• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to stay hydrated in July/August

luvthemouse71

Former Ride Chicken...
Apologies if this is elsewhere. I am going with my best friend in July. I remember from last time I went in the summer that hydration is key. Are the bubblers still functional ( water fountains to non New Englanders) or do you go to counter service and get water? I’m buying us both water bottles..

Ok, so fountains are down? I’m assuming so because they are around here but Florida seems to be a little more easy going with some things.

I just don’t want to have to pay ridiculous prices for bottled water. I love Disney but Lord knows they price gouge.😁

Ok, so fountains are down? I’m assuming so because they are around here but Florida seems to be a little more easy going with some things.
I just don’t want to have to pay ridiculous prices for bottled water. I love Disney but Lord knows they price gouge.😁

Fountains are working. My kids kept forgetting and trying to drink from them...ugh. But there is no reason to use them—you do not have to pay for water at the quick service. They will give you as many cups of ice water as you want for free without having to order anything else—that has always been Disney’s policy and is still in effect now.

On our past summer trips, we would always fill at least one of our large water bottles with only ice from the resort in the morning. It was great to have super cold water to drink as the day moved on!

On our past summer trips, we would always fill at least one of our large water bottles with only ice from the resort in the morning. It was great to have super cold water to drink as the day moved on!
This is what we do too! I love cold water. We also order water from Amazon Prime Now, put them in the room fridge (or freezer when staying in a larger villa) and pack them in the stroller or park bag for refills throughout the day.

I use a Camelbak bladder in a backpack I am carrying anyway. My DW insists on a Hydroflask bottle because the water stays colder longer. She is right, but they are heavier and you have to remove them going through security. Disney has installed water bottle filling stations in the newer parts of the parks and those are REALLY handy! Yes, they are operational during COVID.

I was concerned about this on our July trip, so this is what worked for us:

I packed a bag of ice in two ziplock freezer bags each morning and put them over and under six waters in a collapsible (lunchbag sized) cooler. I also brought in my insulated tumbler, which was full of iced water when we left for the parks. (All four of us were allowed to share my tumbler.) If QS iced water was convenient, then we got QS water. We also loaded up on plenty of QS water while eating or getting a snack. I would also top off my tumbler at this point. If not, we drank from our bottles.
When we ran out of water, the ice was usually melted. I poured the cold water into my tumbler.
That worked well for us.

I just take a bottle with me and fill it up. I find that I have to ask them to NOT put ice in there because the body absorbs the water better without having to warm it up first from ice.

Also remember to hydrate early and not wait until you're thirsty. When you're thirsty you're already dehydrated.

We usually freeze (DVC) a few plastic water bottles and pack them with other cold water bottles in a couple of over the shoulder soft side cooler bags

Are the bubblers still functional ( water fountains to non New Englanders)
Never heard that name before, but it's adorable. If you forced me to guess what a "bubbler" is, I would've said a kids' water park item.
Oh, yes.
I find water with electrolytes to be more hydrating
Just opening up options: Hikers buy electrolyte tablets to mix into Camelbacks. They sell them at REI and on Amazon. I think Naan is a name brand? We like Cherry-Limeaide ourselves, and we use less than recommended -- we prefer a light touch. Anyway, you could do this with free cups of water.
Disney has installed water bottle filling stations in the newer parts of the parks and those are REALLY handy! Yes, they are operational during COVID.
I first saw these when my oldest started college. Now we have them in my high school. Wonderful inventions.

No one's mentioned one of my favorite methods of hydration: I like to freeze a small water bottle for every family member, pack them in a small cooler and leave them in the trunk. When we exit the park, the bottles are near-melted, and we all have an ice cold water for the trip home.

Apologies if this is elsewhere. I am going with my best friend in July. I remember from last time I went in the summer that hydration is key. Are the bubblers still functional ( water fountains to non New Englanders) or do you go to counter service and get water? I’m buying us both water bottles..
The counter service lines can be really long... Starbucks especially...
I also like to pack a bandanna to wet down and wrap around my neck to cool down . I think Disney sells some type of neck thing but the length & fabric is not right plus bandana from Target much cheaper.
I’m trying to envision cup of water with mobile order policy , for guest & cast protection. Might be different now.
Disney does have specific mask free zones on their maps to allow guests an area to relax. Good to know these areas ahead of time because some locations are kinda secluded or in areas that are not in flow of traffic.

I'm so happy to hear they are still giving free water at qs - i was told they weren't doing that during covid - so this is great news!

The counter service lines can be really long... Starbucks especially...
I also like to pack a bandanna to wet down and wrap around my neck to cool down . I think Disney sells some type of neck thing but the length & fabric is not right plus bandana from Target much cheaper.
I’m trying to envision cup of water with mobile order policy , for guest & cast protection. Might be different now.
Disney does have specific mask free zones on their maps to allow guests an area to relax. Good to know these areas ahead of time because some locations are kinda secluded or in areas that are not in flow of traffic.
To clarify two things:
—Mobile order does not affect water pickup. When they asked at CS entrance if you have a mobile order, I told them I was just getting some ice water, and they let me right through.
—You do not wait in line for ice water. You go directly to the order pickup window. Either they will already have a tray of pre-filled ice waters set out that you can grab, or you can ask the person there for it.
—I don’t know if starbucks would have free waters. The outdoor booths (eg milk stand/popcorn) do NOT have ice waters. I do know that have them at all the major disney counter service restaurants (e.g. Pecos Bills, Sunshine Seasons, Restaurantasaurus)

To clarify two things:
—Mobile order does not affect water pickup. When they asked at CS entrance if you have a mobile order, I told them I was just getting some ice water, and they let me right through.
—You do not wait in line for ice water. You go directly to the order pickup window. Either they will already have a tray of pre-filled ice waters set out that you can grab, or you can ask the person there for it.
—I don’t know if starbucks would have free waters. The outdoor booths (eg milk stand/popcorn) do NOT have ice waters. I do know that have them at all the major disney counter service restaurants (e.g. Pecos Bills, Sunshine Seasons, Restaurantasaurus)
Starbucks has free ice water, triple filtered.
Also a good spot if you're close would be the first aid offices

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter