How young an age for Avatar Flight of Passage?

the8ball

Earning My Ears
AFOP in AK has a has a minimum-height requirement of 44 inches, but what's the youngest age you'd recommend for it? Do you think a tall kindergartener/5yo would be okay on it, or is it better to be a little older?

Our youngest turned 5 this past December and is just 44”. He’s still in Pre-k. FOP is his absolute favorite ride. Ironically the “loud bang” i.e. the transitions in Soarin scare him :)

Obviously it will vary wildly per child.

My 5 year old granddaughter absolutely loves this ride. Experiencing it with her was one of the highlights of our latest trip.

I had no intention of taking my kid on this last summer as I wasn’t sure if he was tall enough and I didn’t think he’d like having to sit in his own ride vehicle. He was 4, but tall for his age He loved every other ride he has been on though and decided if he was tall enough, he’d want to go. There is a seat outside so you can try out the position you need to sit in and see if your kid is comfortable. My son ended up loving it, but it was his decision to try it out.

Totally varies per kid. Mine was terrified by the preshow and took the chicken exit at age 6. I would say if you haven't exposed them to any PG level thrill movies in advance it may be a bit much. Worth a try?

I agree, it totally varies by child. If you have a little daredevil they will love it. If not, they may be scared of the realistic flight and drops.

My daughter had a hard time keeping the glasses on. She wasn't scared, she just got annoyed needing to keep pushing them back up on her face the whole time.

My 4yo isn't tall enough yet, but his favorite ride is TOT, I let him try any ride he wants to and meets the requirement for. Trust your gut for your individual child, but I wouldn't say its inappropriate/scary to consider for a 5 year old who wants to go!

I once saw a child (maybe she was 6 years old?) leave after the preshow. It seemed that she was convinced the video showing the exchange between the person's brain and the avatar was real and she wanted nothing to do with it.

AFOP in AK has a has a minimum-height requirement of 44 inches, but what's the youngest age you'd recommend for it? Do you think a tall kindergartener/5yo would be okay on it, or is it better to be a little older?
My son did it when he was 4 and absolutely loved it but he is a daredevil. My daughter wasn’t tall enough till she was 5 and she loved it also but again…her favorite ride is TOT. If your child likes thrill rides then AFOP is a no brainer…they will love it! My 7 yo niece will not even attempt it! She doesn’t like any ride that is (or seems) fast or “flips her tummy”. It all depends on the child.

Our 4yo is 44". We took him on it and he did not enjoy it. He wasn't happy about wearing the glasses. He wasn't happy about sitting by himself or the bar behind his back.

He LOVES Dinosaur but won't do Soarin (too high) or TOT (too scary). We figure we will wait another year or so before we try FOP again.

Totally just depends on your kiddo - wish I had better advice!

My very short daughter loved it when she tried it at 6yo but she screamed and cried when we went on SDD and she refused trying ToT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter