• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How's the dog thing going?

Ditto. And the fact that people have always had service dogs at the resorts gets brushed off.:rolleyes: No Disney resort has ever been dog free. And those dogs also relieve themselves outside, which people post as a huge offense. They were never made to go to a specific area.

I agree if dogs are misbehaving that the owners should be responsible. But I think the same should happen to parents too. I've seen horrible behavior by kids at the resorts and park and parents ignoring it. Disney needs to step in then too, just as they should if a dog is misbehaving.

Service dogs are entirely different than pet dogs. Service dogs will remain with their person, so they won't be left alone in a hotel room for hours on end, to get bored/destructive/loud.
Every time I have seen a service animal in a restaurant, it was laying quietly on the floor right next to their person; never on a booth bench as seen in that photo in the other thread.
And most importantly, the provide a necessary service to their person. Pets do not.

Service dogs aren't pets.

I believe that under certain circumstances WDW also allows the presence of emotional support animals. They are not service animals - they don't perform a task to assist their owner. The owner requires only the animal's presence which assists in the owner's emotional/mental well being. Documentation can be required for emotional support animals (usually a medical provider's letter or prescription) because they are not service animals.

There are also therapy animals, which usually have some behavioral training and are used to affect the emotional well-being of others (you will usually read of them visiting hospitals, schools or nursing homes.)

At this point Disney has decided it is going to make a little $$ off the persons who want their pet dog with them at the hotel. They do, however, have a lot of rules that guests with pet dogs are supposed to follow. One of them is that the dog is not allowed in the food service areas. I think the question would be, are the resorts enforcing the pet rules, including no pet dogs in the food service areas? Are the owners of the dog at the table passing it off as a service dog, in which case the resort probably can't/won't challenge it? Does the new pet policy lead to an increase in guests trying to pass off their pets as service animals? Not sure how...if they wanted to pass off their pet as a service animal they would do it whether pet dogs were permitted at the resort or not.

Last edited:
I see a bit of concern on pet waste. I'm not a dog lover, and don't really want to step in anything. I get that concern. However, this is disney, and I am continually amazed at how well they keep the grounds. I'm certain the groundskeepers aren't excited about the new guests, but ultimately, I think they'll get the job done even if the pet owners do not. You have all manner of wild beasts in the resort eco system, and their waste seems to get cleaned up just fine. It won't be perfect, but it'll get cleaned up if needed.
I'll be at POR in FEB/March and I'm curious to see if this is making mountains out of mole hills. Again, I'm far from an animal lover, but I don't think this is going to be a huge deal in the long run. I think the big concern is those with allergies. In that regard I think they'll need to vigilant about keeping some buildings pet free.

I know that I have no way to prove service dog vs pet but I think that there has been quite an uptick in pets being brought in to the parks. I blame that on the new et policy at the resorts.

I was there last week and counted four suspected pets one day and five the next..... in the parks. Not including obvious service dogs.

At least two were being wheeled around in strollers, one was a wiggly, excited puppy who was being passed around by family members and one was a Chihuahua tucked under the jacket of a ECV riding guest. I'll buy that one or more may be seizure alert dogs or something but what are the odds that all nine provided a service.

I think the policy has brought out the "give and inch and take a yard" crowd.

I hate that CMs are unable or unwilling to confront and enforce.
Writing this from my room at the Beach Club--I've been here for two days and absolutely agree--in just two days, I have seen more dogs at the parks (HS and EP so far) than I saw in my last three visits combined. Several were in doggie strollers, one was being carried in a swaddler-type thing (I kid you not), and a few were on leashes. I haven't spotted any (so far) at BC or YC but I really haven't spent much time around the lobby and grounds.

Writing this from my room at the Beach Club--I've been here for two days and absolutely agree--in just two days, I have seen more dogs at the parks (HS and EP so far) than I saw in my last three visits combined. Several were in doggie strollers, one was being carried in a swaddler-type thing (I kid you not), and a few were on leashes. I haven't spotted any (so far) at BC or YC but I really haven't spent much time around the lobby and grounds.

Really? Doggie strollers? If they are service dogs, then that's fine, but if not what's the point? You can't bring them on rides, they shouldn't be allowed in stores/restaurants with food, again unless they are service dogs. Am i wrong?

Last year at Epcot I saw three young adults walking with two very large poodles and a third small poodle that was in a stroller. Does that mean that they all had the need for an ESA? That's pretty bad luck that all three individuals required an ESA /s.

Is there a limit to how many ESAs a single person can bring with them? Maybe one person needed all three?

WOW! Really? :confused3

In the dozen or so times I've stayed at the Fort, I don't recall ever seeing 'remnants' anywhere.

When's the last time you were at the Fort? Maybe it's been a while.

j

I've never stayed there, but I would love to. I just read some accounts of people actually seeing poop, stepping in poop or riding their bike through poop. Apparently there are some loops at FW where dogs have always been allowed, thus my "maybe always has been" comment. Others say it's worse now. Makes me sad.

I've never stayed there, but I would love to. I just read some accounts of people actually seeing poop, stepping in poop or riding their bike through poop. Apparently there are some loops at FW where dogs have always been allowed, thus my "maybe always has been" comment. Others say it's worse now. Makes me sad.

Because people on here never lie or exaggerate...

I've never stayed there, but I would love to. Apparently there are some loops at FW where dogs have always been allowed, thus my "maybe always has been" comment. Others say it's worse now. Makes me sad.
Don’t be sad. People like to exaggerate. I was just there in September and like I said above, many times before. Going back in February. Yes, there are some “pet” loops, but you’ll see dogs (and lots of other animals including wildlife) all over, generally on a leash or at the dog park (except for the deer, turkeys, squirrels, and raccoons) I’ve been in pet loops before and I don’t ever recall seeing doggy “leftovers”. Certainly not where you would walk or ride. The Fort also has lots of CMs that keep the place spotless.
I guess it just goes to show you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. :-)

Take a break one day and ride the boat over from MK or WL/Contemporary. The Fort is a whole different world compared to any other resort on property. You may run it another camper with their dog at a picnic bench outside Crockett’s Tavern, but I’ll bet you won’t have to watch where you walk.

j

Don’t be sad. People like to exaggerate........ I
I guess it just goes to show you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. :-)

Take a break one day and ride the boat over from MK or WL/Contemporary. The Fort is a whole different world compared to any other resort on property. You may run it another camper with their dog at a picnic bench outside Crockett’s Tavern, but I’ll bet you won’t have to watch where you walk.

j

We always say we're going to do just that, and it always gets pushed back/we run out of time. Next time, I mean it. Sounds like a lovely resort and Hoop-Dee-Doo to boot!

I know that I have no way to prove service dog vs pet but I think that there has been quite an uptick in pets being brought in to the parks. I blame that on the new et policy at the resorts.

I was there last week and counted four suspected pets one day and five the next..... in the parks. Not including obvious service dogs.

At least two were being wheeled around in strollers, one was a wiggly, excited puppy who was being passed around by family members and one was a Chihuahua tucked under the jacket of a ECV riding guest. I'll buy that one or more may be seizure alert dogs or something but what are the odds that all nine provided a service.

I think the policy has brought out the "give and inch and take a yard" crowd.

I hate that CMs are unable or unwilling to confront and enforce.
I saw an uptick in my last 2 trips in July & Sept before the policy. I think it’s just becoming something ppl are doing more & more. I’ve also seen an uptick locally in other venues. I think ppl mistake service animals for “therapy” dogs. In that ppl think they can get their pet certified as a therapy dog & that makes it a service dog. It’s not the case, of course, but I really think ppl think that.

As I stated on the sticky about pet friendly resorts, I've been at POR for five days and have seen zero dogs here. The parks are a different story. I've seen a couple of dogs that could have been service animals, although it wasn't obvious what service they were providing or for whom. I've seen at least five or six dogs that were obviously pets. These were being carried, riding in a stroller or interacting with others who were clearly not their owners. I've never seen so many dogs in all of my trips. It is clear that more and more people are taking advantage of the fact that no one is stopping anyone from bringing an animal into the parks.

I am sad that Disney is allowing pet dogs, because Disney is not a place to hang out all day with your dog. It's a place to go to theme parks, where pet dogs are not allowed, so it seems like a bad mix for everyone. I have said before why I don't like the idea, and I have spoken to Disney on the subject too.

What makes it worse is that, if dogs are allowed in food courts and on furniture, then Disney is to blame for that. They have to enforce the rules. I worry about Disney food preparation standards if they are willing to allow dogs to eat off food court tables because rather that than disturb guests?!

I worry about Disney food preparation standards if they are willing to allow dogs to eat off food court tables because rather that than disturb guests?!
Speaking of dogs eating off the table, I was confused about the photo that was on the "Dog Experiences" thread. The poster said the dog was "eating off the table" but I don't see a bowl or food in front of the dog. The dog *is* sitting on the bench instead of the floor and the girl next to it may have hand fed the dog food from her plate, but I think that "eating off the table" is another exaggeration.

FWIW, I do think that Disney should enforce their rules. A pet should not be in the food court to begin with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter