How wet will we get?

we went on to Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges at IOA thinking it would be a wimpy water ride like KRR and we were absolutely drenched. Like, I was wringing water out of my hair and clothes.

I don't know that KRR is wimpy, but it definitely doesn't hold a candle to Popeye and Bluto's! We walked off that ride absolutely soaked. Drenched to the bone, head to toe. There's still a pretty good chance you'll get a good splash on KRR, and maybe SM. What time of year are you going? There are some splash zones that don't function in the colder months. We went last august and did water rides in the middle of the day--the cold water was a huge relief from the heat, and we dried reasonably quickly (although we were careful not to spend too much time in air conditioned buildings until we were nearly dry). If you'll be there in the summer months, I would definitely recommend trying to get the water rides in during the day. Bring a change if you have being wet, or enjoy a cooler little while as the water dries.

On KRR you will either get sprinkled on or completely soaked. There is always one seat that is completely wet. If you're in my boat, it is always my seat lol! Never fails!! Anyway, we plan ours for the heat of the afternoon and after lunch if we have a sit down for lunch. So usually around 2p. I always plan outfits for AK way ahead of time. We all have at least one outfit that is quick dry. No jean material!! I usually wear a cotton tank with my light weight cargo capris and my Merrell sandals.

PS don't wear white capris with turquoise underwear. I've seen it happen and it's not pretty lol

We should get on the ride together and sit on opposite sides....it is always my seat that gets soaked when I ride KRR....how would the ride gods handle that conundrum? lol

I don't know that KRR is wimpy, but it definitely doesn't hold a candle to Popeye and Bluto's! We walked off that ride absolutely soaked. Drenched to the bone, head to toe. There's still a pretty good chance you'll get a good splash on KRR, and maybe SM. What time of year are you going? There are some splash zones that don't function in the colder months. We went last august and did water rides in the middle of the day--the cold water was a huge relief from the heat, and we dried reasonably quickly (although we were careful not to spend too much time in air conditioned buildings until we were nearly dry). If you'll be there in the summer months, I would definitely recommend trying to get the water rides in during the day. Bring a change if you have being wet, or enjoy a cooler little while as the water dries.
Haha yeah we only thought it was wimpy because we didn't even get slightly wet!

But I'm seeing that tons of people get off KRR wet, so maybe we should try again...

You can get really soaked on either, but the probability is much higher on KRR.

Rope drop on either sounds like a bad plan to me unless you can easily change. I'd hate to walk around all day soaked...and it can take a long time to dry off, even on a hot day.

I usually make Kali my last stop on the way out of AK...i.e., last FP of the day.

I have been everything from completely dry, to moderately wet on Splash. But NOTHING compared to KRR. I have never come off that ride anything but completely drenched! Unless it's the middle of the summer when wet is a good thing, we ride it last, so we can back to the room and change when we are done.

Here's a hint. If you do where tennis shoes on a ride and they get soaked, stuff them with newspaper when you get back to the resort. Change the paper right before bed and they will be mostly dry by morning.

I'll be honest here. My kids and I laugh when people wear ponchos. Why ride a water ride and not get wet :confused3 To each their own I guess. I prefer the drowned rat look :)

Because the ride is fun, but walking around soaking wet and being chaffed for the rest of the trip is not.

We always grab pochos at Rite Aid or wherever. 2 per person, one for Splash, one in case it rains later (we don't do AK most trips). People may laugh at us walking on the ride, they don't laugh walking off.

We should get on the ride together and sit on opposite sides....it is always my seat that gets soaked when I ride KRR....how would the ride gods handle that conundrum? lol

LOL! My kids always flank me, and they are divided in half. The side close to me is soaked the other side is bone dry.

When we rode Kali we came off absolutely soaked to the bone. Shoes, shirt, and pants - dripping, dripping wet.

Luckily, we've never gotten super wet on SM and we've sat in every seat there.
(Now when I say super wet, I mean I didn't feel the need to change clothes and was uncomfortable)

I've never rode KRR at AK, so I can't speak about that.
I do know people that did get super wet on that, which is why I never wanted to ride it.

One of the funniest memories I have of my dad is him reluctantly agreeing to get on Kali to make us kids happy. Going down a drop a giant wave splashes over him and he tries to pretended to be having fun. THEN! The raft gets stuck under a waterfall and he, of course, was directly under the water. He could not have been wetter if he swam the ride.

Ya no matter what someone is getting soaked on Kali it is up to the spin of the ride and usually most get soaked. Even in the summer heat it can take a while to dry off. We were just there a few weeks ago on a 65 Degree day and as we were getting on one young man was waiving one of the cheap ponchos around and my wife used it. She was the only one dry when we came off the ride. She gave the poncho to another person as we came off and they grabbed it quickly. We usually make Kali our last ride of the day just so we can head back to the room if we are really soaked. I was once on this ride with a couple that were dressed up like they came from Sunday mass and the woman was all in white. Let me tell you they both got soaked and she was not able to hide much if you know what I mean and she was yelling at him the whole time we were exiting the ride. Funny as heck.

Here's a hint. If you do where tennis shoes on a ride and they get soaked, stuff them with newspaper when you get back to the resort. Change the paper right before bed and they will be mostly dry by morning.

I'll be honest here. My kids and I laugh when people wear ponchos. Why ride a water ride and not get wet :confused3 To each their own I guess. I prefer the drowned rat look :)

If you don't have newspaper in your room, dry washcloths and hand towels work just as well.

Go right ahead and laugh at the ponchos. Those of us who wear them (and cover our feet with plastic bags) on KRR really don't care what other people think. Some of us enjoy the ride but don't enjoy being soaked in our clothing. I've been on similar rides at other parks and you don't get soaked -- though I've also been on some where *everyone* gets soaked so I guess KRR is a happy compromise. Just because someone doesn't want to be soaked doesn't mean they don't enjoy the ride or shouldn't go on it. Every time I've been on KRR *someone* on the boat laughs at me for wearing a poncho. Every time we get off the ride, I'm the one laughing to myself at *that* person as they're complaining about being soaked.

I've gotten completely and utterly soaked on both. For Kali River Rapids you'll at least get wet from just sitting in the seats. Water everywhere. The major soaking usually just hits two people during the ride. It's somewhat random but it happens when you get to the bottom of the longest drop on the ride. This last trip on SM we were in the front row and got nailed. It occurred just after we hit the bottom of the big drop. There was the wall of water that kicks up and out when the log splashes down. That wasn't so bad but there was a roll back wave that came back up and over the front of the log that just soaked us to the bone.

We've been on both many times and none of my family of four have ever been soaked on SM no matter what seat we sit in. As for KRR, I've been soaked twice and it isn't fun to walk around soggy all day so I would suggest doing them later in the evening or just before you take a break and can change. Have Fun!!

Thanks for the replies. Funny to hear the different experiences on the same rides! We are going in May so the weather will probably be warm. I've decided to do both in the evening as we're exiting the park.

Thanks again!

Disney wetness power rankings:

1. First row on Pirates of the Carribbean
2. Rain
3. Kali River Rapids
4. Splash mountain
5. First few rows of Fantasmic when it's windy
6. Spitting camel in Adventureland

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter