How to WAIT after you decide to join!?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
Hi guys,

After many years humming and hawing, we've finally decided we'll take the plunge and become members. However, we're going the resale route as we're Canadians and we don't mind missing out the direct perks (since we're on the West Coast of Canada.) Now, we wait for the right contract to come up and begin that process.

But since we we've decided to do it, the wait is KILLING me. Likely, we'll be looking at anywhere up to a year before we're official. How do you sit tight when you know what's coming!? I know a year isn't that far off, but right now it feels like a life time, haha.

Any tips and advice?

Buy the first contact that meets your minimum requirements at any resort.
Wait for your perfect contract, buy it.
Then sale your first purchase.
You may loose monies on the deal over-all but it gets you in before the year is out.

We just knew the resort we wanted, had a range of UY's that work for us, knew the typical price ranges for that resort, and wanted a loaded contract. Thought it might take a while but I believe we found it in under a month. Know what you want and be ready to jump at it when it shows up.

Don’t settle! This purchase is going to last you a very long time. The wait is agonizing, but worth it. Happy hunting. Like the previous poster said, be ready to pounce when something meets your requirements.

Hi guys,

After many years humming and hawing, we've finally decided we'll take the plunge and become members. However, we're going the resale route as we're Canadians and we don't mind missing out the direct perks (since we're on the West Coast of Canada.) Now, we wait for the right contract to come up and begin that process.

But since we we've decided to do it, the wait is KILLING me. Likely, we'll be looking at anywhere up to a year before we're official. How do you sit tight when you know what's coming!? I know a year isn't that far off, but right now it feels like a life time, haha.

Any tips and advice?

Ha - patience is not always easy. But often a good thing!

Hi guys,

Any tips and advice?
The right contract will be available eventually. The key is to avoid jumping on the first contract that meets your minimum requirements but not all of them. That takes real control. In the meantime, make sure that the money for the down payment is available easily because when the right contract appears, you will want to make your offer immediately. Get on the mailing lists for the resale companies that you wish to work with. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter. Use a search engine that looks at all DVC listings among the major resellers. In fact, contact the resellers and let them know exactly what you are looking for (# of points, home resort, UY, no stripped contracts, etc.) so that they can contact you before the listing goes public. When it comes time to negotiate, don't be too rigid. A couple of hundred dollars over the lifetime of a contract means very little in the long run when it's the right contract.

And one more thing - chances are good that sooner will be better than later. Last year, I passed on a couple of good VGF contracts because I thought that the owners were asking way too much. Those same contracts a would sell for $15-$20 per point more this year. How I wish that I could get another VGF add on for the $134/pt. that I paid last year!

Hang out here on the DIS DVC Forums while you wait. Lots of us have been through it. We get it. Friends and family might not! :)

While you wait, read & study all the pinned threads - especially the DVC Resource Center. You'll be a "seasoned" member, well versed in using the system before you even close!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hang out here on the DIS DVC Forums while you wait. Lots of us have been through it. We get it. Friends and family might not! :)

While you wait, read & study all the pinned threads - especially the DVC Resource Center. You'll be a "seasoned" member, well versed in using the system before you even close!

Good luck!

Thank you!!!!

Buy a small contract direct = no wait and then do the rest resale :)

Yes, I agree.

And like the OP, I am Canadian. And I'm wondering why you say "you are Canadian and are the going resale route as you don't mind missing out on the direct perks." We quite enjoy the perks.

It looks like you go to DL more than you go to WDW. If you want to use your points at DL, you may want to purchase GCV points instead of a WDW resort points. It's hard at seven months out to book the GCV.

I have GCV resale points and a small direct contract. It was fun to have a few perks but really, they aren’t worth much of DL is your primary Park. $20 off an AP, some
Merchandise and food discounts-and my favorite, the soaring tour :)

Yes, I agree.

And like the OP, I am Canadian. And I'm wondering why you say "you are Canadian and are the going resale route as you don't mind missing out on the direct perks." We quite enjoy the perks.

DVC won't sell to all Canadian provinces over the phone.

And the perks need to make sense to be worthwhile. Now that it's 75 points to qualify it's more difficult to justify. And if OP goes to DL as someone else suggested there's virtually no way they make sense as there is virtually no AP discount and it takes a lot of food and merchandise purchases to earn it back that way.

I would recommend picking up VGC. We got a great deal on a contract but it was in the hole by about 1/2 of the points. Basically 220 Dec. points, but when we got it, we only had 100 points to use and then started borrowing, it took a couple of years to get us back to even. We would do split stays with a room across the street or cash pay for a couple of nights. But with the savings we got, it was well worth the split stays for a year. Plus we would get to feel the magic a couple of nights.
So that's what I recommend! Good luck.

You'll probably come across some contracts that meet your criteria and get the deal closed in less than a year, but regardless, I thought the process of searching for contracts, researching, and reading the DVC purchasing forum daily was fun and exciting. Then when I finally found a contract I liked, the offer and purchase process was exciting. Then the wait for my member number and making a first reservation was excruciating and exhilarating as well. I guess I'm saying, try to just enjoy the process since you have committed to the resale route (which is the only way I personally would go). I have many good memories of my purchase process, as silly as it may seem.

Clarification: The resale contract closing costs for a small contract make the savings small which makes buying a small contract direct do-able. Perks aside, when buying direct points are immediately available. Plus with a use year like December the purchase would include 2017 and 2018 points for the cost of a months annual dues for 2017. This would give 150 points which the sales guide could immediately book (depending on availability). I think it would still be a month wait for setting up your online account but the vacation would be booked. It might be worth a phone call to check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter