for any advice!

I checked the Touring Plans stats from yesterday for an example. The posted wait on Slinky a half hour before closing time was 20 minutes. Posted waits are intentionally exaggerated at night so the actual wait was probably 10 minutes of less.

You’ll probably have plenty of time unless you’re visiting during a busy period.

Thanks! Sounds encouraging for doing SDD at night. We are going the day after Easter, so likely pretty busy, but hopefully not too bad!

I don't put much stock in the projected wait times on Touring Plans, but for comparison purposes here's some interesting numbers:

Projected wait time near closing on Monday, 4/8 - 95 minutes
Posted wait time near closing on Monday, 4/8 - 20 minutes
Actual wait - unknown, but likely less than 20

Project wait time near closing on Monday 4/22 - 70 minutes

This gives the appearance that TP expects DHS to be less crowded on the Monday after Easter than it was this week. Take that for what it's worth, but I'll still bet you'll have plenty of time for dinner, Slinky and Star Wars fireworks. Don't forget that the waits for Toy Story Mania drop to near nothing in the evening also. You might want to find time to ride it a couple more times while you're in the area.

My coworker just got back from a trip last week. She tried to do what you are suggesting and was able to see part of the show but not all of it. They arrived in front of the theater a few minutes after it started. If you're ok with that, your plan may work. If seeing the whole show is important to you, I'd try to rope drop or pick up a SDD FP by refreshing.

Just to update on SDD closing time wait. We did our dinner at 50s Prime Time at 6:50. We had to skip dessert to make it out on time, but made it to SDD line at 8:26 just before 8:30 closing. We waited 27 minutes in line. We got off and moved towards the front of the theater and were just coming up the steps from TSL when the show started with the bang. We were still able to get a good position, so it all worked out great. This was the day after Easter, seemed pretty busy most of the day.

Can I ask if the park closes at 8:30, how are you still in it for a 9pm show? Do they juts **** the rides down?
Yes. They do Fantasmic at closing time and the Star Wars fireworks show 30 minutes later, although it's pretty tough to catch both of them.

Can I ask if the park closes at 8:30, how are you still in it for a 9pm show? Do they juts **** the rides down?

DAK and DHS routinely have nighttime spectaculars (Star Wars, RoL, etc) that take place after park closing. It’s generally part of the schedule/standard operating procedure at those two parks.

You can get in a ride line right up until park closing.

Funny autocorrect. :-)

DAK and DHS routinely have nighttime spectaculars (Star Wars, RoL, etc) that take place after park closing. It’s generally part of the schedule/standard operating procedure at those two parks.

You can get in a ride line right up until park closing.

Funny autocorrect. :-)
Hahaha! Now I can’t correct it, lol

Yes. They do Fantasmic at closing time and the Star Wars fireworks show 30 minutes later, although it's pretty tough to catch both of them.

We have a trip in May and like Fantasmic but have never seen the Star Wars show.

So even if someone leaves Fantasmic right at the end the best you'll do is catch the last 3-5 minutes of the Star Wars show? Thanks

Just to update on SDD closing time wait. We did our dinner at 50s Prime Time at 6:50. We had to skip dessert to make it out on time, but made it to SDD line at 8:26 just before 8:30 closing. We waited 27 minutes in line. We got off and moved towards the front of the theater and were just coming up the steps from TSL when the show started with the bang. We were still able to get a good position, so it all worked out great. This was the day after Easter, seemed pretty busy most of the day.

We will be at HS a week from today and hope to do the same thing you did. We want to ride SDD at dark and hope to catch the fireworks. Any advice on where to stand with good views still? We haven't been to HS in a few years so I am nervous about the planning not being familiar with the layout!

We have a trip in May and like Fantasmic but have never seen the Star Wars show.

So even if someone leaves Fantasmic right at the end the best you'll do is catch the last 3-5 minutes of the Star Wars show? Thanks

If SWAGS starts 30mn after Fantasmic, you can catch all of SWAGS or maybe miss just the first minute as Fantasmic is 20mn long. However, to do that you need to sit at the back, preferably on the end so you don’t disturb other people. When it gets to the showboat scene, if you’re not near the end of the right side of the theater, get up and walk over there. You can stand there and watch til the end but the second Mickey disappears you need to start walking very quickly. If you want to be dumped out near the end of the street, stay right and follow the path that takes you past the strollers and back to the entrance. If you want to be dumped at the end of the street by the bathrooms by the entrance, follow the path past the last rows of seats.

We will be at HS a week from today and hope to do the same thing you did. We want to ride SDD at dark and hope to catch the fireworks. Any advice on where to stand with good views still? We haven't been to HS in a few years so I am nervous about the planning not being familiar with the layout!

Basically in the middle of the courtyard is the best view. Too close and it’s hard to see everything. If you prefer not to be a human sardine for an hour, then try on the edge of the sidewalk so you’re hopefully taller than the people in front of you or on the street right behind a taped off walkway. You’ll have people walking in front of you the whole show but the cm won’t let anyone stop.

If SWAGS starts 30mn after Fantasmic, you can catch all of SWAGS or maybe miss just the first minute as Fantasmic is 20mn long. However, to do that you need to sit at the back, preferably on the end so you don’t disturb other people. When it gets to the showboat scene, if you’re not near the end of the right side of the theater, get up and walk over there. You can stand there and watch til the end but the second Mickey disappears you need to start walking very quickly. If you want to be dumped out near the end of the street, stay right and follow the path that takes you past the strollers and back to the entrance. If you want to be dumped at the end of the street by the bathrooms by the entrance, follow the path past the last rows of seats.

Basically in the middle of the courtyard is the best view. Too close and it’s hard to see everything. If you prefer not to be a human sardine for an hour, then try on the edge of the sidewalk so you’re hopefully taller than the people in front of you or on the street right behind a taped off walkway. You’ll have people walking in front of you the whole show but the cm won’t let anyone stop.
Fantasmic! is actually about 28 minutes long, WDW site says 30 minutes

I think @only hope covered the necessary steps well. I do know people who have seen both shows. Under" normal" circumstances you will not be able to see both, but it can be done. Good luck!

We're huge SW fans and have seen Fantasmic! before so at closing we're just going to get a couple of margaritas from Dockside and stake out a spot while the kids catch one more go on ToT. :)

My group did this twice just last week. On the Monday after Easter, we got in line for SDD at 8:28 and were off the ride at at 8:56. We walked up as they started. On Friday, the 26th we got in line at 8:28 and were off the ride at 8:48. We were able to make it almost to the front gate before the fireworks started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter