How to use a child's Delta SkyMiles for a flight?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
I have searched and searched, but cant find the answer. I want to book flights for us using our SkyMiles we have earned.
How do I do this when I see no option for paying for my girl's flight with her earned miles from her own account. I have searched the Delta site everywhere for any information with no luck. I thought about booking our flights separate but they do no allow that with someone under 16.
Why do they make this so complicated?

Can you search for flights as an adult using her account as she would be better off booking an adult fare anyway?
IIRC I was able to book solo flights for my kids starting at 15 using either miles or cash but that was SWA and the then US Air.

Can you search for flights as an adult using her account as she would be better off booking an adult fare anyway?
IIRC I was able to book solo flights for my kids starting at 15 using either miles or cash but that was SWA and the then US Air.
Thanks I might go try that.

I did go and try to book it in her account and it will let me. I didn't book it yet though. I was wanting us on the same intinerary.

I don't think you can have anyone else on the same itinerary when you book with points unless you use one persons points to book everyone. Since you are booking Delta and can book seat assignments what is your worry about having separate itinerary's? Not questioning you just asking the question.
My dd's and I often fly with separate itineraries (usually 3!) and other than checking in individually it has never been an issue. Technically your dd can fly alone so I am curious as to what your concerns are.

No I figured I would wait til I I know for sure what flight we want.
I don't understand. You know how many points are in her account, right? So you shop based on points. Why do you need to book with her account online? Find the flights you want and make a phone call. IIRC, Delta will even do a call back so you don't have to wait on hold.

I don't think you can have anyone else on the same itinerary when you book with points unless you use one persons points to book everyone. Since you are booking Delta and can book seat assignments what is your worry about having separate itinerary's? Not questioning you just asking the question.
My dd's and I often fly with separate itineraries (usually 3!) and other than checking in individually it has never been an issue. Technically your dd can fly alone so I am curious as to what your concerns are.
It would just seem easier for seat selections and boarding with the app. I guess it would be fine. She will just have to have her boarding pass open with her account instead of using mine to scan both .

I thought about booking our flights separate but they do no allow that with someone under 16.

Delta doesn’t require the unaccompanied minor program for those 15+. So you could.

Book yours and book hers assuming she’s 15+ and call and have them linked.

As for the app, my son looks like a 17 year old and I put his e-boarding pass on my iPhone wallet and just swipe from mine to his at boarding. Hasn’t been an issue there or at tsa anywhere we’ve traveled.

It would just seem easier for seat selections and boarding with the app. I guess it would be fine. She will just have to have her boarding pass open with her account instead of using mine to scan both .

Yes - and if you haven't flown in a while most airlines require each passenger to have their own boarding pass now anyway. Another option is to stop and print out her BP before hitting security if she doesn't want to use the app.

Its really not that bad - :)

Yes - and if you haven't flown in a while most airlines require each passenger to have their own boarding pass now anyway. Another option is to stop and print out her BP before hitting security if she doesn't want to use the app.

Its really not that bad - :)
We flew in August on Delta and were able to have everyone's BP on my app. Yes, everyone needs a BP, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to be holding their own.

We flew in August on Delta and were able to have everyone's BP on my app. Yes, everyone needs a BP, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to be holding their own.

Maybe different for different airlines but I fly AA and or SWA at least one r/t a month and they want each passenger to hold their own BP.

I remember the most recent time because I was with my kids and they commented that the agent repeated himself quote "I think he said this like 10 times we get it"; and then low and behold the party in front of us had not handed out the BP's and the agent made them do it before he would take them. Then.... he announced it again :)

I was wondering how it would be handled with a digital pass, we haven't used them yet but could you just send screenshots to each passenger?

Last edited:
Yep, but each passenger needs a boarding pass On their own device. They are very clear about that when they call for boarding

Maybe different for different airlines but I fly AA and or SWA at least one r/t a month and they want each passenger to hold their own BP.

From my experience, it's not the airline that decides, it's the individual gate agent.

On my last Delta flight, the gate agent in Los Angeles didn't seem to care. He had no problem with one passenger holding multiple passes for their entire group. Fast forward 5 hours. The gate agent in Atlanta did exactly as you describe. She did the "everyone must hold their own pass" spiel multiple times via the loudspeaker. The first time someone didn't comply, she stopped the boarding process to make the announcement again.

I think this seems harder than it really is. Book your daughter's ticket through her account, and then book yours. You'll have separate confirmation numbers and reservations, but it you want to have a copy of her boarding pass there are several ways to do it:
  • The easiest thing to do is just print out the pass at home or at the airport.
  • If you want a digital pass then use your email address on her reservation and you can have it sent to you after she checks in online.
  • Or use the Delta app, log in, get your boarding pass and put it in your wallet, where it is stored on your phone. One should always do this anyway as the pass is not stored in the Delta app- it's in their server- so if the internet/cell service/Delta website goes down you have no boarding pass.. After you get yours, log out, then go back into the app under her account, find the passes and put those in your wallet as well..
Theoretically you can have a boarding pass in email, a hard copy, one in the app and one in your phone's wallet. All at the same time.

But the easiest thing is just print out her pass. I would make her be responsible for it, though, whichever way she wants to do it.

Last edited:
Why don't you just use her account to gift the miles to you? That's what I do

And we never have trouble flying Delta or AA with 1 phone, all boarding passes. My phone, passes for both DH and I, he has none. Multiple airports, no one has said no

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter