How young is to young?

Disneylover79

<font color=darkorchid>I'm a cheap date!<br><font
I just booked an overnight trip for Mother's Day weekend. My son will be 4 months old then. How old were your children when you took them for the first time? I have been told I am crazy for taking him as there are to many germs there. TIA

It's really just a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

I would never consider taking a 4 month old, not necessarily because of the germs (although that's a valid concern with a baby that young,) but more because it's hot, and you have to carry a bunch of stuff, and babies that small can be unpredictable.

Other people do it and are fine with it.

Our family guideline is 6mo. That age gives them a bit better neck strength I want for some of the rides, the ability to sit up a bit better, have a first round of immunizations, and to maybe be sleeping a bit more at night. May is not a bad time for taking babies as you are pretty much over RSV and flu season and while it is hot, its not as hot or humid as
Summer.

We took our daughter at 8 weeks old this past fall. We just took it slow and took breaks. The baby care centers are a great place to cool off. Before we left we talked to our pediatrician, and she was fine with us taking her on vacation that young. It's really a personal decision, but we had a wonderful trip!

I took my kids at 6.5 and 4.5. Some thought I was nuts because I could've gone with them sooner. Some thought I was nuts because they were too young. Some thought I was just nuts for wanting to go to DLR. To each their own.

I just booked an overnight trip for Mother's Day weekend. My son will be 4 months old then. How old were your children when you took them for the first time? I have been told I am crazy for taking him as there are to many germs there. TIA

We are taking our baby between 4-5 months. As much as I judged people for taking the babies to the park so young before I was pregnant, now that I am I don't care what other people have to say. I know that there are germs out there, but the baby will have started all the shots and I don't plan on passing her around to everyone. There are also germs at home when we go out side for walks but that is encouraged. I know the baby will not remember this trip, but the trip isn't for her it is for the memories that my DH and I will have of her in the parks.

So no you are not crazy! You are doing what you think is best for you, your family, and you baby! Have a good time and don't let other people scare you!

We will be heading down in a couple of weeks with our 3 month old. Our doctor is completely fine with it. He has had his first round of shots already.
Germs don't only live at Disney...they are everywhere...the grocery store, the library, etc...Plus, our little guy is in daycare, so he's exposed
to a whole plethora of germs everyday, LOL.
We waited to take our older kids until they were 3 and 5 and once we went we realized we could have taken them so much sooner, so we are
not waiting with this little guy. :)

We took our son at 7 1/2 months.

In regards to germs, we found that keeping him in a front-facing carrier on the rides kept him from touching things/seats (as opposed to just being held on a lap), and he was happy seeing everything. We also kept a pack of hand and face wipes very accessible to wipe his hands after touching things before they went in his mouth.

Also, after a day at MK, we were looking through photos and saw one of him BITING Goofy's glove. I had a minor freakout b/c that is probably one of the germiest things possible at Disney, but he lived...

My daughter was 9 months when we took her, but had the opportunity presented itself sooner, I wouldn't have minded taking her at all. It just takes proper planning and organization, and you'll be fine. I severely dislike the "Oh, they're too young, they wont remember" argument. Yea, I know she's young and she wont remember her trip, but guess what. I will. And those memories I have of her reactions to things such as the fireworks, the electrical parade and the Winnie the Pooh ride are absolutely priceless! As for the germs..there are a ton of germs at the mall, at the grocery store, EVERYWHERE. You just have to be diligent with hand wiping and sanitizing. We made sure to carry around Babyganics hand and face wipes, as well as the Babyganics hand sanitizer. Like I said, proper planning, organization and preparation, and you'll be fine!

I just traveled and met up with a friend who had his 1 month old, 2.5 year old and 5 year old (and his wife). They had a really great trip!

I wouldn't hesitate to bring a baby over a month old.

The youngest we took one of our kids was 9 months. He had a great time while he was awake. :) Wouldn't have a problem going down earlier as long as the Dr. is ok with the travel.

When we were down for spring break in March, we saw more young infants than we normally do. In a lot of cases, you will see young infants due to a trip being planned before the pregnancy was fully known about. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter