• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How's the dog thing going?

This is what bothers me. Personal opinion is that I see no problem with guide dogs but when I see these other poor animals trying (usually smaller dogs) to navigate the crowds, no tail wags and bothered by the heat it really disturbs me. I would never do that to my dog. I saw a fairly furry dog with a costume on this week at Epcot and it must have been so hot.

I remember speaking with a man who was visually impaired who was taking his dog back to the resort rather than subject it to the heat.

How? I honestly don’t see how it makes it easier? If they check in under the pet policy then they take a risk of being caught. If they don’t, then no policy matters. Nobody would ask questions b/c they’re afraid of ADA not b/c there is a pet policy.

I agree with what @nicko said.

And regarding the pet policy, who is going to catch them? Nobody can ask questions at the park. Nobody is going to complain at the resort if the dog is mostly at a park anyways.

On the other hand, ppl who are only now bringing their pets b/c it’s allowed are very unlikely to suddenly break the rules. They pay a hefty pet fee & sign a disclosure & then sneak them in the parks? Doesn’t make sense.

But they don't have to sneak them in. They just walk on in.

I'm not saying everyone who brings a pet dog to Disney is going to automatically bring their dog to the parks. But as we see more and more dogs in the parks, some obviously as pets, it's easy to see why some people who are even normally rule followers, may do this as well. It's a slippery slope.

Agreed & for all the ppl freaking out, hate to tell them that there are a whole host of nasty things that I’ve seen take place on tables in WDW. When I sit down to eat anywhere in WDW I assume it’s filthy & limit my contact & my food’s contact with the surfaces. I have never been made sick by any animal; however, I’ve gotten very sick almost every time I go to WDW from germs spread from other ppl. It’s against the rules & should be enforced, but so should a lot of stuff.

Really!! You have gotten sick almost every time you go to WDW. I truly cant believe that!! Why would you continue to go to a place where you knew you would be getting sick, i would try to stay away from such places. I am sorry your immune system is so sensitive to germs.

I just don’t think that is a real risk. Dogs are more places now & there has not been this huge uptick in dog attacks in public places. If they are service dogs or being passed offf as service dogs, most likely these dogs are used to ppl & used to being in public. I think ppl who are opposed to the policy or don’t like dogs or think they’re hazardous or whatever just want these kinds of things to be true so they can say I told ya so, but just don’t think it’s likely.

I was in Munich a couple months ago and there were dogs everywhere, many off-leash and happily following their owners. It was kind of amazing (my dogs could never, which is why they're always leashed outside). I didn't see a single issue the week I was there.

Yes, REALLY. I didn’t said deathly ill, just a cold or something when I get back. Part of it is that we go non-stop from park open til close & don’t rest much. But, the other part is it’s filthy. As far as continuing to go, first I said almost every time & will add that I used to. In more recent trips I haven’t. The most effective technique against this so far has been washing my hands constantly...not hand sanitizer, but washing them constantly. Makes sense b/c it’s filthy. And I’m not the only one I know like this. So it’s not b/c I have some delicate immune system like you dismissively implied. And, the bottom line is DOGS have NOTHING to do with that, ppl do.

Last edited:

But they don't have to sneak them in. They just walk on in.

I'm not saying everyone who brings a pet dog to Disney is going to automatically bring their dog to the parks. But as we see more and more dogs in the parks, some obviously as pets, it's easy to see why some people who are even normally rule followers, may do this as well. It's a slippery slope.
Maybe, but I think it’s just part of the sky is falling paranoia that ppl have about this policy. At first, it was that the dog-friendly resorts would be overrun by vicious dogs biting children, pooping in the eating areas, barking all night & day, etc...Then real reports were a lot less numerous & were mostly a non issue except a few. So now it’s that there all over every park & we KNOW they’re not service dogs & it’s b/c they’re allowing pets in 4 resorts.

Last edited:
The "fake service dog problem" is not just a Disney thing. Several states have now implemented laws making it a crime to pass off an untrained pet as a service animal. However, the only way they're going to be caught is if the animal makes it clear that it is an untrained pet, probably by injuring someone or someone else's dog.

and it's not "all over every park" and there are not huge numbers of dogs. I see a few dogs. I haven't yet seen one misbehaving. If WDW refuses to ask the questions, then anyone can just walk into the parks with a dog and there will be no questions asked.

Under ADA, cats cannot be considered service animals. On an airplane, a cat would definitely be allowed as an emotional support animal under the Air Carriers Access Act. Unlike service animals, one cannot legally bring an emotional support animal anywhere one wishes. I don't know if WDW has any requirements for emotional support animals or if they will just allow them in without any documentation. ESAs are not service animals, so they could require documentation, usually a note from a medical provider. If they require a note, then someone with their pet in a pet-friendly room could not just suddenly decide that their pet is a ESA for the day, unless they can quickly buy a medical provider note over the internet (there are actually websites that sell such things). Much easier to just say your pet is a service dog...but then it had better behave.

I don't think there's any way to tell whether or not a dog you see in the park is actually a service dog, but if its owner does not have control of it, the dog can be removed.

Service dogs are not "tied up outside rides in sweltering heat." Either the dog's handler or someone else must remain with the dog, or Disney provides a kennel.

Last edited:
The assumption about how most dogs in the parks will now be pets reminds me of when people on the DIS assumed many people in wheelchairs and scooters were fakers to bypass lines. I did not see a noticeable reduction of wheelchair/scooter users once the DAS replaced the GAC making it harder to bypass lines. I think that WDW earned a reputation for being wheelchair/scooter friendly.

I think the same can be said for service and emotional support dogs. I think that there has been an increase of ‘helper’ dogs (both service and emotional) in the US. WDW is gaining a reputation for being ‘helper’ dog friendly so it’s no surprise to me that we see more dogs in the parks helping people.

Were there wheelchair cheaters? You bet! Are there pets posing as ‘helper’ dogs? Absolutely. There is always someone who games the system for their own advantage. However, I think if we go around suspiciously eyeing people in wheelchairs and people with dogs and judging them as fakers we take away the dignity of the people who really need those accommodations. Instead, I like to view everyone as legitimate. First of all, it keeps the moral outrage of people faking a disability from eating at me. More importantly, it keeps me from being all judgy and openly skeptical of someone’s disability when it might in fact be real. Can you imagine being the person who requires an emotional support dog and you get suspicious side eyes and judgmental frowns from other guests all day?

Biggest issue with emotional support animals is that the owner requires only the animal's presence. Therefore they don't need to have any sort of training, and are essentially pets. This is why ADA does not cover them.

If WDW allows them (and it appears they do, but only dogs, not any other species of animal), it is because they want to be "helper dog friendly" as noted. But WDW is not required by law to allow ESAs. Granted, yes, some people are going to take advantage merely because they want to have their pet with them. And it's going to be allowed so long as there are no issues. I know airlines are asking the feds to take another look at the Air Carriers Access Act after someone's emotional support dog (read: untrained pet) nearly bit the face off the guy sitting next to it. But the airline is going to bear some responsibility for that too, since it allowed a 50 pound emotional support dog to sit on its owner's lap in a middle seat in coach.

The assumption about how most dogs in the parks will now be pets reminds me of when people on the DIS assumed many people in wheelchairs and scooters were fakers to bypass lines. I did not see a noticeable reduction of wheelchair/scooter users once the DAS replaced the GAC making it harder to bypass lines. I think that WDW earned a reputation for being wheelchair/scooter friendly.

I think the same can be said for service and emotional support dogs. I think that there has been an increase of ‘helper’ dogs (both service and emotional) in the US. WDW is gaining a reputation for being ‘helper’ dog friendly so it’s no surprise to me that we see more dogs in the parks helping people.

Were there wheelchair cheaters? You bet! Are there pets posing as ‘helper’ dogs? Absolutely. There is always someone who games the system for their own advantage. However, I think if we go around suspiciously eyeing people in wheelchairs and people with dogs and judging them as fakers we take away the dignity of the people who really need those accommodations. Instead, I like to view everyone as legitimate. First of all, it keeps the moral outrage of people faking a disability from eating at me. More importantly, it keeps me from being all judgy and openly skeptical of someone’s disability when it might in fact be real. Can you imagine being the person who requires an emotional support dog and you get suspicious side eyes and judgmental frowns from other guests all day?
Absolutely agree! And, if the dog is not doing anything wrong or bothering anyone, who cares??! Assume they are legitimate. If they are misbehaving, then report it b/c service dogs can even be removed if they’re not behaving. I don’t get why so many ppl designate themselves the rule police. World would be such a better place if ppl would just mind their business!

Biggest issue with emotional support animals is that the owner requires only the animal's presence. Therefore they don't need to have any sort of training, and are essentially pets. This is why ADA does not cover them.

If WDW allows them (and it appears they do, but only dogs, not any other species of animal), it is because they want to be "helper dog friendly" as noted. But WDW is not required by law to allow ESAs. Granted, yes, some people are going to take advantage merely because they want to have their pet with them. And it's going to be allowed so long as there are no issues. I know airlines are asking the feds to take another look at the Air Carriers Access Act after someone's emotional support dog (read: untrained pet) nearly bit the face off the guy sitting next to it. But the airline is going to bear some responsibility for that too, since it allowed a 50 pound emotional support dog to sit on its owner's lap in a middle seat in coach.
That’s a good point. Ppl who have argued that ESAs are not service dogs are correct, but we don’t know if WDW allows them. Ppl are saying no one is asking any questions. But, they may actually be asking & if they say it’s an ESA WDW may allow it. So, again, just mind your (the collective you) business unless it’s reportable, then report it & move on with your vacation.

One story I will relay is that last August in MK a lady with a dog (which did not seem quite calm enough to be a service dog) got onto Mainstreet, and let the leash go like 10 feet. It was one of the moments where CM's came of out nowhere and SWARMED.

I moved along, but it did not appear they were having any of it. If this is an indication of how CM's will act universally, then there is minimal cause for concern.

However, like any group of people, CM's can vary widely!! Its just one example!

The cat was out of a carrier and just sat there in its assigned spot? :eek:

My cat would be running amok...running down the aisle, climbing on people, stealing people’s food...

I can’t imagine a cat actually being that obedient. :rotfl2:

You know what, I could see my cat doing that. She's not interested in human food or interacting with strangers. She would probably feel very safe hiding under the seat in front of me!

Maybe, but I think it’s just part of the sky is falling paranoia that ppl have about this policy. At first, it was that the dog-friendly resorts would be overrun by vicious dogs biting children, pooping in the eating areas, barking all night & day, etc...Then real reports were a lot less numerous & were mostly a non issue except a few. So now it’s that there all over every park & we KNOW they’re not service dogs & it’s b/c they’re allowing pets in 4 resorts.

Has anybody said that? :confused3

Some of us are just recognizing the possibility that the uptick of dogs at parks could be a result of the new pet policy.

I wonder if the uptick in "service animals" at the parks has more to do with OTHER resorts allowing dogs. These other resorts/hotels seem to enforce the rule of not leaving the dogs in the room unattended. So people just bring them with to the parks.

since the new resort policy is for pets, and service animals are not pets, I don't think one has anything to do with the other. If one were going to pass off their pet as a service dog, they'd do it at the resort too, not just at the park.

I guess I just don't understand this argument. WDW also has the running risk of having a child getting bitten by one of the ducks surrounding Cinderella's Castle... so does that mean they should get rid of those as well? Animals (rats, cats, ducks, rabbits, etc.) are everywhere in Disney, you might just not see them. MOST of these dogs you see in the parks provide a function to their owners, to make CMs question each one would defeat the purpose.
Ducks, rats, rabbits and snakes are wild animals.

Dogs are invited guests.

Big difference.

(Cats are said to be part of Disney, which would mean that if one bit a guest, there would be a big problem.

since the new resort policy is for pets, and service animals are not pets, I don't think one has anything to do with the other. If one were going to pass off their pet as a service dog, they'd do it at the resort too, not just at the park.

Sure. They could still do that if they wanted to. If you bring your pet into the foodcourt or the pool area, nobody will say anything cause it might be a service dog.

At the same time, pet owners who pay the daily resort fee, have the option of leaving the dog in the room all day if they want without fear of housekeeping or someone else reporting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter