• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How was your recent DAS experience in the parks?

ajollyholidaywithjo

Mouseketeer
I have a trip this month, and am using DAS for the first time. I didn't know that it was an option for me, and it's provided some peace of mind for this trip.

I was able to get on and get the two passes in advance, and I've been told I can get passes in the parks once I tap in for the day. I was thinking that it would be very minimal availability, but I've watched videos and read posts where people are getting multiple passes a day. I was thinking I would get maybe three (two in advance, one day of), and I was grateful for just that!

I also didn't realize you could get rides like Remy, Frozen, and even Rise, once you get in the parks.

What has your experience been, if you've been to the parks recently? Are there rides I should prioritize?

In-park DAS Return Times are based on the standby queue wait time. So as long as the standby queue is open, you can obtain a DAS Return Time. Very few attractions don't have a standby queue (right now I think it's only Guardians using a virtual queue with no standby). As to prioritizing... that really just depends on what you really want to do and in what order. DAS Return Time will be equal to the posted standby time minus 10 minutes. So if an attraction has a 2-hour standby, the DAS Return Time will be 110 minutes and tie-up your DAS for almost 2 hours because you cannot obtain another DAS Return Time until you use the one you have.

I have a trip this month, and am using DAS for the first time. I didn't know that it was an option for me, and it's provided some peace of mind for this trip.

I was able to get on and get the two passes in advance, and I've been told I can get passes in the parks once I tap in for the day. I was thinking that it would be very minimal availability, but I've watched videos and read posts where people are getting multiple passes a day. I was thinking I would get maybe three (two in advance, one day of), and I was grateful for just that!

I also didn't realize you could get rides like Remy, Frozen, and even Rise, once you get in the parks.

What has your experience been, if you've been to the parks recently? Are there rides I should prioritize?
The DAS Advance Selections are the 2 that you made for each day in connection with doing the video DAS registration. Those ARE limited in selection of attractions and times because only a certain number of ‘slots’ are reserved for those for each park/each day.
The DAS Advance Selections are totally separate from anything else. They have a 1 hour window of time to use, but don’t need to be used before doing anything else - if you dont use them, they just expire.

DAS Return Times are the ones you obtain in the park. They don’t run out and don’t have limited availability.
lanejudy explained how they work very well. The first post in this thread also has complete information on how DAS works and how to make DAS Return Times. Only the first post is important/up to date, so you don’t need to read the rest.

Just remember even though you have DAS, that doesn't mean you always get on the rides in 10-15 mins. Once we saw the LL line for rise that took up half the courtyard.

Just wanted you to know so you can plan.
This. We used DAS for Soarin' and were still in line for 50 minutes. We were in the process of getting out of line because we were well beyond my DS's tolerance for lines when we finally got to a room. The ride wasn't down then (though, maybe it had been earlier), there was just a huge backlog in the LL line. We had a similar issues on Journey of the Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh. We ended up getting out of both of those lines. So yeah, keep that in mind.

As others have said, there is no limit on how many DAS return times are given. Everyone who needs one gets one and you can use it as many times as you need during the day. You just pick whatever ride you want to go on and get a return time for it. That will be based on how long the posted wait time is. You will still be put in the same line as the all of the Genie+ people will be in so your wait can be anywhere from 5 minutes to up to an hour, depending on how busy it is.

You can absolutely get rides once you're in the park. The only ride you can't get via DAS once you're in the park is Cosmic Rewind, because that is only via virtual queue or lightning lane. Unless you're going during a crazy-packed time, you can get plenty of ride reservation times using DAS. We go every month or two (to both WDW and DL) and have never had problems getting DAS return times. Some are definitely longer waits, and DHS will be a lot of time waiting for your return window to come up, but you can certainly get more than the 3 a day.

Two other details to keep in mind:
1. At the end of the day, DAS availability may disappear. That is because the current standby line would result in you reporting to the LL after park closing time. If you want to ride something that has long standby waits, don't leave it too late in the day!
2. In the case of Guardians, you can use DAS with your Virtual Queue reservation. Talk to the cast members at the beginning of the VQ line and they can help you get that sorted out. We enjoyed the standby line early in the day, when we had just enough time to see all the "artifacts" in the line, but once the standby line (for VQ) is a longer wait (later in the day) we prefer to use DAS as enclosed spaces with so many people is my husband's anxiety trigger--we can kinda get through the preshow but we hang back as far as we can.

Two other details to keep in mind:
1. At the end of the day, DAS availability may disappear. That is because the current standby line would result in you reporting to the LL after park closing time. If you want to ride something that has long standby waits, don't leave it too late in the day!
If DAS in the app is not available because the wait time extends past the closing of the park, but they are still allowing guests to get in the standby queue, you can go to the CM at the queue area and request access. We have done that twice, and been given a return time manually. (Edited to fix typo)

Last edited:
If DAS in the app is not available because the wait time extends past the closing of the park, but they are still allowing guests to get in the standby queue, you can go to the CM at the queue are request access. We have done that twice, and been given a return time manually.
That's great pixie dust! We have not had the same experience, but always worth asking, right?

There are definitely some long waits even with DAS. Yesterday Remy LL was to the front of France (moved quickly but still 30-40 minutes). Also if you plan to use it for the most popular rides prepare for lots of downtime in between. We had 3+ hour "waits" yesterday for rise and tower of terror (so only 2 DAS rides between 230-9pm at HS)

That's great pixie dust! We have not had the same experience, but always worth asking, right?
I don't believe it was "pixie dust" as if I didn't need DAS access, I could have still gotten in the standby queue and gotten on the attraction. They stop guests getting in the queues at closing, and I always asked 20-30 minutes before closing. It allows me to have the same access as any other guest - queues are open until the park closes for the night for the most part. I think the Safari ride has a last run before park closing, and I've seen sandwich boards up in the past stating certain ride queues were closed about an hour before the park, but that was years and years ago. My past two trips with DAS we were able to access attractions up until closing.

I don't believe it was "pixie dust" as if I didn't need DAS access, I could have still gotten in the standby queue and gotten on the attraction. They stop guests getting in the queues at closing, and I always asked 20-30 minutes before closing. It allows me to have the same access as any other guest - queues are open until the park closes for the night for the most part. I think the Safari ride has a last run before park closing, and I've seen sandwich boards up in the past stating certain ride queues were closed about an hour before the park, but that was years and years ago. My past two trips with DAS we were able to access attractions up until closing.
OK, I'm just saying I didn't have the same experience. Of course, after one "no" I didn't try again, so maybe it was just my bad luck.

This. We used DAS for Soarin' and were still in line for 50 minutes. We were in the process of getting out of line because we were well beyond my DS's tolerance for lines when we finally got to a room. The ride wasn't down then (though, maybe it had been earlier), there was just a huge backlog in the LL line. We had a similar issues on Journey of the Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh. We ended up getting out of both of those lines. So yeah, keep that in mind.
I used Genie+(I know not DAS but the same line) it was a forty min wait. I left and came back in 30 min. It was walkthrough. That happened a couple times. so that may be a strategy you could try

I used Genie+(I know not DAS but the same line) it was a forty min wait. I left and came back in 30 min. It was walkthrough. That happened a couple times. so that may be a strategy you could try
Good to know, thank you! Soarin' was one of our advance DAS selections so we were worried about not being able to get back on if we skipped. It's not a must do next time (end of this month), so we'll definitely just skip it and go back if the line is long again.

Good to know, thank you! Soarin' was one of our advance DAS selections so we were worried about not being able to get back on if we skipped. It's not a must do next time (end of this month), so we'll definitely just skip it and go back if the line is long again.
The CM at the Lightning Lane entrance might be able to help you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter