• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How would you handle this

disneegrl4eva

DIS Veteran
Going to take my 13 yo grandson to FL this summer....he has never been outside of CA and NEVER been in a plane...I am flying over to FL on AA and back on Alaska...I did the main cabin so I could choose my seats...However, I personally don't want to be in the middle seat...my greatest hope and I do realize that its like a needle in a haystack, but it would be great to sit on the aisle and him in the window...However, if someone sits in that middle seat I'm going to have to give up my aisle seat as I dont doubt for a minute they will feel like they hit the jackpot...I mean who would turn that down....I don't want my gson being any more nervous than he already is by putting a stranger next to him...should I chance it and keep the aisle and window seat or should I play it safe and do window and middle???? What other options would I have?

Going to take my 13 yo grandson to FL this summer....he has never been outside of CA and NEVER been in a plane...I am flying over to FL on AA and back on Alaska...I did the main cabin so I could choose my seats...However, I personally don't want to be in the middle seat...my greatest hope and I do realize that its like a needle in a haystack, but it would be great to sit on the aisle and him in the window...However, if someone sits in that middle seat I'm going to have to give up my aisle seat as I dont doubt for a minute they will feel like they hit the jackpot...I mean who would turn that down....I don't want my gson being any more nervous than he already is by putting a stranger next to him...should I chance it and keep the aisle and window seat or should I play it safe and do window and middle???? What other options would I have?
I would either suck it up and sit in the middle or book 2 aisle seats right across from each other. That’s what my son and I do so neither of us have to suffer with the middle.

I feel your pain, disneegrl4eva. My DH hates flying and to make it as stress free for him as possible I always get him the aisle seat and resign myself to the center seat. It sucks, but my world doesn’t end for it and it makes flying easier for him bear. If your dead set against the center seat go for double aisle seats. The last six flights I have been we’re at full capacity. Empty seats are rare (really, really rare) gems any more. Enjoy your trip!

If you book aisle/window, there's probably a 90% chance someone in the middle seat would be willing to switch to the aisle.
If you want to eliminate that 10% chance though, yes, book window/middle. Aisle/aisle is an option, but what young teen, who is on their first flight, would NOT want to look out the window?

Have you asked your grandson if he would be okay with a stranger potentially sitting next to him? My 13 year old would be okay with it. Presenting the options to him: stranger/window/2 aisle seats/something else may help him feel more confident about the flight. I wouldn't take away the option for him to see out the window for your own comfort.

I would either book aisle-aisle or resign myself to sitting in the middle seat. The odds are very small a middle seat would go unused.

Have you asked your grandson if he would be okay with a stranger potentially sitting next to him? My 13 year old would be okay with it. Presenting the options to him: stranger/window/2 aisle seats/something else may help him feel more confident about the flight. I wouldn't take away the option for him to see out the window for your own comfort.

Yes, what does your grandson say?

I’d never give up an aisle. So I’d book two aisles or aisle and window knowing someone will sit in the middle. Even a shy 13 year old should be able to handle that for a few hours. He can always give up his window to sit next to you.

My kid just sits in the middle seat with me in the aisle. Neither of us want to have to get past someone else to use the restroom.

So my DH and I have hoped for this a few times as well....what we've done is book the aisle and the window in the very last row of the plane. That middle seat in the last row will likely be the very last seat on the plane to be filled (if people are selecting their own seats - if the airlines assigns them automatically all bets are off!) The few times we've done it, we've never had anyone come to claim the middle seat but if they did, we would just move over and sit together and offer them the aisle or window. I can't imagine a single person in the world who would prefer the middle seat! Lol! But personally, I wouldn't plan on putting someone in between yourself and your grandson. I would feel really awkward if I was stuck in a middle seat between 2 people who know each other because they would almost certainly try to talk to each other at some point and I would feel like I was in the way!

There are usually quite a few airline employees who are entitled to free seats eagerly awaiting the chance to take any empty seat, middle or otherwise. Other than first class, another option is to buy an extra seat, so you pay for the middle seat to ensure that it will remain empty. The airlines actually require very obese passengers who would otherwise encroach on their neighbor to do this, but anybody has the option to do it for extra space and comfort. More info here:
https://viewfromthewing.com/who-kne...at-for-more-space-on-all-the-big-us-airlines/

Yes, this. I am a mom to a 13 year old (and a 15 year old, and an 18 year old, and a 19 year old--so this is my 4th time being a mom to a 13 year old boy!) They wouldn't bat an eye at having a stranger sit next to them.

Also, if someone is assigned to the middle seat and you offer to change seats, I'll bet they'd take that offer! Give up a middle seat for a window or aisle? Heck, yeah! DH and I always take a window and aisle, and hope no one sits between us (this is Southwest and we're eligible to pre-board). Usually if the person in the middle seat figures out we're together, they "Oh-so-kindly" offer to change seats so we can sit together. Ummm-no, thanks!

I would take the aisle and put the 13-year old in the middle. I think most 13-year olds would be fine sitting next to a stranger. Your comfort is really what should motivate you, especially on your very first flight.

I would take the aisle and put the 13-year old in the middle. I think most 13-year olds would be fine sitting next to a stranger. Your comfort is really what should motivate you, especially on your very first flight.
It's not the OP's first flight,it's the grandson's first flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter